"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

My downstairs kitchen is carpeted wall to wall Andy. Thankfully I hardly ever use that kitchen otherwise the carpet would be disgusting.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo bummed right now. My family had one of those for years in our tv room. I used to sit and work the peddle over and over and over, drove my mom nuts because it would squeek. My dad wouldn't let me have it when I moved and now we aren't speaking so I don't know if he has it or my brother has it. I would love to do something like this with it but I don't know who's got it. If my dad has it, I don't have a snowball's chance in Hades of getting it. If my brother has it, there may be a chance.

BoardSMITH ~ that is a true work of art.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My downstairs kitchen is carpeted wall to wall Andy. Thankfully I hardly ever use that kitchen otherwise the carpet would be disgusting.
Wow GB, you have ANOTHER kitchen downstairs. Almost important as having EXTRA bathroom! Good for you! Never heard of someone having TWO kitchens! Now I can dream more. You deserve it. Sometime good things happen to good people! You are one of them. Count your blessings.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Wow GB, you have ANOTHER kitchen downstairs. Almost important as having EXTRA bathroom! Good for you! Never heard of someone having TWO kitchens! Now I can dream more. You deserve it. Sometime good things happen to good people! You are one of them. Count your blessings.
My first rental here in Mooresville had two kitchens and the owner put up a wall between the two and made the house into a duplex. When she sold it the new owners took down the wall but left the two kitchens. That was the only time I'd ever seen such a thing. Interesting that GB has two also.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

one of my collecting phases was one of treadle sewing machines.....had nine at my high point!

I will say that the metal bases of those old treadles are perfect for supporting a table top...they have flat brackets at the top with holes to screw in any top to the base...and they are very heavy...would make a very sturdy base

I still have two of them...one an old ugly working White Rotary and the singer treadle from my grandmother, which does not work at present
Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have 3 old treadle sewing machines and one treadle base table. And yup the treadles are in working condition.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
My first rental here in Mooresville had two kitchens and the owner put up a wall between the two and made the house into a duplex. When she sold it the new owners took down the wall but left the two kitchens. That was the only time I'd ever seen such a thing. Interesting that GB has two also.
I don't even think Martha Stewart has two kitchens! Glad you feel the same way I do Callisto, guess we can always dream. Just looked at a home for sale that was 15'x15' seemed like was more than twice the size of the kitchen I have. You may think I have 'two' kitchens by all the stuff I have to store in the basement plus the fridge and freezer. Up and down, up and down. Better quit complaining at least we have something to eat.

Hope i didn't 'hi= jack' this thread. Just say what comes to my mind. Hope people don't lose it because I say what is on my mind?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

That looks sharp! It's great how it goes with the rest of the kitchen, and adds a great conversation piece.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Great idea and you can find those machines or at least the base everywhere. You can buy them reasonably. Creates a great and sturdy work piece as long as the height works for you
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

It is a great idea! Those Singer sewing machines and or the base can be found easily. Will make a sturdy work area. Make sure the height will work for you.