Is a new kitchen a cooking tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No--it's a reward for your patience and putting up with a "crappy" kitchen. I'm sending you a virtual Tomte for your new home. Feed him rice pudding on XMas Eve.

Tomte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember, if you don't like the color, you can always repaint. Painting is a lot easier than ripping out a wall (or two).

All the best and may your happiest memories be those times spent with those you love in your new home.

Last edited:
Boy you got that right. Thank God for Habitat for Humanity Restore. We had to put in 8 doors and the hardware (hinges and doorknobs) All of that came to about $50.00 because they were having a big sale. We also got a bathroom vanity and a toilet (beautiful) from them for next to nothing. But anything we can't get there seems to cost an arm and a leg. We got really lucky yesterday at Menards. Bought 5 gallons of paint for 11 dollars each and there was an 11 dollar rebate on them so they were actually free. (ceiling paint) I wish I could find deals like that on the wall paint!

Stuff for the house is so expensive. Of course the big box stores offer some cheaper alternatives, but they are cheap and you will be replacing them in no time. I would rather get used high quality, than new and cheap.

CW, thanks, I printed out the wiki reference for dh to read. How kind of you.
bakechef, I agree with you. Some of the nicest stuff I own is stuff I got second hand. I lucked out last weekend and got a huge container of cream colored curtains for five bucks. There were over twenty curtains in the box. A couple of them had small tears in them but the rest will be perfect for me to cover all of my upstairs windows. It is deals like that that mean that I can almost afford to spend money on the really important things like plumbing. But we have just been amazed at the way the Lord has provided for us. Everytime we need something we seem to find just that very thing at a very reasonalbe price. It's so much fun. And we are so thankful.

A Tomte is not meant to be anti-religous. Sorry if I offended you by offering Tomte to celebrate your new house (and kitchen). It is a Swedish custom to give new property owners a Tomte. I certainly didn't mean to offend you or your beliefs by offering the "cyper" Tompte.

A Tomte is not meant to be anti-religous. Sorry if I offended you by offering Tomte to celebrate your new house (and kitchen). It is a Swedish custom to give new property owners a Tomte. I certainly didn't mean to offend you or your beliefs by offering the "cyper" Tompte.

I was not at all offended, I was touched. The kindness of others is always welcome no matter the custom. I enjoyed learning about the Tomte. Now every time I look at a garden gnome I'll have a different perspective on them. I truly thank you.

If you have a freecycle in your area, that's a great way to get some "new to you" things. Just google it.

Hmmm...you might want to be careful about calling Tomte a gnome...that might be enough to tick Tomte off...A Tomte is very territorial and protective of its tomt (and those who live on it) and isn't known for having alchemist powers. Since a Tomte is very fond of rice pudding, you might want to make rice pudding as one of the first desserts you make in that new kitchen. That would probably make the Tomte happy (and would probably help Tomte forget you used "garden gnome" and Tomte in the same breath ;-)).

Last edited:
Rice pudding...Hmmmm...fine by me but now I have to decide who is worse to ####-off, the tomte or my oh-so-much-attitude 14 year old who hates rice. After this very long day I'm thinking it would be better to aggrevate the tomte ;p

I'd vote for aggrevating the 14-yr. old. You don't want to know what Tomtar do when they are ticked off <g>. A 14-yr. old will get over it, a Tomte...hmmm...bring on the rice pudding. (And it is obvious from the amount of dog hair floating around the house, I pissed off the hustomte when I moved to the farm...and the hustomte packed up and left). I don't know if there is enough rice on earth to make into rice pudding to convince the hustomte to come back...wonder if I can move to the house where the hustomte went...haven't seen a listing that would give me a clue as to where the hustomte went. I'm guessing it would read something like this: "3 bedrooms, gourmet kitchen, pantry, 2 full baths, acreage, and resident happy hustomte."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom