Is that oven thermometer accurate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
My years old Taylor hanging oven thermometer went bad after I sprayed it with EZ OFF oven spray to clean off all the built up gunk.

Anyways, I recently bought a replacement generic brand hanging oven thermometer but wish I had bought two in order to see if one was faulty. My years old Taylor brand read the oven temp at what I set the oven to. This new thermometer reads as much as 15 degrees higher than the oven set temp.

My recent owner bought this oven which is a GE low cost Home Depot buy. Man, this oven alerts you the temp has been reached when it's nowhere near the temp you set it for. You can adjust the oven's digital controls to try and correct that, but then the oven settles in at too hot or cold a temp. I can deal with the cheap oven. I'll buy another oven thermometer to check it against the one I have. In fact, that's what I'll do from now on whenever I buy an oven thermometer. Come to think of it, I should actually buy three of them in order to find the two that are closest to each other in temp reading. Return the other two. :LOL:

Last edited:
I have an old Taylor mercury oven thermometer, and 2 other, cheaper ones, that are right on what the Taylor shows, when I test them out. Amazingly, that old (1977) Farberware countertop convection oven has an almost perfect thermostat, as well as both of the '83 wolf ovens - only had to adjust the large one on the Wolf range once, and, fortunately, this is simple - just a small screw under the knob. When they start putting more crap on these things, trying to take the thinking out of cooking, it gives more things to go bad.

I still check the temps, but it's nice when I see that I really didn't have to.

A few years ago, ATK recommended this one. I have it and it seems to work well although I don't use it in the oven much anymore.

Oven temperatures oscillate. Here's a good article explaining this:

https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermometer/thermal-secrets-oven-calibration/

I've read similar stories from a number of different sources. An oven set at 350 will heat to a higher temperature (such as 370) before the heating source stops, and then won't come on again until a lower temperature is reached (such as 330). This is true of both gas and electric ovens, and the belief that an electric oven is more consistent is a myth.

I've read similar stories from a number of different sources. An oven set at 350 will heat to a higher temperature (such as 370) before the heating source stops, and then won't come on again until a lower temperature is reached (such as 330). This is true of both gas and electric ovens, and the belief that an electric oven is more consistent is a myth.

This has always been the case. As long as the average temperature is where you set it, there should not be an issue.

The problem comes when the highs and lows fluctuate wildly and the average is way off from the setting.

I have that Chef Alarm thermometer. I don't think I saw the air probe when I bought it. I should go see if there are other things I want from Thermoworks, because I don't want to pay flat rate shipping to Canada for one little probe. BTW, their flat rate shipping to Canada is a very good deal. It includes taxes and duty, so I don't have to deal with that when it arrives.

Had a look. The air probe by itself is USD 18.00 (~CAD 23.82). I might just get the thermometer Andy recommends from Amazon. The hubster has Amazon Prime, so I think I can get that with free shipping.

Phooey, that Taylor Oven Guide Thermometer is CAD 19.49 (~USD 14.73). Now I remember why I haven't bought an oven thermometer yet - too much foofing around figuring out how much it costs in money I understand and dealing with shipping and the stupid differences in prices, then I just give up.

Back
Top Bottom