ISO a French Press coffee maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
At a party on my buddy's boat this past summer, my buddy made a few cups of coffee from a French Press doohickey that my wife raved about.

I was thinking of getting her a French Press thing (what the hell do you call it) as a gift for Christmas.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one?
TIA. :chef:

Bucky, aye French Press it is called. be careful though, French Pressed coffee makes for an addictive Irish Coffee (Bushmills please)! Buy one locally at a store. The glass is pretty thin and you know how some shippers can be. Fragile is a key word for "crush, kill, destroy!:ermm::ohmy:

I can't comment on French presses, but coffee makers can vary quite a bit in the quality of the brew. After reading way too much on the internet I bought a Bonavita to replace a Mr. Coffee model. The difference was quite noticeable - the Bonavita produced a much better brew. I buy beans from a local roaster and grind just before brewing, so the comparison was made with the same beans. Here's a link to SCAA's list of certified home brewers:

Specialty Coffee Association of America

Another resource you might find interesting (includes instructions for using a press):

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/

Last edited:
I bought an Oxo Good Grips French Press at Bed Bugs and Beyond and the first time I used it, it threw up all over me. I returned it and got a Bonjour unit instead and it works quite well. Before that I had a Bodum French press and it worked fine, but it fell over in the sink and the glass carafe broke. I had a gift card and a 20% off coupon from BB&B but they had no Bodum presses. I believe I bought my Bodum press at Cost Plus World Market.

Thank you casey, Craigsy, 10spd, and Sir Loin.

I'm probably going to check out Anazon, then see what compares in Bed, Bugs, Beyond.

I hope to find one with a sturdy carafe. The one's I've seen so far are really thin and fragile.

I don’t even know what brand of press I have. It’s a cheapy from Walmart or Target, or something I picked up on sale at the grocery store. I love using it for cold-brew coffee. I make it really really strong, brew it overnight in the fridge with a cinnamon stick and cardamom seed, then make Thai iced coffee with some sweet evaporated milk. But, alas, winter is here, and iced drinks are as inappropriate as wearing white after Labor Day ��. Ya know what? I don’t care! See the poem I Will Wear Purple!

I'm probably going to check out Anazon, then see what compares in Bed, Bugs, Beyond.

I hope to find one with a sturdy carafe. The one's I've seen so far are really thin and fragile.
BT, I think you are going to find that they are all thin and fragile..I've gone through half a dozen over the years..they are like wine glasses..they will break eventually..so, I wouldn't spend a ton of cash because you may be buying one again for next xmas...:santa:

The glass on my Bodum presses are thin, but not really all that fragile.

CD

If you want a sturdy unbreakable one, say for camping, Dicks carries one.

I break the carafe occasionally and keep a spare. I've not found much difference between cheap and Bodum.

The last two I bought were at a Goodwill. two or three bucks. One was brand new Bodum.

Thanks for the suggestions and info everyone.

The camping/stainless steel ones sound interesting.

I have a vacuum insulated double walled stainless steel French press in a liter size and I like it. It keeps coffee hot during and after steeping.
I also have a single serving glass French press but don't use that any more as the coffee cooled too quickly before serving.

The most popular brand is Bodum. That's what I have. I don't make coffee in a French press very often, but it is good coffee, if you like bold flavor.

Remember to use a courser ground coffee than you would for drip.

https://www.bodum.com/us/en/coffee/coffee-makers

CD
A Bodum is wonderful for making loss leaf tea and coffee. I have two--one for tea, one for coffee. I was bringing a spare carafe to my brother when I found him dead. He had dropped his and it broke. I haven't used either of mine since, and I still have the spare carafe. I have been using a Biallati 2 cup Expresso stove top pot. I only have one cup a day. It makes, IMO, the best coffee. That's also what the caregivers tell me. 1-1/2 scoop of coffee, wait 6 minutes, ready. One of these, but a 2 cup.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CNY6U...t=&hvlocphy=9020272&hvtargid=pla-285822544971

Don't have either a French Press or Espresso, but having gone over this thread it seems like you will get a different answer/suggestion from those that do.

Unless you have a slew of people, who each own a different make, with whom you can try each model out ... well, good luck!

Perhaps you can go to a specialty store and speak with a "knowledgeable" salesperson. Stick within your price range and see what they suggest.

I'm assuming that the need for the French press has come and gone, but to me, it seems a bit like The Emperor's new clothes.

Pour hot water over ground coffee, let it steep, filter/strain, and enjoy.

The older I get, the more I cook like I'm in a vacation rental with one dented pot and a melted plastic spoon. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm assuming that the need for the French press has come and gone, but to me, it seems a bit like The Emperor's new clothes.

Pour hot water over ground coffee, let it steep, filter/strain, and enjoy.

The older I get, the more I cook like I'm in a vacation rental with one dented pot and a melted plastic spoon. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Oh, how I can relate to that.

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom