ISO a Good Meat Probe Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Over the past dozen years, I've had three of these. Two Polders like the one in the picture and another brand I can't remember. My current Polder just started acting up. I did some testing in the usual boiling and ice water mediums and was able to determine I need a new instrument.

I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want another Polder or one that makes me select BEEF, RARE and beeps at 140ºF.

I'd appreciate recommendations please. What do you use that you really like?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 692
I have a Polder probe model too. Sometimes I just scratch my head at how messed up the buttons are, and slam the probe in my roast and ignore everything but the internal temperature.

OTOH I have a Polder instant read shirt pocket thermometer that is just perfect. It has too buttons: ON/OFF and C/F.

Maybe Polder should stick to two buttons.

And I don't want advice on RARE, MR, etc. What kind of idiot needs a thermometer that knows more about this than the chef? I think you and I agree that we don't want to have some stupid brainy thermometer telling us how to cook meat/poultry/fish. We have the Internet for that.

Small-Meat-Thermometer-T154-Dish-Washer-Safe-.jpg

I use one like this...I ain't real keen on depending on batteries.
I am quite sure this isn't the answer you are lookin' for.
Just saying this rig ain't never let me down.

I have a couple of those. You're right, they are dependable, and they're very inexpensive too.

I have the Original Thermoworks.

265x265px-LS-e0ca33bf_B0019R4HQQ-31akf3rdpwL.jpg

$19 on Amazon. I like it. It works. The alarm volume is adequate. The battery life is extraordinary. (I often forget to turn it off, and it's been over a year.)

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about the thermapen. I'll check out the site.

I'm an amateur chef, I have never met any professional chefs... So I pose a question:

I cannot imagine a professional chef working without a shirt pocket instant read thermometer. For my profession it is as unthinkable as an engineer not having a DMM (digital multi-meter, capable of measuring voltage, current and resistance of electrical circuits).

It seems to me that every chef, professional or amateur, should have at least one instant read thermometer.

Even better to have a constant probe in that roast in your oven or smoker.

My wired probe thermometer has a silicone coated cord and I really prefer that. I had two with uncoated cords and as soon as the metal cord got squished or damaged in any way, it wouldn't read correctly. I've had the one with the coated cord for about 5 years now and no problems. I think that I got it at Target, so not a super expensive one.

I've been using my Polder in the Weber kettle to monitor grill temps when smoking. Pinching the cable under the lid may have contributed to it's demise even though it's advertised for BBQ use.

Maybe you should have run it through the rotisserie hole.

I've closed my Polder thermometer remote probe in the oven door but that door is softened by gaskets.

I have had problems with electronic thermometers, so I use one similar to Hoot's.

Mine is for candy and deep frying. It goes up to 400F. It's dishwasher safe. It reads faster than any instant read thermometer that I have ever used. I can calibrate it in boiling water / ice water using the adjusting nut just below the head, on the stem.

I have had problems with electronic thermometers, so I use one similar to Hoot's.

Mine is for candy and deep frying. It goes up to 400F. It's dishwasher safe. It reads faster than any instant read thermometer that I have ever used. I can calibrate it in boiling water / ice water using the adjusting nut just below the head, on the stem.
+ 1

I recently bought a CDN ProAccurate. So far so good.

I have the standard Maverick for the smoker (with the box and food probes).

If you broke the probe wire you could always get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom