ISO alternative to box grater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I have a pair of safety gloves that I bought to use with my mandolin. I hated the pusher tool that came with it (I actually quit using the mandolin at all because it was such a hassle), so the gloves let me slice like crazy without worrying. I love my mandolin now. :chef:

I used to have a flat grater like the one pictured. It worked fine.

For some forgotten reason, I bought a box grater like the one pictured.

I found the box grater MUCH MUCH easier to use and have since forgotten the flat grater.

They are both stainless steel and went into the DW for final cleaning. It's worth re-emphasis to say a quick rinse right after use saves major time and effort in cleaning.

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 136
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 129
I used to have a flat grater like the one pictured. It worked fine.

For some forgotten reason, I bought a box grater like the one pictured.

I found the box grater MUCH MUCH easier to use and have since forgotten the flat grater.

They are both stainless steel and went into the DW for final cleaning. It's worth re-emphasis to say a quick rinse right after use saves major time and effort in cleaning.

Thanks Andy. Why was the box grater easier to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Yes, Andy, why do you find it easier? Actually, I never found it hard to use, just dangerous. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.

My box grater is a Microplane grater. Unlike most, it only has 2 cutting sides, but I like it. It has rubber on the open end so it doesn't slip, and I never really used the slicer in the old box we had. That's what my mandolin is for.

I used to make hash browns by putting them through the food processor using the grater disc. Clean-up involved little more than running it through the dishwasher.

Thanks Andy. Why was the box grater easier to use?

With the flat grater, you have to hold the grater steady with one hand while you press the food against it and grate with the other. You typically are holding the grater at an angle and grating at an angle so you have to hold steady with each stroke.

With the box, all you have to do is steady the grater on a cutting board or plate and grate away. All the grated food is confined to the inside of the box and not scattered all around. Also, you are grating on a vertical plane so your downstroke is against the countertop/cutting board rather than against your other hand.

...No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.

I'm sorry CG. No matter what kind of grater you use, some caution must be exercised to keep your personal parts intact.

With the flat grater, you have to hold the grater steady with one hand while you press the food against it and grate with the other. You typically are holding the grater at an angle and grating at an angle so you have to hold steady with each stroke.

With the box, all you have to do is steady the grater on a cutting board or plate and grate away. All the grated food is confined to the inside of the box and not scattered all around. Also, you are grating on a vertical plane so your downstroke is against the countertop/cutting board rather than against your other hand.

Absolutely agree. The flat ones are a pain to hold steady, especially if you're trying to get the food into a bowl. With a box grater and a bench scraper, it's really easy to get the food where you want it to go.

Yes, Andy, why do you find it easier? Actually, I never found it hard to use, just dangerous. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.

I bought a cut-resistant glove to use with my mandoline to protect my delicate fingers ;) It works great with the box grater, too, and goes right in the laundry.

I'm sorry CG. No matter what kind of grater you use, some caution must be exercised to keep your personal parts intact.
Geeeeez, Andy, I'm clumsy, not stupid. Well, sometimes I'm stupid, but it's not for discussion here... The funny thing is whenever I use a mandolin or my food processor, I never hurt myself. :huh:

I bought a cut-resistant glove to use with my mandoline to protect my delicate fingers ;) It works great with the box grater, too, and goes right in the laundry.
My hands have good days and bad. Many days my pinching function doesn't want to pinch. :( Even my dish washing gloves make my hands feel like they're encased in concrete some days. So if gloves work for you, glad to hear it. For me, I'll stick with my flat grater and bare hands.

I place the grater across the top of my prep bowl that is about the same diameter as my grater is long. Hold both with the left hand, grate with my right. No nicks, no cuts, no slop on the counter, and no slipping. I guess it really IS different strokes for different folks. :D

My hands have good days and bad. Many days my pinching function doesn't want to pinch. :( Even my dish washing gloves make my hands feel like they're encased in concrete some days. So if gloves work for you, glad to hear it. For me, I'll stick with my flat grater and bare hands.

I place the grater across the top of my prep bowl that is about the same diameter as my grater is long. Hold both with the left hand, grate with my right. No nicks, no cuts, no slop on the counter, and no slipping. I guess it really IS different strokes for different folks. :D

Whatever works! :clap:

Geeeeez, Andy, I'm clumsy, not stupid. Well, sometimes I'm stupid, but it's not for discussion here... The funny thing is whenever I use a mandolin or my food processor, I never hurt myself. :huh:

I was JUST going to post this! I do the same way - as long as the flat grater is just a little longer than the bowl is wide, it works for me. I put the bowl on a dampened tea towel to help keep it from sliding around.

I have a box grater too, but don't use it quite as much as I do the flat grater. It has come in handy many times, though. It might just be that I usually cook for one and the flat grater is less bulky for the little amount that I usually need to shred.

I have a box grater that's almost never used.

This is used 99% of the time and when I went looking where to buy one, it's on a vintage site. Dang, I guess I've had it since the 60's! :ohmy:
I use a paper plate under it, and grate away. The metal part is 6x4

img_1467065_0_8b274502f4450677970a2f13b27f4909.jpg

Last edited:
I have a box grater that's almost never used.

This is used 99% of the time and when I went looking where to buy one, it's on a vintage site. Dang, I guess I've had it since the 60's! :ohmy:
I use a paper plate under it, and grate away. The metal part is 6x4

img_1467070_0_8b274502f4450677970a2f13b27f4909.jpg

Kayelle is that a Tablecraft grater? It looks like one of theirs.

How do you protect your fingers when you get to the last bit of potato? Do you wear the gloves people mentioned or is there a gadget that can hold the potato?

The grater I have is no longer made by Ecko, however Bradshaw carries a similar one. Remember mine is a course one with big holes.
I don't grate potatoes anymore, but I remember just tossing the last sliver of potato to save my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom