"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I have a pair of safety gloves that I bought to use with my mandolin. I hated the pusher tool that came with it (I actually quit using the mandolin at all because it was such a hassle), so the gloves let me slice like crazy without worrying. I love my mandolin now.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #22
Master Chef

This the one I have: Sears.com

Works like a charm.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I used to have a flat grater like the one pictured. It worked fine.

For some forgotten reason, I bought a box grater like the one pictured.

I found the box grater MUCH MUCH easier to use and have since forgotten the flat grater.

They are both stainless steel and went into the DW for final cleaning. It's worth re-emphasis to say a quick rinse right after use saves major time and effort in cleaning.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I used to have a flat grater like the one pictured. It worked fine.

For some forgotten reason, I bought a box grater like the one pictured.

I found the box grater MUCH MUCH easier to use and have since forgotten the flat grater.

They are both stainless steel and went into the DW for final cleaning. It's worth re-emphasis to say a quick rinse right after use saves major time and effort in cleaning.

Thanks Andy. Why was the box grater easier to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
Master Chef

Yes, Andy, why do you find it easier? Actually, I never found it hard to use, just dangerous. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
Head Chef

My box grater is a Microplane grater. Unlike most, it only has 2 cutting sides, but I like it. It has rubber on the open end so it doesn't slip, and I never really used the slicer in the old box we had. That's what my mandolin is for.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
Wine Guy

I used to make hash browns by putting them through the food processor using the grater disc. Clean-up involved little more than running it through the dishwasher.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks Andy. Why was the box grater easier to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
With the flat grater, you have to hold the grater steady with one hand while you press the food against it and grate with the other. You typically are holding the grater at an angle and grating at an angle so you have to hold steady with each stroke.

With the box, all you have to do is steady the grater on a cutting board or plate and grate away. All the grated food is confined to the inside of the box and not scattered all around. Also, you are grating on a vertical plane so your downstroke is against the countertop/cutting board rather than against your other hand.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.
I'm sorry CG. No matter what kind of grater you use, some caution must be exercised to keep your personal parts intact.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
With the flat grater, you have to hold the grater steady with one hand while you press the food against it and grate with the other. You typically are holding the grater at an angle and grating at an angle so you have to hold steady with each stroke.

With the box, all you have to do is steady the grater on a cutting board or plate and grate away. All the grated food is confined to the inside of the box and not scattered all around. Also, you are grating on a vertical plane so your downstroke is against the countertop/cutting board rather than against your other hand.
Absolutely agree. The flat ones are a pain to hold steady, especially if you're trying to get the food into a bowl. With a box grater and a bench scraper, it's really easy to get the food where you want it to go.