"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I have a pair of safety gloves that I bought to use with my mandolin. I hated the pusher tool that came with it (I actually quit using the mandolin at all because it was such a hassle), so the gloves let me slice like crazy without worrying. I love my mandolin now.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #22
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
This the one I have: Sears.com



Works like a charm.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
I used to have a flat grater like the one pictured. It worked fine.

For some forgotten reason, I bought a box grater like the one pictured.

I found the box grater MUCH MUCH easier to use and have since forgotten the flat grater.

They are both stainless steel and went into the DW for final cleaning. It's worth re-emphasis to say a quick rinse right after use saves major time and effort in cleaning.
Attached Images
  
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I used to have a flat grater like the one pictured. It worked fine.



For some forgotten reason, I bought a box grater like the one pictured.



I found the box grater MUCH MUCH easier to use and have since forgotten the flat grater.



They are both stainless steel and went into the DW for final cleaning. It's worth re-emphasis to say a quick rinse right after use saves major time and effort in cleaning.

Thanks Andy. Why was the box grater easier to use?


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,285
Yes, Andy, why do you find it easier? Actually, I never found it hard to use, just dangerous. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
My box grater is a Microplane grater. Unlike most, it only has 2 cutting sides, but I like it. It has rubber on the open end so it doesn't slip, and I never really used the slicer in the old box we had. That's what my mandolin is for.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
I used to make hash browns by putting them through the food processor using the grater disc. Clean-up involved little more than running it through the dishwasher.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks Andy. Why was the box grater easier to use?


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
With the flat grater, you have to hold the grater steady with one hand while you press the food against it and grate with the other. You typically are holding the grater at an angle and grating at an angle so you have to hold steady with each stroke.

With the box, all you have to do is steady the grater on a cutting board or plate and grate away. All the grated food is confined to the inside of the box and not scattered all around. Also, you are grating on a vertical plane so your downstroke is against the countertop/cutting board rather than against your other hand.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.
I'm sorry CG. No matter what kind of grater you use, some caution must be exercised to keep your personal parts intact.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
With the flat grater, you have to hold the grater steady with one hand while you press the food against it and grate with the other. You typically are holding the grater at an angle and grating at an angle so you have to hold steady with each stroke.

With the box, all you have to do is steady the grater on a cutting board or plate and grate away. All the grated food is confined to the inside of the box and not scattered all around. Also, you are grating on a vertical plane so your downstroke is against the countertop/cutting board rather than against your other hand.
Absolutely agree. The flat ones are a pain to hold steady, especially if you're trying to get the food into a bowl. With a box grater and a bench scraper, it's really easy to get the food where you want it to go.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.