ISO alternative to box grater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely agree. The flat ones are a pain to hold steady, especially if you're trying to get the food into a bowl. With a box grater and a bench scraper, it's really easy to get the food where you want it to go.

Have to disagree. I really think it is personal preference. It is what you used to, it is what you more comfortable. I much prefer flat grater.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Have to disagree. I really think it is personal preference. It is what you used to, it is what you more comfortable. I much prefer flat grater.

My one major requirement for me with any hand held piece of equipment is that it have rubber feet for stability.

I have several flat graters. The once I like the best are the ones with some rubber rings wrapped around bottom stand/handle.

What to do with a box grater you hate. :LOL:

img_1467153_0_08a1cccc10a71bfbe61e5360ebadf6e6.jpg

Not a flat grater but works great for potatoes.
https://www.amazon.com/SHINKODA-SK-...=UTF8&qid=1465586480&sr=8-2&keywords=Shinkoda
It has a grater, at least 2 slicing blades, and a rotary cutter that will chop or dice almost everything very fine. Takes less than 10 seconds to get finely chopped onions.
Heck, it beats egg whites wonderfully. If you are so inclined, it will make thin batters like for waffles, cakes, etc. I know I did that today. Clean up is a snap. Oh I even made a very simple frosting.

https://www.amazon.com/SHINKODA-SK-...=UTF8&qid=1465586480&sr=8-2&keywords=Shinkoda
It has a grater, at least 2 slicing blades, and a rotary cutter that will chop or dice almost everything very fine. Takes less than 10 seconds to get finely chopped onions.
Heck, it beats egg whites wonderfully. If you are so inclined, it will make thin batters like for waffles, cakes, etc. I know I did that today. Clean up is a snap. Oh I even made a very simple frosting.

Boy, you are really promoting this device. I hope you're getting paid.

How is this different from a small food processor? I have the Cuisinart Mini.

How is this different from a small food processor? I have the Cuisinart Mini.
This one is manual, not electric. It holds up to 4 cups.
When using the blade, you turn clockwise for chopping and counter-clockwise for blending.
Note: whenever you grate something, there is no chance of the food getting stuck between the top of the food processor and the shredder blade.
Oh and it works much better than my Hamilton Beach food processor.
Actually faster and easier to clean.

This one is manual, not electric. It holds up to 4 cups.
When using the blade, you turn clockwise for chopping and counter-clockwise for blending.
Note: whenever you grate something, there is no chance of the food getting stuck between the top of the food processor and the shredder blade.
Oh and it works much better than my Hamilton Beach food processor.
Actually faster and easier to clean.

The advantage I see is in using this gadget is that the whole potato can be grated. With a box grater there's always a piece at the end I don't grate because I'm afraid of hurting my fingers.

The advantage I see is in using this gadget is that the whole potato can be grated. With a box grater there's always a piece at the end I don't grate because I'm afraid of hurting my fingers.

I love it for making sliced potatoes for scalloped potatoes too.
But do click on the black one, it isn't an add on item.
Oh and the other cool thing, the potatoes will go straight into the bowl.

I love it for making sliced potatoes for scalloped potatoes too.
But do click on the black one, it isn't an add on item.
Oh and the other cool thing, the potatoes will go straight into the bowl.

Do you have to use a lot of force to grate potatoes with this product?

No. Very little in fact. Literally just move the potato back and forth.
I have not so great hands and what I recommended is a life saver.
The grater is very stable.

No. Very little in fact. Literally just move the potato back and forth.
I have not so great hands and what I recommended is a life saver.
The grater is very stable.

I'm confused...isn't the potato inside the gadget while it's being grated? How dose this work?

Back
Top Bottom