"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO alternative to box grater

I used my KitchenAid box grater, using the course side, to make hash browns. It's kind of a pain to clean, so I would like to find a single-sided grater.

I saw this Oxo grater at BBB. Is this course enough for hash browns?
OXO Good Grips® Handheld Coarse Grater - BedBathandBeyond.com

Old 05-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It looks like that Oxo thing will do the trick. I use a box grater regularly for cheese, potatoes, carrots, etc. A quick rinse usually gets it clean enough to put in the dishwasher.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I used my KitchenAid box grater, using the course side, to make hash browns. It's kind of a pain to clean, so I would like to find a single-sided grater.

Whenever I use something like that for potatoes, I rinse it immediately so that the starch doesn't set up. Same when I grate cheese. I'll just drop it immediately into the sink of sudsy water that I always have ready when I cook. I wash items like that as I go during breaks in the work cycle. I'll take a minute or so to wash a couple of items. That way I keep the mess under control and final cleanup isn't such a chore.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Master Chef

http://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-Sucti...kitchen+kutter

I use this. I got it from my MIL a long time ago. Didn't know they were so expensive! I use it all the time for slicing things thin, grating cheese or potatoes, the biggest cone makes decent french fries. Just pop it in the dishwasher and it all comes out nice and clean.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Amazon.com: Vollrath (6005) Suction Cup Base King Kutter(TM) Food Processor w/Cones #1-5: Cheese Shredder: Kitchen & Dining

I use this. I got it from my MIL a long time ago. Didn't know they were so expensive! I use it all the time for slicing things thin, grating cheese or potatoes, the biggest cone makes decent french fries. Just pop it in the dishwasher and it all comes out nice and clean.
Kinda funny, but when you read the reviews on Amazon, they are either glowing or they call it totally useless - not much in between. Maybe there are some quality control issues with the product or something, I don't know, but at that price, I wouldn't be taking the gamble.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I like the bags of frozen potatoes already grated for hash browns.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I like the bags of frozen potatoes already grated for hash browns.

If you're lazy, Kay, guess I am too. I'm a big fan of frozen hash browns and Tator Tots.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Even lazier here... I use the dehydrated shreds ;)
Old 05-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post

To answer the original question, yes it looks like a good coarseness for hashbrowns.

I personally like to use the grater attachment on my food processor because it's super fast for shredding lots of potatoes (or cheese) and i've shredded my knuckles on the manual ones a few time. If you want fewer surfaces to clean this is probably not the best method. Oddly enough, hashbrowns are one of the areas where I would happily go through the extra steps to make fresh rather than buy the frozen bags.

Dehydrated take too long to reconstitute, and then they still have a weird texture, in my memory at least.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
To answer the original question, yes it looks like a good coarseness for hashbrowns.

I personally like to use the grater attachment on my food processor because it's super fast for shredding lots of potatoes (or cheese) and i've shredded my knuckles on the manual ones a few time. If you want fewer surfaces to clean this is probably not the best method. Oddly enough, hashbrowns are one of the areas where I would happily go through the extra steps to make fresh rather than buy the frozen bags.

Dehydrated take too long to reconstitute, and then they still have a weird texture, in my memory at least.
Hi LE and welcome to Discuss Cooking.
I would be interested to hear the reason for your view on this. Obviously I disagree, as the frozen product is perfect every time with no effort at all.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote