"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

To be honest, I have trouble understanding where I would use "flatware" during food prep, other than a spoon or two for tasting purposes. Flatware is what I eat with, utensils are what I prep and cook with, and they are not the same thing.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
To be honest, I have trouble understanding where I would use "flatware" during food prep, other than a spoon or two for tasting purposes. Flatware is what I eat with, utensils are what I prep and cook with, and they are not the same thing.

What would you call forks and spoons used for food prep? Aren't they called flatware? Maybe I'm confused about the terminology.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 01-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
What would you call forks and spoons used for food prep? Aren't they called flatware? Maybe I'm confused about the terminology.

I use cooking utensils such as tongs and wooden spatulas and spoons. Occasionally I use a spoon to taste or a fork which I just take out of the flatware drawer.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Addie, I think those are the same spoons I ordered, they're wonderful for all sorts of things, and I agree, Iced Tea Spoons are fabulous for so many functions... the last of something in a jar, in a parfait glass full of Ice Cream or Jello, the list goes on!
My mother had those spoons. My sister took her silver, but I insisted on having at least one of her soup spoons. I still have it. Pirate wants it after. I am tempted to give it to him now. I am so tired of polishing it. Yet I just can't seem to let it go. Every so often I will pull it out and use it as the sugar spoon.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use cooking utensils such as tongs and wooden spatulas and spoons. Occasionally I use a spoon to taste or a fork which I just take out of the flatware drawer.
That's exactly what I meant, Andy! I'm looking for simple flatware that I wouldn't use for guests—just for tasting and prep like scooping out avocados and mangoes.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Andy has it right. What you are looking for are cooking utensils. Spatulas, egg turners, meat forks, ladles, and any piece of equipment that is specifically used in the preparation of cooking food. What you have purchased is flatware or tableware. Used for eating. The problem with using what you have bought is that if used in the preparation of cooking, the handles can and do get very hot. Hot enough to give you a burn.

The fork that I have shown you has a full metal handle that is encased with a solid piece of wood to protect the hand against being burned. Ladles, egg turners, serving spoons all have long handles for the purpose of keeping the hands away from the heat.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well I use forks to fish out capers, to lightly beat an egg. I use a knife to get mustard out of the jar when I make vinaigrette. I use a spoon for tasting. I might even use a a flatware tablespoon to measure approximately one tablespoon, yes, I have recipes that call for approximately one tablespoon.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well I use forks to fish out capers, to lightly beat an egg. I use a knife to get mustard out of the jar when I make vinaigrette. I use a spoon for tasting. I might even use a a flatware tablespoon to measure approximately one tablespoon, yes, I have recipes that call for approximately one tablespoon.

Thanks Taxlady! Glad you understand what I mean! If I'm scooping out a mango a roundish soup spoon will do the job. Doesn't have to be heat resistant :) I use forks to beat eggs as well if it's a recipe for one.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Yes I had forgotten about Target! Also I just saw another set on Bed Bath's website that looks a bit better.

Hampton Forge Clark 20-Piece Flatware Set - BedBathandBeyond.com
Heh! I was just going to suggest returning the set you got and trading it for
Hampton Forge Clark 20-Piece Flatware Set - BedBathandBeyond.com
Old 01-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
Master Chef

I wanted some spoons and forks to take in lunches without using my "good" ones. That way if DH accidentally threw it out, it wouldn't be a problem. Found some at WalMart. Open stock, nice round handles like the Hampton forge ones, less than $1 a piece and I could buy only one if I wanted. You might check it out if you're looking for only a few pieces and not a whole set.

Tags
cheap, food