ISO Digital food scale recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I have an old Salter digital food scale but the readings are inconsistent. I'd like to get something new. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced digital food scale? I'll be using it primarily for measuring baking ingredients. The Oteri Pronto got a good rating on Amazon but I thought I'd post here for suggestions:)

I love my cuisinart! It goes up to 12 lb, I've had it for about 5 years, use it all the time and it's still accurate! ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1459118667.512591.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1459118690.017720.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I have an Oxo digital. It weighs up to 11 pounds. It has a light for the display for easier reading and the display and buttons pull away from the scale so they aren't blocked by a wide plate or bowl.

I have an Oxo digital. It weighs up to 11 pounds. It has a light for the display for easier reading and the display and buttons pull away from the scale so they aren't blocked by a wide plate or bowl.

Which Oxo model is it? I'm pretty sure Bed Bath carries some of the Oxo scales.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Pound-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B0020L6T7K

It weighs up to five pounds, but I haven’t needed more than that. It came with a bowl with a pouring spout. It also has a back-lit, pull-out display.

Personally, I find the prices at BB&B to be higher in general than other outlets, even with the 20% coupon. I have Amazon Prime, so I often shop from there.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Pound-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B0020L6T7K

It weighs up to five pounds, but I haven’t needed more than that. It came with a bowl with a pouring spout. It also has a back-lit, pull-out display.

Personally, I find the prices at BB&B to be higher in general than other outlets, even with the 20% coupon. I have Amazon Prime, so I often shop from there.

Looks like BBB has it for the same price as Amazon, so with the 20% coupon it would be a good deal.

Do you think the 5 lb Oxo scale would work just as well?

The only differences I see are the lower weight capacity, no lighted display and the platform is not stainless steel. If you can manage with the lesser weight capacity, I'd go for it.

The only differences I see are the lower weight capacity, no lighted display and the platform is not stainless steel. If you can manage with the lesser weight capacity, I'd go for it.

Does it have fractions or decimal places when measuring ounces? My Salter rounds to the nearest ounce, which is one reason I don't like it.

Does it have fractions or decimal places when measuring ounces? My Salter rounds to the nearest ounce, which is one reason I don't like it.

My Salter measures in 1/8 ounce increments, or by grams in metric. It has always seemed to be accurate and consistent.

This one looks like mine, but I've had mine for quite some time, so I doubt if this identical model is still available.

salter-6055-ssdr-stainless-steel-digital-kitchen-scale-1-638.jpg

My Salter measures in 1/8 ounce increments, or by grams in metric. It has always seemed to be accurate and consistent.

This one looks like mine, but I've had mine for quite some time, so I doubt if this identical model is still available.

salter-6055-ssdr-stainless-steel-digital-kitchen-scale-1-638.jpg

That model looks way more high tech than the one I have. I found something that looks similar to it online, but mine is all plastic. The description says it was a 2006 model!

Salter Digital Scale - Stainless: Bald Mountain Coffee

I have a Sharper Image one from BB&B. I'm satisfied. Mine goes to 12 # and measures in fractions of oz or gram, decimal to the hundredth. Both a glass and steel platform. It wasn't that expensive.

I use mine for much more than cooking including among other things weighing packages, and I found less than 12# to often be insufficient. Something to think about.

Mine is this one. With a $5 and a 20% coupon, you're in at 18 bucks.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...e=&network=g&gclid=CK-xh-2A5MsCFUYehgodwJwObQ

...Mine is this one. With a $5 and a 20% coupon, you're in at 18 bucks...

I don't believe you can use both coupons on one item. It would be either the $5 or the 20% coupon. Coincidentally, the two coupons are each worth $5 on a $25 item.

Back
Top Bottom