ISO Digital food scale recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have to consider what you are going to be putting on the scale. My scale, as I found out, though is great most of the time, is too small for few containers I use for bread making. It is a real pain in the neck to see the numbers, because container is too big.

That's great! So far it's looking like the 5 lb Oxo could be the best choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Consider when weighing something requiring a large bowl. You can easily exceed 5 pounds. I have a large glass bowl that I measure flour in for bread, and it's easy to hit the 5 pound limit of that Oxo. I love most things Oxo, but that would be too light for me.

Consider when weighing something requiring a large bowl. You can easily exceed 5 pounds. I have a large glass bowl that I measure flour in for bread, and it's easy to hit the 5 pound limit of that Oxo. I love most things Oxo, but that would be too light for me.

Mine came with a plastic bowl that works well for me. And, in response to Charlie, the display on the ones Andy and I have can be pulled out - it's connected with a cord - so you can read it if the container or contents hang over it.

Mine came with a plastic bowl that works well for me. And, in response to Charlie, the display on the ones Andy and I have can be pulled out - it's connected with a cord - so you can read it if the container or contents hang over it.

The pull out display feature on the Oxo models seem really handy. I haven't seen others that have that feature. I guess I could always get the 5 lb and upgrade to the 11 if I need more weight capacity.

Glass and pottery bowls are much heavier than stainless and plastic bowls. If you use the heavier bowls, a 5 pound capacity could be too low.

Glass and pottery bowls are much heavier than stainless and plastic bowls. If you use the heavier bowls, a 5 pound capacity could be too low.

I usually measure ingredients before putting them in a bowl. Hopefully the 5 lb will work. The 11 lb is more $ than I wanted to spend.

I usually measure ingredients before putting them in a bowl. Hopefully the 5 lb will work. The 11 lb is more $ than I wanted to spend.

I do the same. I have my large ceramic bowl out and I measure ingredients, one at a time, into the plastic bowl on the scale, then put them in the large bowl. It works and I don't have to do the math in my head ;)

The tare/zero function is perfect for that. You can measure each ingredient into the bowl and reset to zero after each addition so you're ready for the next.

Place a bowl on the scale then turn it on. The reading will be zero. Add the first ingredient to the bowl until the exact amount for the recipe is reached. Press the tare/zero button so the scale reads zero. Add the next ingredient to the same bowl to the right amount then press zero. Keep doing this until all the ingredients are measured into the one bowl. Then you have all the weighed ingredients ready to go in one bowl.

If you prefer, you can choose to pre-measure each of the ingredients separately then combine them in one bowl. Most people think that's more work.

If you prefer, you can choose to pre-measure each of the ingredients separately then combine them in one bowl. Most people think that's more work.

Thanks Andy. I thought it would be less work to pre-measure because of the risk of overadding ingredients. Like if you add too much salt to a mix it's hard to take some out!

I'm with Andy and RPCookin on this. I have a 5kg/11lb scale. When I put my 2 quart Pyrex mixing/measuring bowl on the scale it is already at 1,375 gm. I find it easier for lots of stuff to just weigh into the bowl. And, as someone said, you never know when you will want to weigh a parcel or something else heavier than 5 lbs. I love that pull out display. I'll probably go for that when this one eventually wears out.

Edit: I just remembered something else I use the scale for: weighing roasts. When CWS and I bought that half a baby bull, some packages weren't labelled for weight. When I buy a whole pork loin at Costco, I cut it into smaller pieces. I might want a roast that's bigger than 5 lbs.

Last edited:
We don't have a digital "kitchen scale" per se, but the scale we used to weigh out emerald tree boas when we were big into breeding. It cost $99.00 when purchased.

I just bought the Oxo 5 lb at Bed Bath and had it shipped (for free) because they didn't have it in stock. I was tempted to buy the Sharper Image 11 lb scale because it was available in-store. But after looking at both of them, I decided that I liked the Oxo better because it was more compact and had no glass parts. It's always an important consideration with two very active cats in my apartment! I hope I made a good decision.

Back
Top Bottom