"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
ISO Digital food scale recommendation

I have an old Salter digital food scale but the readings are inconsistent. I'd like to get something new. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced digital food scale? I'll be using it primarily for measuring baking ingredients. The Oteri Pronto got a good rating on Amazon but I thought I'd post here for suggestions

__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
ISO Digital food scale recommendation

I love my cuisinart! It goes up to 12 lb, I've had it for about 5 years, use it all the time and it's still accurate!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1459118667.512591.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	24503Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1459118690.017720.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	24504


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________

__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
I have an Oxo digital. It weighs up to 11 pounds. It has a light for the display for easier reading and the display and buttons pull away from the scale so they aren't blocked by a wide plate or bowl.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have an Oxo digital. It weighs up to 11 pounds. It has a light for the display for easier reading and the display and buttons pull away from the scale so they aren't blocked by a wide plate or bowl.

Which Oxo model is it? I'm pretty sure Bed Bath carries some of the Oxo scales.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,842
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Po.../dp/B0020L6T7K

It weighs up to five pounds, but I haven’t needed more than that. It came with a bowl with a pouring spout. It also has a back-lit, pull-out display.

Personally, I find the prices at BB&B to be higher in general than other outlets, even with the 20% coupon. I have Amazon Prime, so I often shop from there.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Po.../dp/B0020L6T7K

It weighs up to five pounds, but I haven’t needed more than that. It came with a bowl with a pouring spout. It also has a back-lit, pull-out display.

Personally, I find the prices at BB&B to be higher in general than other outlets, even with the 20% coupon. I have Amazon Prime, so I often shop from there.

Looks like BBB has it for the same price as Amazon, so with the 20% coupon it would be a good deal.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Which Oxo model is it? I'm pretty sure Bed Bath carries some of the Oxo scales.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
I have this one: Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display: Digital Kitchen Scales: Kitchen & Dining
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873

Do you think the 5 lb Oxo scale would work just as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Do you think the 5 lb Oxo scale would work just as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

The only differences I see are the lower weight capacity, no lighted display and the platform is not stainless steel. If you can manage with the lesser weight capacity, I'd go for it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The only differences I see are the lower weight capacity, no lighted display and the platform is not stainless steel. If you can manage with the lesser weight capacity, I'd go for it.
Actually, it has the same display as yours.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.