"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
Master Chef

I'm still not convinced I need one since I don't have a problem with freezer burn. I wrap all my raw meat tightly in plastic wrap first and then freeze it heavy duty ziplock freezer bags. I'm also not sure I'd want the hassle of having to use special bags. Are the bags expensive and easy to find?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I'm still not convinced I need one since I don't have a problem with freezer burn. I wrap all my raw meat tightly in plastic wrap first and then freeze it heavy duty ziplock freezer bags. I'm also not sure I'd want the hassle of having to use special bags. Are the bags expensive and easy to find?
Kayelle, Walmart and Menards carry the bags. You can get them on a roll that fits in the machine, and cut them as needed, pint, quart, and gallon sized. You can reuse the bags if they contained veggies, pitch the ones that contained meat.

I have frozen stuff lasting for years.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thanks for your input, jpb. that's quite a list of complaints you have about your fs machine, but i get the impression that you are still overall okay with it. do i have that right? where do you go for your packing supplies usually? are they basically one size fits all? you and pac need to turn off your am radios, turn on your ipods, while you're doing your wrapping....
Satisfied to the extent that I do not know of any reasonable alternative.
FROM FOODSAVER.COM (Jarden Consumer Solutions)
Items To Be Sent
Quantity Total
8 $48.00
Items Unit Price
1 (FSFSBF0641-DTC) FoodSaverŽ11" Roll $6.00 FoodSavei58 11 Inch Rolls let you create custom-sized bags to package and protect food and non-food items using your FoodSaverŽ Vacuum Sealing System. Applied
Sub-Total: $48.00
Shipping & Handling (Standard S&H): $8.50
Estimated Tax (8.63%): $4.87
ORDER TOTAL: $61.37

US
Shipping: Standard
Description
FoodSaverŽ Vacuum Zipper Gallon Bags FoodSaverŽ Vacuum Zipper Quart Bags FoodSaverŽ Container Flap Valve FoodSaverŽ FreshSaverŽ Reservoir/Easy Clean
FoodSaverŽ Container Adapter FoodSaverŽ Accessory Hose
Price QTY Total
$4.79 3 $14.37 (36 gallon bags)
$4.79 2 $9.58 (36 quart bags)
$0.60 1 $0.60
$1.80 1 $1.80
$1.80 1 $1.80
$1.80 1 $1.80
Subtotal = $29.95
S&H= $8.50
Estimated Tax = $3.33
Order Total = $41.78
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Juana, don't the new models all have the seal only feature? I don't know, as I haven't looked at them. It seems they would have to in order to make a new bag from the roll.

I reuse just about all the bags until they are too short. I just toss them back into the freezer when they are empty and try to put like items back in them.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
Cook

Pacanis, when I called FS customer service and informed them I wanted to replace the Professional II model with a model offering the same features, particularly the seal-only mode, the rep recommended the Game Saver over the newer, more costly upright models. She said uprights are completely automatic without manual modes. I did a very brief web product comparison which seemed to confirm what she had told me.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

I just got an upright (my last was a pro II) and can confirm there is a manual mode.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Satisfied to the extent that I do not know of any reasonable alternative.
FROM FOODSAVER.COM (Jarden Consumer Solutions)
Items To Be Sent
Quantity Total
8 $48.00
Items Unit Price
1 (FSFSBF0641-DTC) FoodSaverŽ11" Roll $6.00 FoodSavei58 11 Inch Rolls let you create custom-sized bags to package and protect food and non-food items using your FoodSaverŽ Vacuum Sealing System. Applied
Sub-Total: $48.00
Shipping & Handling (Standard S&H): $8.50
Estimated Tax (8.63%): $4.87
ORDER TOTAL: $61.37

US
Shipping: Standard
Description
FoodSaverŽ Vacuum Zipper Gallon Bags FoodSaverŽ Vacuum Zipper Quart Bags FoodSaverŽ Container Flap Valve FoodSaverŽ FreshSaverŽ Reservoir/Easy Clean
FoodSaverŽ Container Adapter FoodSaverŽ Accessory Hose
Price QTY Total
$4.79 3 $14.37 (36 gallon bags)
$4.79 2 $9.58 (36 quart bags)
$0.60 1 $0.60
$1.80 1 $1.80
$1.80 1 $1.80
$1.80 1 $1.80
Subtotal = $29.95
S&H= $8.50
Estimated Tax = $3.33
Order Total = $41.78
wow jpb, that's more than a hundred bucks in supplies. i trust that is at least a whole years' supply? here's hoping i don't require half that amount for my small family's needs....
Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
a lot of my food spoilage occurs in the refrigerator, not the freezer. i'm tired of having to throw out vegetables, fruit, cheeses, cold cuts--not right away, but because i didn't get back to them in time. the food saver promises to extend shelf life by 5x, so that i needn't be a slave to using up leftover goodies. i can't think of a bigger turnoff to food than "eat it now or else it will go bad". i think maybe this is what gave leftovers a bad name in the first place - having to eat them "right away". as we all know, leftovers are often even better the second or third time around....
Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I find that the salami I buy in large unsliced pieces keeps better if stored in an evacuated ziploc bag.
Buying in bulk can sometimes reduce the unit price.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #30
Master Chef

Wow.......that looks like expensive supplies to me.

Vit, have you tried green bags for your fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator? When they first came on the market I thought they were just another gag, but I'm really pleased with how much longer they extend the life of those foods. They were expensive at first, although reusable, but now I find them at the Dollar Store.
As far as cold cuts are concerned, I buy at least a pound of them at a time and wrap them in quarter lb packages for the freezer. The small packs defrost in no time.
I'm not trying to talk you out of the FS, just wanting to point out there are other ways of taking care of food.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, kitchen