ISO help managing my butter bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italiangrandma

Assistant Cook
I use a butter bell to store butter , but it keeps falling to the bottom half . I use crushed ice and cold water, refresh it every day but still the butter falls out.

I've been using a butter bell for well over 10 years and haven't had any trouble with the butter staying in its space. However, what I do do is to press it in very firmly. Let me explain what I do.

I let my stick of butter sit out on the counter until it's quite soft. Then, I gently unwrap the butter, making sure the stick stays in its shape and still in the wrapper, but fully unwrapped. In other words, the stick of butter is unwrapped but in the center of the wrapper. At this point I tip the end of the stick into the butter bell compartment, carefully peel back the wrapper and, using the wrapper, press the butter into it's holder.

I've never had any problem with butter falling out. Just my take on how I use my butter bell.

I've been using a butter bell for well over 10 years and haven't had any trouble with the butter staying in its space. However, what I do do is to press it in very firmly. Let me explain what I do.

I let my stick of butter sit out on the counter until it's quite soft. Then, I gently unwrap the butter, making sure the stick stays in its shape and still in the wrapper, but fully unwrapped. In other words, the stick of butter is unwrapped but in the center of the wrapper. At this point I tip the end of the stick into the butter bell compartment, carefully peel back the wrapper and, using the wrapper, press the butter into it's holder.

I've never had any problem with butter falling out. Just my take on how I use my butter bell.
I do press the butter into the butter holder , I have tried with cold butter, and with soft butter and both fall into the water the next day. :ermm:

the top of your bell is getting hotter than the rest and the butter is dislodging. Near lights or in sunlight? Had that happen until I began to keep mine in the dark under the cabinet overhangs. May also be the kind of butter you are using??

the top of your bell is getting hotter than the rest and the butter is dislodging. Near lights or in sunlight? Had that happen until I began to keep mine in the dark under the cabinet overhangs. May also be the kind of butter you are using??

..or the butter bell??

I had the same problem with the butterbell in the summer. I finally pitched it. Now I use a wide-mouth half pint jar. I put the lid on, to keep the dust (and the cat) out. I have only once had butter get moldy in all the years that I have been doing this--it was a weird off brand butter.

It is not near sunlight or lights. It is under the cabinets. I use Members Mark butter (Sam's club)

How much water are you putting in the butter bell? You just need enough to touch the bottom of the insert - no more. Also - make sure there are NO air pockets in your butter. They can create a suction effect when you remove the insert and pull the butter from the bell.

More hints here: L. Tremain | Frequently Asked Questions

How much water are you putting in the butter bell? You just need enough to touch the bottom of the insert - no more. Also - make sure there are NO air pockets in your butter. They can create a suction effect when you remove the insert and pull the butter from the bell.

More hints here: L. Tremain | Frequently Asked Questions
I checked on the butter bell website, it says 1/3 cup of water, which I have been doing.

Back
Top Bottom