ISO info on scale for measuring food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been using this scale, virgo. I've had it for almost 10 years and use it for everything. It's wonderful because I dirty up far fewer bowls and measuring tools. I would be lost without my scale.

It's especially good to use when measuring flour for making bread. Flour is affected by moisture, so when I weigh my flour my recipes are much more accurate.

I have a Pelouze Portion Controller...It's not digital! It weighs up to 5 lbs. Not sure if they make my model an longer. I do recommend the Pelouze brand however.

Look for a digital scale that measures in both metric and US units and has a tare or zero button. A weight capacity of 10-11 pounds is a good idea.

Digital scales are easier to use and more accurate but you pay more for it.

I have the The My Weigh 7001DX and I love it. It can weigh upto 15.4lbs and it's not that big. It weighs in grams, ounces, pounds and kilograms. It has a large lit display as well, and it's pretty cheap for what it does. I've had this one now for about 4 years and I use it constantly. Here is a link to the exact one I have Scale Magazine.com - Independent Reviews of My Weigh 7001 Kitchen Scale It also comes with a lifetime/30year warranty.

I've got this goofy Sunbeam brand rotary-scale that weighs up to five pounds. I think it's a portion-control scale rather than a bona fide cooking scale, but considering it was only a few bucks at ACO (same place I got the bulk of my pots and pans, coincidentally), it's all right.

virgo152,
If you can afford them, Soehnle's scales are great. The Futura and their new model 65055 have great reviews in Cook's Illustrated, but they cost major bucks since they are made in Germany and the Euro is getting stronger by the day.
Here is the link for the 65055: Amazon.com: Soehnle Model Scale - 65055/65055: Home & Garden

That's a nice scale, wysiwyg. However, I have a counter space "issue" in my kitchen and it would be a bit problematic because of it's design. My Salter scale is compact enough that I just prop it up against the back splash of my counter.

I also have to say that my scale can be had for about $49 and does everything the Soehnle scale does.

I had a Soehnle and I had nothing but problems with it and they did replace it for me once. But it stopped working again so I finally threw it out. I had paid 70.00 for it which is twice the price of the My Weigh. The My Weigh does more and costs less and has a lifetime warranty, Soehnle does not. I think its 1 year now.

One feature of that scale I like is the offset display. It allows you to easily read the weight even when you have a large bowl or plate on the scale.

It's not necessary to get that brand to get the feature.

You can get a decent digital scale that reads in .10ths of ounces, with tare function, pretty cheap at Staples, WalMart, etc.
Look in the office supply area.

Wow Aera,
Thank you for the feedback, I own a Soenhle but is to measure people's weight and % of fat and has been fine for about 4 years. I thought the kitchen scale would be also very reliable, specially after reading Cook's Illustrated. I see I was wrong.

I got an Avery-Berkel 15 pound capacity scale at a yard sale. Came out of a candy store. 0.005 lb resolution. I enter $16.00 per pound to get ounces in the cost window. Resolves to 0.08 ounces.

I think I paid $15, just checked on eBay, Boy, did I get lucky.

The importance of Tare cannot be overstated. Also handy if Tare can be saved.

A thing to be considered in a scale is a steel/ metallic platter and if it can be removed. Metallic for durability and removable for thorough cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom