ISO peppermill grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I'm in search of the pepper mill grinder that's in the attached image. The reason I want to get it because it looks like it is very well built with heavy duty wood. I thought it was the peugeot u'select but it does not have the markings at the bottom of the wood. I got the picture from the tv show pati's mexican table on the create channel.

Does anyone own it and can tell me the name of it?

The big one is the pepper mill.

Attachments

• peppermill.jpg
    peppermill.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 178
Not really I like prefer the natural wood look but I like the style of the grinder.

Looks like the smaller one to me UB!

Or Just guessing.... the OP's photo is a 5 in Salt Mill and 7 in Pepper Mill.....Peugeot makes a 7,9,12 and 16 inch pepper mills in the Classic Paris line. ~~
I don't find the lack of a Peugeot logo in the OP's photo unusual...which is often the case on cooking shows..Unless a 'placement fee' has been paid....

Ii can't help with that specific mill, but it's important to buy a mill that has ceramic grinders.

i've found metal grinders, even ones advertised as stainless steel, eventually get rusty.

Thanks Uncle Bob,

I have been thinking about the 12" peugeot model but I'm waiting to see if I can get one without the select at the bottom of the mill.

The wood used to make many pepper mills is not particularly dimensionally stabile. For the past ten or so years. I've been using a British acrylic housed Cole & Mason for my black Tellicherry pepper and a French Perfex for my white pepper. I prefer the crank handled Perfex, but for the price, cannot fault the Cole & Mason. The cutters of both are standing up quite well and, for average household use, only seem to require a cleaning once every 10 or so years. Would be nicer if the French mill had a ss instead of an aluminum body .

Last edited:
I have a Peugeot peppermill story that many have already heard.

I bought it in Virginia, well over 25 years ago. Then I threw a party in Hawaii ... and it simply disappeared. Oh, well, c'est la vie. I bought another, same brand. Then one day I was clearing out some overgrowth (big problem there), and under my fern tree and pothos, was my pepper mill. It had been through two, two rainy seasons. I just laughingly, as a joke, let it dry out and put in peppercorns, and ugly though it was (the finish was rather ugly, needless to say) ... it worked and worked well, I might add.

So it became my kitchen pepper mill, the other one my dinner table pepper mill.

Fast forward almost 20 years. The peppermill is starting to not work so well. I went to my local purveyor of spices (who sells Peugeot mills) and was talking to him about buying a new mill, since my old one isn't working so well (surprise, surprise). Instead of him selling me a new one, he took one of his and showed me how to take it apart and clean it. Voila! It worked perfectly (I did buy a mill for my dining table from him; after all, I'd have tossed this one and bought 2 new ones).

Once again, an outdoor party. Once again peppermill disappears. Now we live in northwest Illinois, and winter sets in. In the spring, I discovered said mill under a bush when a snow bank melted. I took it in, took it apart as spice guy instructed, put it back together ...

... and yes, today it is still my kitchen peppermill.

Since the pepper mills seem to have 9 lives, I try to buy all my spices from him. And he sells the best darned tellicherry peppercorns!

Last edited:
Great story.
Thanks for sharing Claire.
Wish I could attend one of your wild parties where the pepper mills disappear into the bushes
I have a Peugeot peppermill story that many have already heard.

I bought it in Virginia, well over 25 years ago. Then I threw a party in Hawaii ... and it simply disappeared. Oh, well, c'est la vie. I bought another, same brand. Then one day I was clearing out some overgrowth (big problem there), and under my fern tree and pothos, was my pepper mill. It had been through two, two rainy seasons. I just laughingly, as a joke, let it dry out and put in peppercorns, and ugly though it was (the finish was rather ugly, needless to say) ... it worked and worked well, I might add.

So it became my kitchen pepper mill, the other one my dinner table pepper mill.

Fast forward almost 20 years. The peppermill is starting to not work so well. I went to my local purveyor of spices (who sells Peugeot mills) and was talking to him about buying a new mill, since my old one isn't working so well (surprise, surprise). Instead of him selling me a new one, he took one of his and showed me how to take it apart and clean it. Voila! It worked perfectly (I did buy a mill for my dining table from him; after all, I'd have tossed this one and bought 2 new ones).

Once again, an outdoor party. Once again peppermill disappears. Now we live in northwest Illinois, and winter sets in. In the spring, I discovered said mill under a bush when a snow bank melted. I took it in, took it apart as spice guy instructed, put it back together ...

... and yes, today it is still my kitchen peppermill.

Since the pepper mills seem to have 9 lives, I try to buy all my spices from him. And he sells the best darned tellicherry peppercorns!

Love it, Claire! Apparently a little known ancient Hawaiian/Illinoisian tradition of loss and rediscovery.

Last edited:
Great story.
Thanks for sharing Claire.
Wish I could attend one of your wild parties where the pepper mills disappear into the bushes

Actually, they were pretty wild, in a very conservative way ... everyone into food and drinks, and hubby and me staggering off to bed without paying attention to anything (in both places we had beloved friends who simply don't know when to go home)(yes, a bed was offered to people who had too much, and often we have had friends on the couch!). So we'd just close the lights and doors (sometimes, other times someone could walk in and rob us blind). In the morning we'd clear the picnic table(s) and wonder, where in the heck did the pepper mill go? Here I blamed it on a raccoon, an eternal problem, especially under the circumstances. In Hawaii the darned thing was quite a ways away from the food table, and I have no idea why it was outside to begin with., but then we lived with our doors and windows wide open.

I love my Puegeut s&p grinders. My mom has had the same pepper grinder since she got married--57 years ago. It is ceramic but it has stainless steel parts. It is currently gettitng new parts (my DH is making them) because they started to slip. They never, however, rusted. And it was on the table every day and used every day until last year.

Back
Top Bottom