ISO pizza stone storage info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have ordered a pizza stone and need info. If you leave it in the oven permanently, does it effect baking things, like rolls or cookies? Do you keep in on the floor of the oven on on the bottom shelf? Do most people keep it in the oven, or take it out after each use?
Thanks!

I leave mine on the floor of the oven turned upside down. When I want to use it, I turn it over and start the oven. Keeping it upside down keeps the cooking surface clean - no drips or spills from other things hitting the cooking surface.

I also leave it in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle.

Yes, it will affect baking your rolls and cookies, but in a positive way. You will get more more even heating with the stone.

I have an electric oven so my stone is on the bottom shelf so it does not sit on the heating element.

I keep my stone in my oven at all times except for the occasional cleaning. My oven right now is not a self cleaning, but when I had a self cleaning I would leave the stone in during the cycle. That was the best way to clean the stone actually.

I like Andy's idea of storing it upside down and then flipping it when you want to use it. I am too lazy to do that though and I have never found the stuff that gets stuck to the stone to have any major affect on taste so i do not worry too much about it.

...I like Andy's idea of storing it upside down and then flipping it when you want to use it. I am too lazy to do that though and I have never found the stuff that gets stuck to the stone to have any major affect on taste so i do not worry too much about it.

WOW, GB. I thought I was the lazy champ. You are my hero!

Andy, I could put you to shame in a laziness contest, but I am too lazy to try. As a matter of fact, I am even too lazy to finish typing this

Andy, I could put you to shame in a laziness contest, but I am too lazy to try. As a matter of fact, I am even too lazy to finish typing this

HAHAHAHA

So you keep in it the oven when you are, say, roasting the Tgiving turkey?

I keep my pizza stone in the drawer on the bottom of the stove.

I consider pizza stones most susceptible to breaking from impacts. They are quite brittle and my moving them would subject them to some banging around. I have no safe place to leave it other than the oven floor - even over Thanksgiving.

HAHAHAHA

So you keep in it the oven when you are, say, roasting the Tgiving turkey?

I keep my pizza stone in the drawer on the bottom of the stove.
As long as there was room to fit the stone and the turkey then yes I absolutely would.

I consider pizza stones most susceptible to breaking from impacts. They are quite brittle and my moving them would subject them to some banging around. I have no safe place to leave it other than the oven floor - even over Thanksgiving.

:LOL:

ducks and runs; the devil made me type that.

julesthegolfer said:
I have ordered a pizza stone and need info. If you leave it in the oven permanently, does it effect baking things, like rolls or cookies? Do you keep in on the floor of the oven on on the bottom shelf? Do most people keep it in the oven, or take it out after each use?
Thanks!

I would also consider baking the rolls right on the stone. Stones are for bread in general not just pizza

When I had one I just left it in the oven. But I don't bake a lot. Husband baked bread and pizza and we just left it on the bottom shelf of the oven.

After using my pizza stone I put it back in the box that it came in. This way I know it's protected and nothing will happened to it.

Maybe I'm too well trained that everything should be kept in its place, but I store mine in the skinny cupboard with my sheet pans and wire racks. It's round, so it just rolls in and out. The only problem is that I forget about it while letting it cool down after using, so it usually ends up getting put away the next time I use the oven... and then only if I see it before preheating the oven and beginning the entire cycle again.

Maybe I should take Andy's suggestion and just leave it n there. ;)

One comment - if you do use a stone, let the oven preheat longer than usual - much longer than the automatic signal tells you it's ready. I have one recipe that tells me to preheat the stone for 45 minutes before putting the bread in.

julesthegolfer said:
Thanks!

I have a question too. I got one from my mother. A used one. And I never knew what I was supposed to use it for. She called it a pizza stone so I only thought that far. Haha I'm so going to start putting dinner rolls on it. My mother is now gone so I can't ask her but how do u clean it. Mine has a couple cool aid stains where it sat on counter and got moved from one side of counter to the next because it was such a sore eye and I had no idea what to do with it where to put it. But any cleaning tips. I'm going to store it in my oven now :) thanks everyone

If you have a self-cleaning oven, leave it in there for a cleaning cycle. Then brush of any ash and you're ready to go. Never wash it with soap.

I store it on the bottom of the oven upside down so the cooking surface doesn't get dirty from other spills. Then Just turn it over when you want to use it.

The instructions that came with my stone suggested using a green pad and water for cleaning. If that doesn't do it they suggest going to a belt sander. :w00t:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom