"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
ISO recommendation for a pasta maker

After making pierogis all day, I noticed that my wife seemed to really enjoy using the pasta maker. The one my neighbor brought over is an old Pasta Queen from an Italian company called Imperia.

I found it online, along with the motor that runs it, but I figured I would ask everyone's opinion on what pasta makers they have used, and which ones or what features they'd recommend.

I think she would prefer a smaller unit, and with her carpal tunnel syndrome, it would have to be powered.

She'll be 29 in a few weeks, so I think it might make a nice gift.

TIA for any suggestions.


__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,074
There is a kitchen aid attachment if you already have the mixer. I think somebody bought one . We have one similar to your neighbors but I don't remember the brand. It's not powered though. Craig cranks while I feed. All the roller ones work similarly.
__________________

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,623
BT, I came across this a while back.

The Best Pasta Makers of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,293
Bought GF a Phillips one for xmas. She loves it....motorized, makes spaghetti, pene, lasagne, and fettuccine...just add your ingredients and it will poop out noodles in a few minutes. The recipes will yield enough for 3 or 4 people. She has had fun playing with a few different flours/recipes...great recipes for udon, and other Asian noodles..It costs a bit more, but it is a breeze to use and clean...you may want to make sure you have a good place to store it..it isn't small... We have it on a shelf in the kitchen island so it is easily accessible.
Philips Pasta Maker Review 2017 - Top Ten Reviews
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
If you are making pierogis, I'm assuming you will be using something resembling lasagna noodles. I have an old Simac Pastamatic extrusion pasta maker. It has a lasagna die, which extrudes two 2" wide noodles simultaneously. I haven't used the lasagna die, but when I use a fettuccine die (which extrudes 20 noodles simultaneously), they don't all extrude at the same rate. It varies from top to bottom and side to side, and some noodles make a bit of a sideways turn when exiting the die. I'm not anticipating that the lasagna noodles will be straight, but will have to use it to verify. Variable length noodles isn't an issue when making fettuccine, spaghetti, etc. Just to clarify, you need to cut all 20 noodles simultaneously as they are exiting the extrusion die.

Perhaps Roch can comment if the Philips exhibits the same behavior. From what I've gathered the Philips is a more advanced machine than my old Simac, so what I have observed may not apply to the Phililps.
Attached Images
 
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
Thanks med, Andy. Rock, and 10speed.

Lol at pooping out noodles, Rock.

Because of our strict instructions, the dough MUST be made by hand, then rolled out through the machine until very thin.

And yes, 10, they were making a lasagna like noodle, then cutting them into circles.

Thanks again.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
If you are making pierogis, I'm assuming you will be using something resembling lasagna noodles. I have an old Simac Pastamatic extrusion pasta maker. It has a lasagna die, which extrudes two 2" wide noodles simultaneously. I haven't used the lasagna die, but when I use a fettuccine die (which extrudes 20 noodles simultaneously), they don't all extrude at the same rate. It varies from top to bottom and side to side, and some noodles make a bit of a sideways turn when exiting the die. I'm not anticipating that the lasagna noodles will be straight, but will have to use it to verify. Variable length noodles isn't an issue when making fettuccine, spaghetti, etc. Just to clarify, you need to cut all 20 noodles simultaneously as they are exiting the extrusion die.

Perhaps Roch can comment if the Philips exhibits the same behavior. From what I've gathered the Philips is a more advanced machine than my old Simac, so what I have observed may not apply to the Phililps.
I haven't really noticed, but I seem to remember them all coming out evenly...I'll check on it tonight..we're having penne alla carbonara...she hasn't used the lasagne one yet...

..what we do love about this machine is the quickness you can be eating. We generally get home late and still can have a dinner of fresh pasta...within 10 minutes it can be in the pot..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
After making pierogis all day, I noticed that my wife seemed to really enjoy using the pasta maker. The one my neighbor brought over is an old Pasta Queen from an Italian company called Imperia.

I found it online, along with the motor that runs it, but I figured I would ask everyone's opinion on what pasta makers they have used, and which ones or what features they'd recommend.

I think she would prefer a smaller unit, and with her carpal tunnel syndrome, it would have to be powered.

She'll be 29 in a few weeks, so I think it might make a nice gift.

TIA for any suggestions.

Hi, bucky!

I've been making pasta for years. First, solely by hand. No mechanical help of any kind. Then I bought an Atlas Mercato hand-operated pasta maker. It's nearly identical to the Imperia and may even be made by the same company. Used it for years with no challenge. Once "arthur" decided to take up residence in my hands and fingers, turning the crank became somewhat problematic. That was conquered when I bought a motor that Glenn attached to power it. The motor is specifically designed to retrofit this machine to electrically function it. Very handy, plus it gave me the added help of having both hands free for one hand to feed the dough and and the other to guide and to catch it on the exit side.

Arthur has since become rather aggressive and I now use the pasta attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.

Just thought I'd share the evolution of how pasta is made in our house.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Petaluma, California
Posts: 83
My Marcato Atlas 150 is 30 years old and looks new. Not too expensive and quality is exceptional. A motor attachment is available. I am not fond of their ravioli maker. I use a Norpro ravioli plate.
Markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Hi, bucky!

I've been making pasta for years. First, solely by hand. No mechanical help of any kind. Then I bought an Atlas Mercato hand-operated pasta maker. It's nearly identical to the Imperia and may even be made by the same company. Used it for years with no challenge. Once "arthur" decided to take up residence in my hands and fingers, turning the crank became somewhat problematic. That was conquered when I bought a motor that Glenn attached to power it. The motor is specifically designed to retrofit this machine to electrically function it. Very handy, plus it gave me the added help of having both hands free for one hand to feed the dough and and the other to guide and to catch it on the exit side.

Arthur has since become rather aggressive and I now use the pasta attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.

Just thought I'd share the evolution of how pasta is made in our house.
If it wasn't for Arthur, how would you compare hand crank, motor attachment, and KA pasta attachment (assuming it's the roller and not the extruder)? Just about all of the pasta making videos use the hand crank, but the motor looks like it would be helpful.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,168
This article was posted on Serious Eats today: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/b...tructions.html
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
If it wasn't for Arthur, how would you compare hand crank, motor attachment, and KA pasta attachment (assuming it's the roller and not the extruder)? Just about all of the pasta making videos use the hand crank, but the motor looks like it would be helpful.
I think I prefer the hand crank operation over the other two methods. Although, the addition of the motor gives me a little more control of the pasta as it comes off the machine. Otherwise, it has to be done one-handed, which is a bit of a juggling act.

The motor is one speed...slow. That's good because it makes it easy to guide the dough from the entry and help it away from the machine on the outboard side.

The KitchenAid is okay but, for some reason, I prefer the "almost" old-fashioned way using my Atlas machine.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
I have an Imperia, hand crank. It can be motorized if wanted.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
..what we do love about this machine is the quickness you can be eating. We generally get home late and still can have a dinner of fresh pasta...within 10 minutes it can be in the pot..
Now I have a case of pasta machine envy. I just made a pound of spaghetti. 3 - 4 minutes to knead the dough, and 15 minutes to extrude. Now another 10 minutes to clean it.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
Thanks everyone.
__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pasta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×