"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO rodent-proof food storage

Well it was bound to happen...with all of the construction a block away from my house (old housing torn down, new housing built), we've got mice. So I need a way to store my onions, potatoes, etc that is out of their reach. A hanging basket is the obvious solution, but since we live in military housing and aren't allowed to drill holes in the wall or ceiling, I'm at a loss as to how I would hang one. Is there some kind of wire basket (that I could just place on the counter) with a lid that has a tight enough mesh to keep the mice out? Does that exist? Any other ideas?

TIA!
Kerry

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome, LL.
I don't know what you could use. I keep both in my veggie draws in my second fridge. I can't keep anything out down here, not for mice, but for ants.
I would think they could get into anything hanging as well. But a cage type thing they can't chew through would be a good idea. Do you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond? Or check out kitchen storage containers/wire baskets on line. There's got to be things out there.
Good luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sorry to hear about your problem. I live in a really old house and occassionally have a mouse and I HATE having to deal with it. I turned on the light in the kitchen around midnight last winter and found one inside a bag of pita bread I had just bought!!

I know you aren't supposed to store potatos and onions in the fridge, but I put onions in the crisper drawer and they seem ok. This might be the solution of last resort.

You don't want to use anything with a mesh lid, as the mice can crawl on top and do their business, which will drop through. You probably should be looking for something with a solid lid and ventilated sides.

You might be able to buy a plastic storage bin (like for flour) and punch holes in the side for air flow.

Or find/construct a cage of some sort and put a piece of wood or plastic on the top.

At any rate, good luck!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Cook

SOLID METAL, that's about the only thing you are going to find that is totally rodent proof, or a really good mouser. Anything plastic they will get through in short order. I've even seen them gnaw through metal mesh if they want something bad enough. Something out of stainless mesh might keep them out depending on whether it's mice or rats. There are probably both in the area. A mouse or a rat can wiggle through an opening just barely larger than it's nose. I have in the past kept onions and potatoes in the fridge when I needed to, onions seem to do ok but you have to watch potatoes, they seem to go bad over night. For all of your grain products you can use stainless canisters or containers. If you have a pet make sure you protect their food also if you use dry food and don't leave any out and make sure Fido didn't leave any treats out for hard times. I would place traps in all areas that you can, statistics have proven that a rat or a mouse usually lives within a 30 to 50 foot radius of where you see it, so they are closer than you think.

I still say a cat is the best prevention they are relentless if they know a mouse is there. We have two and I haven't seen a mouse or a rat in years much less even a bug. Our big male can swat a fly out of mid air and be on it before it hits the ground. It's what cats do, it's in their genes. They are sweet and loveable but they are programmed to hunt.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

A cat...or a mouse trap might work.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Is there a door in your kitchen? Maybe you could hang some metal mesh baskets on one of those over-the-door hanger things. Or maybe over a cupboard door. HTH.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Plastic bags inside a galvanized trash can with a lid. Or inside a small (5-15 gallon) steel drum with a lockring top.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

Yep, I go with Uncle Bob, mousetrap and or cat...... I have a cat who is a real hunter and has killed several mice---he's quite proud of his prowess....I wouldn't be running away from them......if they don't find food they will eat and chew anything and can do a lot of damage..........my parents stored Christmas ornaments at my grandmother's and the mice totally ruined them........
Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

If you are close to a restaurant supply house you can git food grade plastic tub/barrels with very tight fitting lids, they are made out of hard clear plastic, and they come in various sizes.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Rodent resistant food bags

There is a product that I use for backpacking to protect food from mice, rats, squirrels, etc. It is called a GrubPack. This is a strong, light, stainless steel wire mesh bag with a Velcro closure. The stainless steel won't rust. The Velcro closes tight. They come in different sizes. They are built for camping but could be used anywhere. You can hang it or just lay it in a drawer or where ever you would normally store your food. The open mesh will allow airflow, etc. These are a common backpackers piece of gear and work great in the wilderness, so I'm thinking they will work fine in your home too. They are sold on-line. I'm sure you can find it with a google search.