ISO the best peeler in the world for potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler, dirt cheap and very good quality. Do not pay any more than $4 per one. Just search the net. I love them, I have a bunch usually all kids like to help.

I bought a serrated peeler before they became the rage. Got rid of all my others. It peels everything. And still going strong. I bought one for my girlfriend in Georgia. She had one of those all stainless steel ones. Dull, dull, dull. Was so glad to get a peeler that actually works. She avoided mashed taters as she hated peeling. When I make tater salad in the summer, I peel a large tomato and make roses for decorations. It can peel an uncooked peach as if the angels had done it. Stays sharp forever. :chef:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler: Kitchen & Dining

A lot of simple kitchen tools sold today need extra space, drawers to store them. Oxo, for example, their smallest kitchen tools have large screwdriver type handles. Maybe I'm exaggerating.

Last edited:
That uncooked peach sounds under ripe to me. The skin on a ripe peach should pull off, even uncooked.

I have peeled peaches for canning jams and jellies. Some recipes call for dropping the peach in boiling water and making an X in the bottom. I prefer to peel them first and skip the boiling water part. the fruit stays whole and less juice is lost. :chef:

A lot of simple kitchen tools sold today need extra space, drawers to store them. Oxo, for example, their smallest kitchen tools have large screwdriver type handles. Maybe I'm exaggerating.

OXO has large handles, specifically for those of us with arthritic hands. That's why they are called Good Grips. I have large pens and pencils too, because I can't grip anything smaller.

I just received the set of three Swissmar peelers. I did NOT like the OXO. So far, so good, Very sharp. A minimum of clogging. Similar to the Kuhn Rikon, without the reports of rusting, but more expensive. Serrated, Scalpel, and Julienne blades. Sold as a set of two, also, without the Julienne.

Attachments

• peeler.jpg
    peeler.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 240
I just received the set of three Swissmar peelers. I did NOT like the OXO. So far, so good, Very sharp. A minimum of clogging. Similar to the Kuhn Rikon, without the reports of rusting, but more expensive. Serrated, Scalpel, and Julienne blades. Sold as a set of two, also, without the Julienne.

I just can't get the hang of using that shape. I was at a friend's place and that's all she has. I used a spoon to peel the carrots instead of a her peeler. :LOL:

I'm struggling to find a vegetable peeler that's worth a darn for potatoes. I've used the Wolfgang Puck one and it works great on carrots and cucs. Still fails to skin the tubers. Any ideas of what's great?

P.S. It's hard to find a good one of these, but they can be a real charm. Any brand name recommendations?:

I think this is the same as the one in your pic - It's an Ekco peeler. I've had mine since our wedding day over 30 years ago and it still peels potatoes, carrots, turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, etc with ease.

21V2y2zs52L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like my OXO peeler as mentioned before but if I just have a couple of things to peel I use my chefs knife and my thumb as a thickness guage.Once you get the hang of it it is fast.
I don't peel carrots,generally i just scrape them with the blade.

OXO has large handles, specifically for those of us with arthritic hands. That's why they are called Good Grips. I have large pens and pencils too, because I can't grip anything smaller.

OXO came into being because the founder saw his grandmother struggling with the Echo type peeler. She had arthritis and it was painful for her to peel. So he designed a peeler for her with a handle made of soft rubber. And from there OXO was born. The OXO are the kisses and hugs for her. But they have lost their way somehow. The handles are now made of hard plastic and a lot of their tools are really too large for small and arthritic hands to handle. Too bad. They had a great concept. :(

21V2y2zs52L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One problem with this type of peeler (just using the illustration to contrast with the other kind where the blade is at a right angle compared to the one above) is that inexpensive ones are flimsy and the metal bends when you use it, particularly if you need significant force. As far as I'm concerned most peelers of this type will be fine if the blade doesn't bend and the handle is comfortable in your hand.

The metal handles of peelers like the illustration are uncomfortable to my hands even though I'm very lucky to not have any arthritic or dexterity problems like some of the other forum members have stated. I can use this type but I'd prefer a more comfortable handle.

My complaint with OXO's products is that some of their recent products are less sturdy than earlier products, perhaps "cheaply made" if that's what you want to call it. Until recently I've considered to be robust, sturdy products with large comfortable handles. I'm not nearly as enamored of their recent products as I used to be with earlier products.

Last edited:
I'm also a fan of my OXO peeler. Swivel Peeler

And that is the peeler that gave start to OXO. From that a whole company was built. But they seem to have lost their way. A lot of their handles are now made of hard plastic. It is almost as if their R&D department was sleeping or closed down. :(

Mine is an old Oxo peeler (yes, soft handle). I love it. I've replaced it once, but dread having to do it again if the handle's become harder! The pictured one is the one I grew up with, and we had potatoes just about every night, and often carrots as well. There are times when I wonder if my husband fell in love with me when he saw how I could dispatch a potato. And he, unlike my dad, isn't THAT much in love with potatoes. As a kid, we peeled potatoes for a family of six, who all loved them, easily 6 nights a week. More often with guests or going to a potluck (often).

I'm often impatient about prepwork. If I have to peel a potato and sharp angles aren't an issue, I might peel it with a few broad chops of my kitchen knife. Potatoes are inexpensive, so the waste isn't a big deal.

My OXO's an excellent peeler, well designed and constructed. The company's been expanding with tools/products for hardware & stationery. Which sounds smart, but we'll see if they succeed. Focus on design diffuses with product diversification. Construction quality diminishes with every step upward in mass production.

There are three things about peelers that scratch my head...

1. Like shaving blades or printer ink, why not make great handles with crappy, disposable, high-margin replacement blades? (other than weathering the wrath of consumers)
2. Why not make peelers with interchangeable blades? julienne, serrated, curved with carrot diameter, potato diameter, etc.
3. Are there any julienne peelers designed for stroking away from the body? They're all of the type requiring a stroke toward the body, and for me, feels like a very hazardous kitchen implement.

Back
Top Bottom