ISO the best peeler in the world for potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm struggling to find a vegetable peeler that's worth a darn for potatoes. I've used the Wolfgang Puck one and it works great on carrots and cucs. Still fails to skin the tubers. Any ideas of what's great?

P.S. It's hard to find a good one of these, but they can be a real charm. Any brand name recommendations?:

http://tinyurl.com/76oxdv3

Last edited:
I got handed down a potato peeler from my parents. A vintage Devault Potato Peeler by Janfee, circa the 50's and 60's. It's has a similar blade as todays peelers, but it's unique grip design makes it one of my favorite kitchen tools. They are scarce now but sometimes come up for auction on eBay. I treasure it.

Attachments

• peeler.jpg
    peeler.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 7,364
Mine are ugly old things that belonged to my Gram. Plain old metal blade and metal handle that look much like .40's.

I got handed down a potato peeler from my parents. A vintage Devault Potato Peeler by Janfee, circa the 50's and 60's. It's has a similar blade as todays peelers, but it's unique grip design makes it one of my favorite kitchen tools. They are scarce now but sometimes come up for auction on eBay. I treasure it.

I use one of these with a different handle. I still have to do a little cleanup with a paring knife. I also use it to make carrot ribbons for salads. great item!

I guess I'm also wondering if others have had troubles with certain peelers. It sounds like everyone has an answer, but are these just Christmas presents that you settled for, or are you all truly happy with your peeler performance? :)

On a whim I got a harp peeler with a ceramic blade {I got in in a set with a ceramic bladed paring knife}, Truth be told I can't stand it!! For spuds it is awkward and I don't peel alot of other root veggies. I have been meaning to pick up an OXO, just haven't gotten around to it.

On a whim I got a harp peeler with a ceramic blade {I got in in a set with a ceramic bladed paring knife}, Truth be told I can't stand it!! For spuds it is awkward and I don't peel alot of other root veggies. I have been meaning to pick up an OXO, just haven't gotten around to it.

Now you have one, no more excuses!

Attachments

• round tuit.jpg
    round tuit.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 733
I guess I'm also wondering if others have had troubles with certain peelers. It sounds like everyone has an answer, but are these just Christmas presents that you settled for, or are you all truly happy with your peeler performance? :)

Actually I was paid to express my favorable opinion by the manufacturer. ;) (Not really, this is my first post in this topic.)

In reality I'm not quite satisfied with my peeler. I think I have an OXO (or OXXO?) but it's in my storage and I can't look at it and tell you.

I'll suggest you go to Bed, Bath & Beyond and buy the OXO and try it for 30 days, and return it before the period ends if you don't like it. BB&B is 100 percent in their satisfaction guarantee and you can just get a full refund if you don't like it in any way.

My kind of store! Even better if you get the 20% off coupons. (One a month, I think you can sign up at their website.)

In truth I don't get paid by anybody to express my opinions, although I'd be open to the idea of getting paid to not express them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom