"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
ISO towels for drying dishes

I've been going through a ton of paper towels when drying utensils and other kitchen items after washing them by hand. Does anyone have a recommendation for reasonably priced dish towels? I saw these microfiber cloths at Bed Bath and the salesperson told me they could be used either for cleaning or drying dishes.

Schroeder & Tremayne The Original Microfiber 10-Pack Cleaning Cloths - BedBathandBeyond.com

Does anyone have these? Are there others that would be a better choice?

__________________

kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,715
The dollar store is your friend KG. There's no need to spend more than you need to for drying dishes. They have those microfiber towels 4 for a dollar.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The dollar store is your friend KG. There's no need to spend more than you need to for drying dishes. They have those microfiber towels 4 for a dollar.

Thanks Kayelle! Those seemed a little pricey, and there were others on Amazon that cost even more!


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
ATK doesn't recommend microfiber. It is not very absorbent and too thick to get into small places like the inside of a glass.

I bought a couple of years ago some very large flour sacks for a craft project. I had one left over and cut it up into three dish towels. I will never go back to commercial ones. They are not real thick, but they sure are soft and are easy to use. They absorb water very well. I could have gotten four towels from that one large one. But I wanted them to be thicker than a single layer would be. So there was justenough to make sew them into double layers. I cut strips of cloth just a tad smaller than the towel was going to be. That way the middle of the towel could absorb water from large items, yet the edges were thin enough to fit into glasses.

BTW, single layer diapers also make great absorbent (cloths) towels.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,623
Just Google 'dish towels' for a ton of options. BB&B, Crate & Barrel, etc.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,168
I get stuff like that at Tuesday Morning. A package of nice, big, thick towels for a few bucks.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
ATK doesn't recommend microfiber. It is not very absorbent and too thick to get into small places like the inside of a glass.



I bought a couple of years ago some very large flour sacks for a craft project. I had one left over and cut it up into three dish towels. I will never go back to commercial ones. They are not real thick, but they sure are soft and are easy to use. They absorb water very well. I could have gotten four towels from that one large one. But I wanted them to be thicker than a single layer would be. So there was justenough to make sew them into double layers. I cut strips of cloth just a tad smaller than the towel was going to be. That way the middle of the towel could absorb water from large items, yet the edges were thin enough to fit into glasses.



BTW, single layer diapers also make great absorbent (cloths) towels.

I actually found some flour sack towels in a storage bin. They seem
a bit too big for drying towels.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,410
Costco has excellent set of dish towels. And very reasonable. I bought 3 or 4 to replace our old towels. Love it.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I actually found some flour sack towels in a storage bin. They seem
a bit too big for drying towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
They are big. Cut them in half or fold them and sew the open ends.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Permian Basin
Posts: 499
I have made dish towels from regular towels. I also inherited a ton of dish towels.
Just get the dollar tree cheapies. Much cheaper than paper towels. Oh and a small plastic laundry basket for the dirty kitchen towels and dish cloths.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Oh and a small plastic laundry basket for the dirty kitchen towels and dish cloths.
Lucky for me, my laundry area is next to the kitchen, so I can put dirty kitchen linens in a wicker basket there.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Permian Basin
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Lucky for me, my laundry area is next to the kitchen, so I can put dirty kitchen linens in a wicker basket there.
I have wicker for everything but my kitchen stuff.
I have seen too many moldy wicker baskets to ever want to put something damp in them.
Note: I also do not have a dishwasher.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,168
Interesting. I've had the same baskets for 20+ years and have never seen mold in them.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Permian Basin
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Interesting. I've had the same baskets for 20+ years and have never seen mold in them.
Note,
All these baskets were in various thrift stores, so who knows how they were used.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
Target is where I buy mine.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Folks should remember manmade materials such as microfiber do not absorb water like pure cotton does. I know pure cotton is more expensive, but so worth the expense.

I have a skin allergy and all my clothing is pure 100% cotton. And so is any cloth item I handle on a daily basis. I wash all my towels separately. No fabric softener. It put a waxy coat, that builds up, preventing it from absorbing water. Instead I give them a second rinse. They all come out soft. And they don't go into the dryer. I have a very large drying rack and hang about 90% of my wet laundry on it to air dry. I find that the dryer shrinks materials. Specially cotton.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Does anyone know why microfiber is not recommended for drying dishes? Many of the online articles recommend 100% cotton.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Permian Basin
Posts: 499
Because microfiber does not absorb water very well.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #19
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,820
A second on never using fabric softeners or dryer sheets on towels, dish or bathroom.
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Does anyone know why microfiber is not recommended for drying dishes? Many of the online articles recommend 100% cotton.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Microfiber is a manmade fabric. Manmade fabrics are notorious for not being water absorbent. Water just beads up on them. Whereas materials from plant materials such as cotton and flax for linen absorb twice the amount of moisture than manmade fibers. When you dry dishes with manmade fiber material, all you are doing is pushing the moisture around.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×