"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO towels for drying dishes

I've been going through a ton of paper towels when drying utensils and other kitchen items after washing them by hand. Does anyone have a recommendation for reasonably priced dish towels? I saw these microfiber cloths at Bed Bath and the salesperson told me they could be used either for cleaning or drying dishes.

Schroeder & Tremayne The Original Microfiber 10-Pack Cleaning Cloths - BedBathandBeyond.com

Does anyone have these? Are there others that would be a better choice?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:03 AM   #2
Master Chef

The dollar store is your friend KG. There's no need to spend more than you need to for drying dishes. They have those microfiber towels 4 for a dollar.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The dollar store is your friend KG. There's no need to spend more than you need to for drying dishes. They have those microfiber towels 4 for a dollar.

Thanks Kayelle! Those seemed a little pricey, and there were others on Amazon that cost even more!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

ATK doesn't recommend microfiber. It is not very absorbent and too thick to get into small places like the inside of a glass.

I bought a couple of years ago some very large flour sacks for a craft project. I had one left over and cut it up into three dish towels. I will never go back to commercial ones. They are not real thick, but they sure are soft and are easy to use. They absorb water very well. I could have gotten four towels from that one large one. But I wanted them to be thicker than a single layer would be. So there was justenough to make sew them into double layers. I cut strips of cloth just a tad smaller than the towel was going to be. That way the middle of the towel could absorb water from large items, yet the edges were thin enough to fit into glasses.

BTW, single layer diapers also make great absorbent (cloths) towels.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Just Google 'dish towels' for a ton of options. BB&B, Crate & Barrel, etc.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I get stuff like that at Tuesday Morning. A package of nice, big, thick towels for a few bucks.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
ATK doesn't recommend microfiber. It is not very absorbent and too thick to get into small places like the inside of a glass.

I bought a couple of years ago some very large flour sacks for a craft project. I had one left over and cut it up into three dish towels. I will never go back to commercial ones. They are not real thick, but they sure are soft and are easy to use. They absorb water very well. I could have gotten four towels from that one large one. But I wanted them to be thicker than a single layer would be. So there was justenough to make sew them into double layers. I cut strips of cloth just a tad smaller than the towel was going to be. That way the middle of the towel could absorb water from large items, yet the edges were thin enough to fit into glasses.

BTW, single layer diapers also make great absorbent (cloths) towels.

I actually found some flour sack towels in a storage bin. They seem
a bit too big for drying towels.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

Costco has excellent set of dish towels. And very reasonable. I bought 3 or 4 to replace our old towels. Love it.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I actually found some flour sack towels in a storage bin. They seem
a bit too big for drying towels.

They are big. Cut them in half or fold them and sew the open ends.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have made dish towels from regular towels. I also inherited a ton of dish towels.
Just get the dollar tree cheapies. Much cheaper than paper towels. Oh and a small plastic laundry basket for the dirty kitchen towels and dish cloths.