Juicer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use mine for morning drinks and pick me ups during the day. I love it.

Jack LaLanne has recipes for the leftover fiber, in his book and I think the muffins and breads would be so healthy. I guess those would have too many carbs for you though.

And like June wrote:
"I make vegetable and fruit juices that I use as components in some of my dishes."

Beware, carrots stain badly.

My wife and I have been thinking about buying a juicer as we can not find a decent juice in the store that is not filled with sugar, corn syrup, or worse, a sugar substitute. Neither of us knows squat about juicers. What features should be be looking for? What features are useless bells and whistles? Any information or suggestions about juicers is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Mark J.

Mark J, I really love my Jack LaLanne. I'm sure others will have suggestions but mine works great and I think it cost less than $100.

When I use it faithfully, I really feel great!

Mark J said:
My wife and I have been thinking about buying a juicer as we can not find a decent juice in the store that is not filled with sugar, corn syrup, or worse, a sugar substitute. Neither of us knows squat about juicers. What features should be be looking for? What features are useless bells and whistles? Any information or suggestions about juicers is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Mark J.

Make silvercliff_46 a good offer. :LOL:

silvercliff_46 said:
I bought a juicer years ago, which I still have. I think I used it once or twice. Does anyone use theirs on a regular basis, and other then health drinks what do you do with it???????:huh:

I think I have you beat there dude :chef:

we bought one 6 years ago, took it out the box to make sure it was all there, put it Back in the box and it`s stayed there ever since:rolleyes:

it`s a classic case of your Eyes being bigger than your Countertop:LOL:
I blame the wife entirely tho:cool: she saw this thing on QVC, and to be honest it did look good! never once considering Where we`re going to put it when it arrives.

I have only really had juice from one once and it was awesome, but it took a MOUNTAIN of fresh fruit--not cheap!
Costco or Sam's has had one for around $50 in the past which we got for DD.
And there is this nutritional thing that says it is better to eat a whole orange than drink a glass of OJ because of the calories/fiber/nutrition benefits.

I don't mind digging it out from a cupboard once in awhile, I just want a reason to do it. Like you said Candocook it's really expensive to buy the fruit and veggies to make the juice, and...like you said sometimes I think we throw away the best stuff after juicing.

I guess I could use it the way Jan suggests, but don't I accomplish the same thing by cooking the veggies in the soup/stock puring, and putting it ALL back in? The pulp helps thicken too.

Don't get me wrong Jan, I have used it to extract juice for jelly and the like. I even tried drinking veggie juice :yuk: personal taste, I just wish I could do more with it then I do.

I remember when I was little we'd take wholeeeee bunches of fruit from the kitchen and make silly concoctions. Some of them were absolutely disgusting, while others filled me with glee.

Find a cheap one first, and if you like it and use it often, buy a nicer one :)

l LOOOOVVVE my juicer, but use it mainly for seasonal cleansing juice fasts. I have found using the pulp from carrot/ celery juice is helpful when making veggie broth to sip on. If ya ever need onion juice for flavoring, it works really well. I agree, it does take a LOT of produce to make juice. And quite icky if the produce is not of top quality.

'Seasonal Cleansing' made me giggle like a little girl :X Never ever ever would have thought to use onion juice for seasoning. Love the idea. Love it.

stinemates said:
'Seasonal Cleansing' made me giggle like a little girl :X Never ever ever would have thought to use onion juice for seasoning. Love the idea. Love it.

haha! Juice fasting for a few days with the change of seasons is really good for you! I'll send you some recipes that incorporate beets and celery.... yeck! My little one HATES an onion within 10 feet of her food, so if I buy an onion for something, i run it through the juicer and throw it in, and she never knows the difference. Oh, and onions are a natural anti-viral. Bottoms up! :ROFLMAO: Never drank the stuff, really. AND, if you look at commercial scar gels, onion juice is the main ingredient..... yep, full of useless info, I am.

Last edited:
Candocook said:
I have only really had juice from one once and it was awesome, but it took a MOUNTAIN of fresh fruit--not cheap!
Costco or Sam's has had one for around $50 in the past which we got for DD.
And there is this nutritional thing that says it is better to eat a whole orange than drink a glass of OJ because of the calories/fiber/nutrition benefits.

I agree that eating all those fruits and veggies without juicing would be healthier. But, I really don't like dark green veggies (except spinach and kale) though so I'd never cook them up.

My favorite mix was an apple, a tablespoon of crushed flax seed, lots of celery and carrots, then put in in a glass. At that point, I'd juice alot of something dark green and then gently pour it into the original drink so that it was pretty. I made the mistake once of just mixing it all together and the color was so horrible that I swore never to do that again.

I was going through the Jack LaLanne cookbook and I'll just give you some examples:

If you want to make carrot - pineapple muffins, you juice up carrots and pineapples, add 1 c honey, eggwhites, 1 c oil, vanilla, soda, cinnamon, 3 c whole wheat flour and nuts. Not that much healthier, if any.

I was looking for a way to use the pulp that I have left from my breakfast drink. I believe the best way for me to incorporate it into meals is to add it to spaghetti sauce, soups, meatloaf etc.

Thanks for the info. Can you give me an idea on how much fruit it does take to make a glass of say apple juice, orange juice or some sort of veggie blend? I mean how much are we talking about.

Also what is the cleaning like? I have learned I do not use appliances that are a pain to clean. Thanks.

Mark J.

I found a great use for my champion juicer,..I peel, and freeze banannas(preferably ripe, doesn't hurt to be a little over ripe) run them through the juicer without the strainer mesh in place for a great substitute for softserve ice cream! Hate to give up icecream, but this helps.;)

stinemates said:
I once tried drinking onion juice and will absolutely never, ever do it again. I bought an onion that is known in Spain for its mildness, juiced it and drank as much as I could manage, maybe three or four mouthfuls at the very most before my body began to rebel.

Sure it cleans you out, but so violently! As the juice goes down, it feels like your insides are recoiling from any contact with it. My neck felt like it must have grown to Arnold Schwarzenegger proportions as my throat expanded. It was quite a physical experience! I was extremely ill for several days thereafter.

I don't recommend it!

On the other hand, there are few things nicer than a fresh juice - apple, carrot and orange over ice is one of my favourites, apple and kiwi is another. Blood orange juice and soda water or lemonade is a delight to the eye as well as the palate. Juices are surprisingly calorific and contain lots of sugar as well as vitamins. It pays to treat them with respect. Ice helps to chill them and water them down a bit.

Sorry Mark J, I should have replied to your post as well. Juicers are not easy to clean if you do it by hand. After a while, depending on the fruit and vegetables you use, you may find the plastic will become stained. Not sure how pernickety you are about your kitchen gadgets, but juicers can start to look a bit unsightly after a while. Even if you don't want to wash the juicer parts straight away after use, it pays to have a bowl of water ready so that you can dump the various bits in immediately. You certainly don't want to leave the residue to dry hard on the metal bits... they'll take an age to clean if that happens.

I don't have a separate juicer any more - it was more hassle than it was worth, frankly. But when I bought my last food processor, I did pay extra to have the juicing attachments as part of the kit. It works better than I expected. I now clean out just about all the solid gunk with a special spatula provided for this purpose and then stick all the bits in the dishwasher. Not great I guess, seeing as it's mostly plastic, but it's either that or not bother using it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom