Just a pinch?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I splurged on myself today and bought a Farberware knife set. Included were some spatulas, a small cutting board and measuring spoons. The measuring spoon sizes were tablespoon, 1/2 tablespoon, teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon and just a pinch...what in the world measurement is just a pinch?!? :huh:Should I consider that my 1/4 teaspoon as most sets come with that? ( I forwarned you all that I was new to this cooking thing.:) )

Why not see if 2 "just a pinch" spoonfuls (leveled off) will fill the 1/2 teaspoon? That's what I'd do. Or -- will 4 measures fill the teaspoon?

Hope you have a knife block or magnetic strip or something to store those knives, and you aren't just tossing them in a drawer to knock together and dull the cutting edges.

Mrs Cuillo, my set also includes 'just a pinch' spoon. Since the quantity is half the size of 1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp is just right.

Well, I feel silly for even asking now...:bangin:I never thought to try that. Two does indeed fill the 1/2 teaspoon.:blush: I'll have to think a little harder next time before I post, but thank you all for not making me feel dumb!

TexanFrench...yes, my set came with a wood block. The only one that did not fit was a seven inch Santoku knife which I kept in the cardboard sleeve that it came in. What is this type of knife used for?

Daisy...that is very helpful information because as of lately I have come across a few of the words you mentioned so I will be keeping that info very close by!:)

TexanFrench...yes, my set came with a wood block. The only one that did not fit was a seven inch Santoku knife which I kept in the cardboard sleeve that it came in. What is this type of knife used for?

I found my answer! This website has everything!!!!

Mrs. Cuillo said:
The only one that did not fit was a seven inch Santoku knife which I kept in the cardboard sleeve that it came in. What is this type of knife used for?

Rachael Ray uses one on 30 Minute Meals, so I would guess it is used to annoy people! :LOL:

I have acquired a lot of measuring spoons. How accurate are the scoop style measuring spoons? I also have several 1/2 tbsp measures. Would that be 1 1/2 tsp? I have an 1/8 tsp that has pinch on the back side of the handle. What do you think is the difference between a level measure and a rounded measure. I have a recipe that calls for a wooden spoonful.
Is there any way that I can get a thinner crust on my banana bread? Glass is supposed to cause a thicker crust so I used a thin metal loaf pan.

I'd add a couple more measures to Daisy's comprehensive list:

A Lump - a round bit about the size of a nut
A splodge - what ever goes "SPLAT!" against the bottom of the pan!!

( Sorry - my humour levels are far too high today after recovering from an evil bout of flu!!!:ohmy: :ohmy: Feel free to hurl cybersnowballs at my head...)

Seriously, Mrs Cuillo - daisy's list is wonderful. However, I'd make the following addition.
When we begin cooking ( and I include myself, 40 years on) we're all very conscious of exact measurements. That's the only way we learn to condiment our food correctly. As we gain experience in the culinary arts, measurements become second nature - we know instinctively how much salt to put in ( because we taste every now and then), we know how to make a perfect Bechamel without measuring out exact amounts of butter and flour; our pastry always turns out fine because we can "feel" the right texture; we understand which herbs are stronger so as to use just a little to enhance flavours.
Stick firmly with your measuring spoons to start - sooner or later you'll begin to say to yourself:
" Hmmm, that teaspoonful of curry powder is just not enough for my taste"
" A PINCH of sage? I'd prefer a little less - too potent for me"
4 cups of broth? No, far too runny..."
and so on.

Well thank you cliveb for having such faith in me! I am looking forward to getting better and being able to just know things off the top of my head like you said. I know it takes time... and that time will come! Thank you for your support! :santa:

Hello there,

Glad you are finding out what you want to know. This site is awesome. And Clive is right. Most non-baking recipes are pretty forgiving. All your little variations together will form your cooking "style" and your style will become the "taste of home" for those you love--something that no one else does so well as you.

Good luck!

Mrs. Cuillo, You have all the answers from daisy. daisy, what a complete,
perfect answer.

Back
Top Bottom