Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ross, here are some good sites for recipes for multicookers, the Instant Pot in particular. A couple of these people have recipes included in the recipe book that comes with it.

- https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com
- https://www.hippressurecooking.com
- https://www.dadcooksdinner.com

Thank you, GG. This is good info for me and my daughter, who is anxious to start cooking in a multicooker... We will learn on mine and I'll buy her one when I move into my apartment..:)

Ross

When I get to Missouri, my first kitchen buy will be an instant pot. I see a number of brands available. I'm not interested in the "latest and best". I can't see spending $200 to $400 to make everyday meals for 2 or 4 people..

Any wisdom to share??.. :)

Ross

Instant Pot is a brand name of a multicooker. I bought mine two years ago for $105. The regular price is $129, but it goes on sale occasionally. I have the six-quart model and it works great for the two of us. You can definitely make dinner for four in it.

Mine has a yogurt setting; I have not used it for that, but msmofet has and she likes it very much. She's posted several recipes here for dishes done in the IP.

Let us know if you have more questions.

My wife has her Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 ($99 at Amazon when I ordered it about 3 weeks ago) wrapped and under the tree as I type this. The Instant Pot pressure cooking cookbook and glass lid too. :)

Last edited:
My wife has her Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 ($99 at Amazon when I ordered it about 3 weeks ago) wrapped and under the tree as I type this. The Instant Pot pressure cooking cookbook and glass lid too. :)

Thank you, Rick.. I believe that's the one I was looking at on Amazon.. :)

Ross

I have a Cuisinart electric PC that I got for $99, it does all the same things as the Instant Pot, love it, use it regularly.

Your comments are interesting. I've always had excellent results with All-Clad and other SS clad cookware. Why can't you trust SS? What are the naysayers saying?

I've only used cheap SS and it's awful at retaining heat, doesn't sear as good as CI, gets discolored, cannot go into the oven at high temps, etc... Honestly, I don't know why people buy non-stick SS?

I know All-Clad is the next line of SS and have an aluminum or copper core and it withstands more abuse than say, Tramontina, but people have reviewed that it does not conduct heat as uniformly, especially their D5 line, and the new golden child is Demeyere, which has a solid aluminum core. People also have issues with their handles.

I won't link it here, but there's another foodie site that goes into great detail reviewing All-Clad products and it's where I got most my information. :angel:

Maybe you should try something other than cheap SS before you go bashing it across the board. We have 2 different size fry pans, 1 that I guess would be a saucier pan, and a dutch oven type pan. At least 2 of them are all clad, I'd have to get up to see what the other 2 are, which I don't want to do right now, but they all have the cored bottoms. No, they don't hold heat as well as CI, but they also don't weigh anywhere near as much, which is starting to be an issue for me as arthritis in hands has been acting up lately. They also won't rust if you leave liquid in them. The all clad is oven safe to 500 and is broiler safe as well. Not sure what you'd be cooking at 500 plus for any length of time in a home oven anyway.

Home ovens generally don't go above 500 F. As compared to aluminum, CI is a lousy conductor of heat, as is SS. The aluminum (or copper) core conducts heat across the pan. Is the cheap SS you used tri-ply or just SS?

This thread has taken a turn for the worse. I'm not "bashing" anything, I'm giving my opinions on why I don't trust SS from my personal experience and from reading reviews by informed people. I, personally, like CI because of the way it retains heat, its durability and the price. But I don't know why I have to defend my position on why I like a certain cookware more than others? It really boils down to personal preference. I'm giving my personal opinion on a food forum board because someone asked me.

And by your rude tone, I don't need to inform you on why SS and non-stick do not fare well with extended use of high heat. There's a myriad of sources that confirm this. Look it up. I'm done here.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse. I'm not "bashing" anything, I'm giving my opinions on why I don't trust SS from my personal experience and from reading reviews by informed people. I, personally, like CI because of the way it retains heat, its durability and the price. But I don't know why I have to defend my position on why I like a certain cookware more than others? It really boils down to personal preference. I'm giving my personal opinion on a food forum board because someone asked me.

And by your rude tone, I don't need to inform you on why SS and non-stick do not fare well with extended use of high heat. There's a myriad of sources that confirm this. Look it up. I'm done here.

Okay, let's just say that there is not one perfect kind of pans. That's why I have so many different pans, from cast iron, to carbon steel, non-stick, and some All-Clad try-ply SS. I find that I prefer certain pans for certain chores. I love my All-Clad sauce pans, and especially love my All-Clad saucier. I used to have some All-Clad skillets, but I prefer my other skillets, so I sold the All-Clad skillets.

So, on xmas day, lets all be thankful that we have so many options available to us for our kitchens. :chef:

CD

Okay, let's just say that there is not one perfect kind of pans. That's why I have so many different pans, from cast iron, to carbon steel, non-stick, and some All-Clad try-ply SS. I find that I prefer certain pans for certain chores. I love my All-Clad sauce pans, and especially love my All-Clad saucier. I used to have some All-Clad skillets, but I prefer my other skillets, so I sold the All-Clad skillets.

CD

No, there isn't, and that was my point earlier in this thread, I was looking to get the All-Clad D5 rondeau because it could do things my Lodge Cast Iron DO could not do, most importantly cook tomato-based sauces, which CI cannot do because it leaves a metal taste in the sauce.

I did not know DC was a pro-All-Clad community, I am new here. I know All-Clad has its enthusiasts, but even dabbling with SS (something I haven't done in 4 years), I will probably go with Demeyere, simply because it has a solid aluminum core and better heat retaining abilities. But that can be another thread for another day. :)

No, there isn't, and that was my point earlier in this thread, I was looking to get the All-Clad D5 rondeau because it could do things my Lodge Cast Iron DO could not do, most importantly cook tomato-based sauces, which CI cannot do because it leaves a metal taste in the sauce.

I did not know DC was a pro-All-Clad community, I am new here. I know All-Clad has its enthusiasts, but even dabbling with SS (something I haven't done in 4 years), I will probably go with Demeyere, simply because it has a solid aluminum core and better heat retaining abilities. But that can be another thread for another day. :)

I have one All-Clad Tri-Ply 12" fry pan and one Kitchen Aid 10" tri-ply fry pan. I don't use them on high heat when frying simply because they don't work well that way. I've found that is the best way to make your meat stick. Medium at most works like a charm. I also have 3 inexpensive nonstick fry pans (14", 12", and 8"), Bakers and Chefs brand. I use all quite often, but not all for the same things.

I don't currently own a cast iron frying pan - mostly my wife hates them because they are too heavy for her to use comfortably. I have 2 no name enameled CI dutch ovens which get regular use.

It's not a case of fan love. In fact I'm not a big fan of All-Clad because I feel that they are a bit too pricey for my budget. However, I've also seen cast iron that is just as pricey, and that is even more off putting to me when I could buy perfectly functional Lodge CI for under $50 for most pieces I'd use. I'm planning to get one Lodge fry pan to keep in the camping trailer.

Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I've only used cheap SS and it's awful at retaining heat, doesn't sear as good as CI, gets discolored, cannot go into the oven at high temps, etc... Honestly, I don't know why people buy non-stick SS?

. :angel:

That's not bashing across the board because you've just used a cheap, more than likely single ply product?

And I'm not a pro anything in particular. I did mention that I'm not even sure what the other 2 SS pans are, so obviously we aren't locked into buying just all clad. BTW, I'm talking about true SS pans, not nonstick-coated SS pans, which do seem to have lots of caveats about oven and stove top searing temperatures/times.

I'm entitled to have and voice my opinions as well.

That's not bashing across the board because you've just used a cheap, more than likely single ply product?

I'm entitled to have and voice my opinions as well.

I'm not bashing. Bashing is coming onto a board and looking down on people who use "cheap" stainless steel and therefore have inferior opinions. Actually I do know why people buy non-stick, it's great for frying eggs and sauteing fish. Oh, but why did I say what I did earlier? Because I'm on a public cooking forum and someone asked for my opinion? Maybe I feel that I don't have to back up all my posts with test results? Maybe I could even post erroneous information in good jest (you sure did).

Maybe you shouldn't jump all over people because they have an opinion different than yours? :angel:

And here's another article which compares Tramontina with All-Clad. I guess cheap isn't so bad after all.

Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown | Serious Eats

My only All-Clad pan was bought on one of their online seconds sales, so my 12" fry pan was $89 - about 60% the regular price for the same pan. I have never considered buying one at full price.

Since I've only seen Tramontina in sets at Walmart, it's not that attractive. I only buy what I need, as it's needed, so that's usually one at a time. I haven't bought a "set" of any cooking gear, pans or knives, for many years.

There is an old saying, "The first step to getting out of a hole, is to stop digging." So, before any more feelings get hurt, why don't we all "stop digging."

As mentioned, this is a public forum, and we all rub each other wrong from time-to-time. It's like driving, sometimes you get cut off... and sometimes you cut somebody off, hopefully not intentionally. The best thing to do is to let it go.

Soooooo, what did Santa bring you? I've been expecting a lot of new "kitchen candy" posts today, and in the days to come.

CD

Back
Top Bottom