Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how is a grill, smoker, burner, etc. not part of a kitchen? They are all cooking tools, just like an oven or a stovetop.

No one said that there was anything wrong with your post about your new Slow n Sear being in this thread. It is your new cooking candy. But, as happens on occasion, the topic veared completely away from Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!. There are other places on DC for discussing the pros and cons of outdoor cooking equipment and showing off the stuff that someone already has. Newer members might not even have noticed that there is a forum for posts about outdoor cooking and everything that goes with that.

In any case, it's no big deal.

And it's fine for a discussion to go off topic for a while. No one was blaming anybody for it going off topic. That just happens. But, it was starting to look like it wasn't going to go back on topic. All those posts about grills and smokers will be hard to find in the future. Who will remember to look in Kitchen "Candy", when there is a forum for outdoor cooking?
So how is a grill, smoker, burner, etc. not part of a kitchen? They are all cooking tools, just like an oven or a stovetop.
When the discussion changes from "look what I just got!" to methods and techniques and gear people already have, it's not about new Kitchen Candy anymore.

Sorry if I've started something. I just thought there was a better place to continue the discussion.

Look guys, "she who started the thread" said that it wasn't a big deal, but the idea of a thread dedicated to daily smoking and grilling was a good one. And the next time someone buys a shiny new grill or smoker can brag about it here. But if aficionados want to discuss the fine points of those cookers, they're free to start a thread to wax poetic.

Meanwhile, how about someone go out and buy something so we can discuss something new? :mrgreen: I can't - I have a baseball game to listen to.

oh boy, oh boy, CG just gave me permission to go out and buy something new!!

what to buy... what to buy... How much can I spend CG?

Attachments

• which which.jpg
    which which.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 205
Meanwhile, how about someone go out and buy something so we can discuss something new? :mrgreen: I can't - I have a baseball game to listen to.
CG said that someone should go out and buy something so we have something to discuss, so I ordered one of those newfangled Sue Veed contraptions. I have a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime, and they have the Anova Nano for $63 for Prime members. I also ordered a Rubbermaid container and a lid for the container to fit the Nano. Order total was $92.

As the general recommendation has been that a vacuum sealer is required, I haven't made the plunge, as I don't have a need for vacuum sealer for any other purposes. ATK recently stated that Ziploc freezer bags can be successfully used, so I'm about to find out if this is good advice.

CG said that someone should go out and buy something so we have something to discuss, so I ordered one of those newfangled Sue Veed contraptions. I have a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime, and they have the Anova Nano for $63 for Prime members. I also ordered a Rubbermaid container and a lid for the container to fit the Nano. Order total was $92.

As the general recommendation has been that a vacuum sealer is required, I haven't made the plunge, as I don't have a need for vacuum sealer for any other purposes. ATK recently stated that Ziploc freezer bags can be successfully used, so I'm about to find out if this is good advice.

TS, I'm here to tell, all you need for your new Sous Vide is a "big enough cooking pot" and Ziplock freezer bags.

...they have the Anova Nano for $63 for Prime members. I also ordered a Rubbermaid container and a lid for the container to fit the Nano. Order total was $92...

Great deal, tenspeed. My daughter is looking for a deal on the nano and I only see a $99 price in Prime.

...they have the Anova Nano for $63 for Prime members. I also ordered a Rubbermaid container and a lid for the container to fit the Nano. Order total was $92...

Great deal, tenspeed. My daughter is looking for a deal on the nano and I only see a $99 price in Prime.

TS, I'm here to tell, all you need for your new Sous Vide is a "big enough cooking pot" and Ziplock freezer bags.

Thanks, Kayelle. I might have been tempted to buy that Anova Nano gadget. Looks this Prime Day thing is only gonna set me back $5 for a smart plug.

Last edited:
I've also seen a silicone disk with a cutout that is a universal lid for most cookware. About $10.

I use a 12-quart cheap stockpot with a sheet of foil to cover the top. If I'm cooking more pieces I go to a 16-quart stockpot.

I use a foodsaver (not just for sous vide), but a sip-lock bag will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZPLF0ezw8

CD

I have yet to Sous Vide anything more than 5 hrs so water evaporation hasn't been an issue in my kitchen stock pot so far. I see no need for a dedicated container, but that's just me.

I have yet to Sous Vide anything more than 5 hrs so water evaporation hasn't been an issue in my kitchen stock pot so far. I see no need for a dedicated container, but that's just me.
Not that I can claim any experience, but it stands to reason that a cover will not only reduce evaporation, but will also reduce heat loss. I know that I could cobble something together, but I would prefer to have something properly designed and made for the purpose, especially at that price.

Not that I can claim any experience, but it stands to reason that a cover will not only reduce evaporation, but will also reduce heat loss. I know that I could cobble something together, but I would prefer to have something properly designed and made for the purpose, especially at that price.

That's why I used piece of foil to cover the pot.

I must be missing something. I thought the device itself maintains the consistent temperature. Just my experience, but I've never covered my pot of water and have had perfect results for an under 5 hr cook. YRMV

The device does maintain temperature. However, it's just like boiling a pot of water on the stove. You cover the pot to contain the heat so it will boil faster and use less energy. Same with the Anova. Covering the pot helps keep the heat in and therefore use less electricity to maintain temps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom