Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooohh, I missed this. Very purty, CG! Have you used it yet? If yes, what for?
Of course I've used it! :LOL: I'm like a kid with a new toy or pair of shoes gotta use or wear it until it's all worn out. Except this stuff doesn't wear out.

I made the pork chops and sauerkraut in them a week or so ago, and also the Italian sausage/Swiss chard/pasta dish. I also sauteed tonight's zucchini in it.

I finally found a pattern I like for some new Corelle everyday dishes. The fact it never breaks is both good and bad as I'm so sick of my 30 yr. old pattern, it's time to donate it. I was glad to find it on sale with Wayfair. I don't want or need the bowls or cups, so I ordered 6 each of the dinner and lunch plates.Take a look see..
https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tab...ece-dinnerware-set-service-for-4-rel1694.html

Pretty, Kayelle.

I like the subliminal way Wayfair uses for other items. Instead of "suggested for you" or "other items you might like", they go right at it with "You Might Also Need". [emoji38] I resisted. ;)

New Food Processor Arrived Yesterday

IMG_20191231_144459714.jpg

I finally found a pattern I like for some new Corelle everyday dishes. The fact it never breaks is both good and bad as I'm so sick of my 30 yr. old pattern, it's time to donate it. I was glad to find it on sale with Wayfair. I don't want or need the bowls or cups, so I ordered 6 each of the dinner and lunch plates.Take a look see..
https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tab...ece-dinnerware-set-service-for-4-rel1694.html

LOL,
my first set (in the 60's) bought because they wouldn't break and when you're on a strict budget with kids, it's a given. Less than 5 years in and I was looking for ways to break them as that would be the only excuse I could have to allow the expenditure for new dishes... :mad: It wasn't until another 10 years, the pattern was completely worn off that I got a new set, NOT Corelle.

Love it skillet! want one of those!

Last edited:
Really pretty dishes, Kayelle.

Dragnlaw, I have a lava molcajete and that thing is so heavy, I never use it. I store shallots in it [emoji38]

Nice. I don't foresee any Kitchen Candy in my future for a very long time, if ever. I now have far more dishes, etc., than I ever needed as my Dad wants me to get rid of everything. I am going to hold off on that for a while. I was still sorting through my brother's and my stuff in Ontario when I was summoned back to MN.

Great food processor, skillet! I use mine all the time, though I never use it for weighing things, as I'm adding - definitely too heavy.

Here are some tips, that I have done to mine, to make them work better. First, both the basalt molcajete, with 3 feet, and the granite mortar, with the flat base, I put silicone rubber on, to keep them from sliding on the counter, as well as preventing scratching. The molcajete, with the 3 feet, I just put a dab of silicone seal on each foot(after cleaning with acetone), then put a piece of waxed paper over each of them, then put a piece of scrap plexiglass over it, letting the weight squeeze it down slightly, to just about 1/8" thick. Then remove the plexiglass, let the silicone seal cure several days, and pull the waxed paper off - it comes off fairly easily; any that doesn't come off, rub off with water.

The granite mortar, with a broad base, I clean with acetone, then I spread the silicone seal about 1/8" thick, as evenly as possible, using something like an old gift card, then covered with WP, a piece of plexiglass, and pressed gently, to get it as flat as possible. Take the plexiglass away, and let it cure about a week - by this time, it should be totally firm. Then remove the WP, rubbing it off with water, if necessary.
Silicone feet on molcajete, and silicone pad on granite mortar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Another thing that I did with the basalt molcajete, was to seal it. These things can be very porous, and some of the rock breaks away when first used - they tell you to grind some rice in it, throw it away, and grind some more, until no more of that "black sand" is in there. What I sealed it with was some food grade, water based polyurethane amazing how much soaked in the first time! I let it cure several days, then did it again, and then a third time, with little soaking in the third time, so I blotted it off. I let it cure for a couple of weeks, and that was it. This makes it easy to clean, with little of those aromas staying in the stone.

I got a few new baking dishes recently. One is an Emile Henry 13x9 pan that I got on sale at Sur La Table. I already had a Pyrex one but wanted one with deeper sides. Went to TJ Maxx Home Goods and got another 13x9 dish plus a couple 9x9. These were generic ones and a lot less expensive than the Emile Henry.

Those goodies look great, msmoffet! I would be interested in seeing pictures of your fermenting setup sometime.

My Mother gave me a set of 3 of these platters...I'm so excited to give someone something on this!

View attachment 38657

You write your name and date on the back with a magic marker,
what a neat idea!

Kgirl, for someone like you these plates are really perfect. You are so generous with your gifts of food to others, I only hope you eventually get them back.:wub:
My Mama taught me long ago it was bad form to ever return an empty plate.

Back
Top Bottom