Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that, Janet!. So much so, I showed it to Himself and asked him to make something like that for me. I have only my one French rolling pin here, since I took my standard one to our daughter's to make pies when we're there. She also probably has my Mom's old one somewhere in a box in her basement - at least I hope she still has it! I could probably acquire a few more pins before Himself even cuts the wood for the backboard. :LOL:

If you search etsy for rolling pin rack you'll find all sorts of good ideas - not all of them wood. eye candy for sure...

I'll do that, Janet, once I locate my etsy password. I hide it to avoid temptation. [emoji38]

I have a little catching up with what I've added to my collection. On our way home from FL, we stopped at the Le Creuset outlet store in Yemassee, SC. The clerk who assisted me said that they were about five miles from where the product comes off the boats. They are the only dedicated clearance store, too, apparently. All I know is that I got good deals. I bought a 2 3/4 quart "soup pot" ( they've never seen how much I make at once, apparently), figuring it would be the perfect size for no knead bread, if I ever make it. I also got two cast iron au gratin dishes, the one pint size. Lastly, a mortar and pestle because I didn't have one at the time and it was under $10. Even though we bought these things in mid-December, I counted them to be Christmas gifts.
IMG_20201231_203612069.jpg

Next was a kitchen goodie that I opened on Christmas - a set of Danish dough whisks. Here they are with my new weather station. The base unit sits on my sink window sill, so it's in the kitchen, too.IMG_20201231_204011934.jpg

Finally, Himself and I wandered in to BB&B when running errands on Monday because he wanted to see if they still had a nice assortment of shavers. Nope, not three days after Christmas! But...we spotted Kitchenaid mixers on clearance. He tried talking me into getting a refurbished one when we saw them at a little kitchen shop in FL a couple of years ago; I didn't want to buy that far from home in case there had been an issue. Well...he finally twisted my arm. I guess I'll make friends with it over the winter.

IMG_20201231_204118337.jpg

Nice kitchen goodies, CG. Let me know how you like those Danish whisks. I have been reading good things about them, but not from anyone I "know".

Nice kitchen goodies, CG. Let me know how you like those Danish whisks. I have been reading good things about them, but not from anyone I "know".

taxy I have them. 2 sizes, one very large. Although I have used it on occasion not really very much. But the smaller, and I guess the more normal size, is absolutely perfect. I love it.

I do use my kitchen aid for some breads but my go to for any thick batters is that Danish whisk. You won't be sorry!

I have two of different sizes. What exactly are they, how are they used, etc.?

I've kept them because they looked interesting. Gifts....but the giver never used them, but thought I would like them....

taxy I have them. 2 sizes, one very large. Although I have used it on occasion not really very much. But the smaller, and I guess the more normal size, is absolutely perfect. I love it.

I do use my kitchen aid for some breads but my go to for any thick batters is that Danish whisk. You won't be sorry!

Thanks dragn. I guess I'll start checking where I can get them. I think Lee Valley has them.

I have two of different sizes. What exactly are they, how are they used, etc.?

I've kept them because they looked interesting. Gifts....but the giver never used them, but thought I would like them....

I want to know more about them too. From what I have read, they are for mixing dough.

Last edited:
Dragn, any tips I should know about before buying one? Are there gotchas in the construction that I should look out for?

Lee Valley does have them. Here's the link.. There is a description and a very short video that explains about them.

Last edited:
I have a large one of those dough whisks which I use all the time when making bread. I think I got it from KAF, back in the 80s, when I first set up my kitchen, so it has been used A LOT! I use it when adding the flour, until it gets very thick, then I switch over to the dough hook. Or I use it for the very thick poolish, and other pre-ferments. I usually just wash it off by spraying with hot water, unless I used it in something oily, or some stuff dried on it, in which case, I have washed it many times in the DW. I sealed the wood with food safe polyurethane, but only once in the beginning, and never really degraded at all.
Dough whisk by pepperhead212, on Flickr

...Lee Valley does have them...
Thanks for the video - it was fun to watch. But a possible "boo" on introducing me to Lee Valley. I'd not heard of them. Now I'm afraid I'll be spending time browsing and lusting for new stuff. And I don't need "stuff". :LOL: On the plus side, if Himself catches me looking, I can always switch over to a tab with the woodworking tools, a vice of his. ;)

Thanks for the video - it was fun to watch. But a possible "boo" on introducing me to Lee Valley. I'd not heard of them. Now I'm afraid I'll be spending time browsing and lusting for new stuff. And I don't need "stuff". :LOL: On the plus side, if Himself catches me looking, I can always switch over to a tab with the woodworking tools, a vice of his. ;)

Does Lee Valley ship to the US? It's a Canadian company.

Back
Top Bottom