Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it is warmer, I will be looking to replace my over the stove microwave. Nothing wrong with it but I want the ability to have a range hood that vents outside. I’ve heard of microwaves that can do this. Anyone have a microwave with this feature and can comment on how well it vents?

raised hand emoji.jpg

MEEEEE!

IMG_3638.jpg

We have a GE, contractor grade, but I'm sure that it's pretty
similar to ones you would purchase elsewhere.
I like it.
This is my first venting Micro-hood and it does a fine job of it.
Although I have read recently that GE products are not
always the best choice. The electrical panels can go wonky.

Coooool! How well do they work?

They're a bit chunky and slippery plastic. Fun, cool, novel but not awesome to use. Trying again in a darkened room tonight with a stir fry - any excuse for a party (even if it's just 2 of us and some goofy utensils).

When it is warmer, I will be looking to replace my over the stove microwave. Nothing wrong with it but I want the ability to have a range hood that vents outside. I’ve heard of microwaves that can do this. Anyone have a microwave with this feature and can comment on how well it vents?

I recently remodeled my kitchen and I removed my over the range microwave and replaced it with a fairly large hood. Even the best microwaves are fairly poor at venting compared to a dedicated hood. They have small vent openings that don't extend over the front burners, and lack the power to overcome that. If you want something that will pull not only cooking smoke, but grease vapor too, a dedicated hood is the way to go. I can deep fry, sear steaks and utilize my grill pan without my house smelling of food and grease, I can deep fry and my clothes don't even smell of grease, it's quite awesome not smelling yesterday's dinner the next day.

This is just my opinion, but this vent hood was my favorite upgrade.

I recently remodeled my kitchen and I removed my over the range microwave and replaced it with a fairly large hood. Even the best microwaves are fairly poor at venting compared to a dedicated hood. They have small vent openings that don't extend over the front burners, and lack the power to overcome that. If you want something that will pull not only cooking smoke, but grease vapor too, a dedicated hood is the way to go. I can deep fry, sear steaks and utilize my grill pan without my house smelling of food and grease, I can deep fry and my clothes don't even smell of grease, it's quite awesome not smelling yesterday's dinner the next day.

This is just my opinion, but this vent hood was my favorite upgrade.

Very good point!
*Note to self - on next re-model, get a dedicated Range Hood!

Very good point!
*Note to self - on next re-model, get a dedicated Range Hood!

My kitchen was so small before, the over the range microwave was the right choice, it helped me keep my very limited cabinet space free. I'd always longed for a powerful hood. I told my contractor that this was non negotiable!

I am looking forward to getting the old microwave off the counter and the new over the range one in so our kitchen can be done.

We free up a huge amount of counter space by moving the microwave over the range and the exhaust will be better than the hole in the wall fan we used to have.

Got these from Amazon

Non serrated steak knives (I got tired of sawing and fighting with my food)

knives.jpg

And a Spaetzle maker. I love Bavarian beans. Now I can make fresh Spaetzle.

spaetzle_maker.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking forward to getting the old microwave off the counter and the new over the range one in so our kitchen can be done.

We free up a huge amount of counter space by moving the microwave over the range and the exhaust will be better than the hole in the wall fan we used to have.

I had my contractor build a shelf for the micro and put the countertop oven below it, worked well for us, making it a two for one space.

I did like having the micro over the stove, it was very convenient, but I've wanted a powerful vent for so long. I was slightly worried about a smaller microwave, but this medium sized one is perfect.

b0FBgmMcpjiFdjlRdfw6fALB3Ixrqh5RaMr88zUqv4s01v_tP9ZZrvaxbBdr174oiTBehLInjQZnomqTmMU-Y6PL-7krcQy8jA_IBY_5Csxt4Q-h1igkaZueXayOHCw5ea6eS-ZFPt8=w2400

I had my contractor build a shelf for the micro and put the countertop oven below it, worked well for us, making it a two for one space.

I did like having the micro over the stove, it was very convenient, but I've wanted a powerful vent for so long. I was slightly worried about a smaller microwave, but this medium sized one is perfect.

b0FBgmMcpjiFdjlRdfw6fALB3Ixrqh5RaMr88zUqv4s01v_tP9ZZrvaxbBdr174oiTBehLInjQZnomqTmMU-Y6PL-7krcQy8jA_IBY_5Csxt4Q-h1igkaZueXayOHCw5ea6eS-ZFPt8=w2400

That looks nice.

The problem is there's still no counter space there... :LOL:

I do like the double dip on using that space though. If we decide the microwave exhaust isn't working for us we can always redo the space for a hood and put a microwave on the counter again.

We should have this finished up Tuesday!! :w00t2: :w00t2: :w00t2:

That looks nice.

The problem is there's still no counter space there... :LOL:

I do like the double dip on using that space though. If we decide the microwave exhaust isn't working for us we can always redo the space for a hood and put a microwave on the counter again.

We should have this finished up Tuesday!! :w00t2: :w00t2: :w00t2:

Oh that's exciting, I bet that you'll be glad that it's over! This time last year, my kitchen was completely gutted and my first floor was like a war zone, I was so excited when it was finished!

This was the setup when we bought the place, I eventually put up an over the range microwave, notice how the fridge just sticks out into the room in the most inconvenient way.

E2U50yLR6-FVNZQCuqCcpPc6VIAutcTN0vtEzt-4ktX7xTmE4C9LBvUgVgkNKq-RfUsTVXdWuo8KQ46ra7Fzlo6q45IiBmWocGEbLzBkpBOJuheBOHFG9rzF0I03YziznXpwquVPwtw=w2400

Vjx5OCKwxXfmGrnt6V8t0xXxFVBgvdwTUVIbYuN1l15ec4b-OOX_NWRjd-yDs3GGwpEhi9Q38YfLba-qG_LdgJ10wrdW3PscU4LLlQ9RyzAzNvroFLTjmFtsquH-kd4fmBvwcZjtk6I=w2400

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom