Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Bosch, that's about 15 years old, that replaced an '83 KA in 2005 or 2006. I had to replace the motor in 2018, but that's all, and it cleans great - only thing I've had trouble with is dried avocado, which is like cement. Even dried bread dough comes off. I use the Finish tabs, and Jet-dry, and it has a jet-dry dispenser (which almost all have now), with different settings. Washes great!

We opted for Bosch when we did the kitchen remodel. It's a tiny size (18 inches) but works really well. While it is still new, it has been a game-changer. Dishes disappear in it and reappear all clean. Love. It.

I just got this nifty rolling step stool:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...d&pd_rd_w=TliL0&pd_rd_wg=Fjpto&ref_=pd_gw_unk

717ap143pSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I wanted something that would be easy to move around the kitchen and that is tall enough to sit on and low enough that I can rummage near the floor, while sitting. I have discovered that doing stuff while I am bent over is one of the fastest ways to poop me out. And the kitchen is full of things on bottom shelves that have to be rummaged through: bottom shelf and crisper drawers in the fridge, pots and other stuff on the bottom shelf under the counter. I really hope this makes cooking take less energy and fewer stops to rest, so less time. Oh, and it's high enough that standing up again isn't a production. Getting old has its quirks.

Love it, we always called it a Kickstep. Dad got them when he worked at the University, we always had 3 or 4 of them.

My mom had one but without the extra step. I loved it and was always trying to sneak it out when leaving, always got caught - became a big joke with us. I have no idea where it went.

I looked for one for a while but gave up - this was before amazon became so popular - but now I'll have to check it out again! Whether or not it will fit into my new digs is another story, another decision!

Thanks taxy! and so glad to hear how it helps you! same, same here.

(edit: gulp, ain't cheap, is it. but worth it for my back)

Last edited:
This Finally Came!!!

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

I had been keeping an eye on the price of Air Fryers
and landed this big boy for $106USD.
This came with a cookbook of 150
recipes and the retail price for just that is
$24.99USD :clap:

SCORE!

I think I may have blown it though,
I didn't realize that Prime Day is
June 21-22 :ermm::blink:

View attachment 47215

View attachment 47216

I had been keeping an eye on the price of Air Fryers
and landed this big boy for $106USD.
This came with a cookbook of 150
recipes and the retail price for just that is
$24.99USD :clap:

SCORE!

I think I may have blown it though,
I didn't realize that Prime Day is
June 21-22 :ermm::blink:

Neato. Let us know what you think of it when you have used it.

My mom had one but without the extra step. I loved it and was always trying to sneak it out when leaving, always got caught - became a big joke with us. I have no idea where it went.

I looked for one for a while but gave up - this was before amazon became so popular - but now I'll have to check it out again! Whether or not it will fit into my new digs is another story, another decision!

Thanks taxy! and so glad to hear how it helps you! same, same here.

(edit: gulp, ain't cheap, is it. but worth it for my back)

That's why it took me so long to actually buy it. I checked the Bay, Canadian Tire, Staples, etc. and this was the only place that had this. The thing is all steel with something slightly softer and "grippier" on some surfaces. There were some other brands that were a bit cheaper or actually more expensive. But, this seems to be the best brand going for kick stools.

I haven't used it much yet, but so far, I love it.

IMG_0629.jpg

I've been looking for this for awhile!
Prep Solutions by Progressive Mini Silicone Spatulas - Set of 2

IMG_5643.jpg

I got this mini spatula in a promotion box from ACH Foods.
And it's seen a lot of use! So much so, that it's been
starting to broke down along the edges.
I contacted ACH Foods to look for a replacement ...
No such luck :glare:

Then I started to search the WWW and found these!

IMG_0636.jpg

:clap:

So glad that I ordered two sets!

Ross, let me know what else I should try, would you?
I'm so at a lose, TMI, too much information over the `Net ... I'd
rather personal experiences. Tell me what & how you AF meals.

Well. The first thing you should/might know is @ 81, I now seldom put together meals which take extensive prep. I no longer have that energy or desire. I enjoy reading about and seeing the wonderful recipes/meals which are put together in this forum.

That said, I have learned to adjust times and temps, allowing me to cook many of our favorite meals in the a/f. Just about any thing I could cook stove top or in the oven, I can now, after much trial and error, cook or bake in my a/f. Most things from meats to fish to enchiladas to cakes and pies, etc., come out delicious in the a/f.

Its a matter of what you want to cook and how willing you are to experiment.

I am not certain how I would feel about it were I still young and energetic but the a/f is great for us, at this stage of our lives.

Have fun with it and learn, just as you did while becoming the cook you now are. :)

Ross

Really nice. I've had one for years and love it. How big is yours?

Thanks, Mahalo Andy!

The stand-up is a Frigidaire 13 cu.
and my old Chest is a GE 7 cu.
I was considering selling the Chest for $100, I only paid $200 for back when.
But then I looked at what it costs new, almost $500!!!
So I'm keeping it for my carry-over stuff. I've never really had
enough room in the Chest Freezer and now I have plenty of space
for even my Ice Cream Maker cylinder to keep frozen at all times!

View attachment 47689

View attachment 47690

I've been wanting a stand-up freezer for the longest time
and my DH bought this for me.
:clap:
No more freezer-diving me :LOL:
You won't regret buying that, KG! Just be sure to inventory everything, by the shelf, and the door - makes it much easier to find things, plus to keep track of what you have.

I had an upright freezer, that I bought in '84, die in the middle of the pandemic, and it was unbelievable how backed up orders were in stores - so many people were getting freezers that had never had them before! I finally found a place that had GE freezers, at 17 plus cu ft, the largest I could find. Not as big, but I was glad someone had them - I can't be without my freezer!

You won't regret buying that, KG! Just be sure to inventory everything, by the shelf, and the door - makes it much easier to find things, plus to keep track of what you have.

I had an upright freezer, that I bought in '84, die in the middle of the pandemic, and it was unbelievable how backed up orders were in stores - so many people were getting freezers that had never had them before! I finally found a place that had GE freezers, at 17 plus cu ft, the largest I could find. Not as big, but I was glad someone had them - I can't be without my freezer!

PH, I already had two dry-erase boards and bought another, maybe I'll go back and get another!!!
DH says that I have OCD ... but if I didn't keep track of my freezers content, stuff would be lost in that abyss :LOL:
I also had a bunch of Dollar Tree storage containers that I've used in the stand-up to organize goods by groupings, Pork, Beef, etc.

LOL... I don't understand why anyone created the chest freezer in the first place.

An upright freezer is the only way to go!

(ok, yes, I do know but still, the pros far outweigh the cons IMHO)

CONGRATS! Kgirl!

LOL... I don't understand why anyone created the chest freezer in the first place.

An upright freezer is the only way to go!

(ok, yes, I do know but still, the pros far outweigh the cons IMHO)

CONGRATS! Kgirl!

While I prefer a stand up freezer, I can see why that might not be everyone's preference.

Big items fit more easily into a chest freezer. If you have half a moose, in very large chunks, and won't be able to get a butcher to cut it up properly for you for a couple of weeks, then a chest freezer is much more useful. If you get two large frozen turkeys at once, ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom