Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love pretty aprons. Our TJ Maxx always carries a selection. I just have no where to put them :(

I feel your pain. Fortunately for me, we have a beautiful wall-mounted wrought iron coat rack in the utility room, just off the kitchen, that has "one" big hook that is designated for "apron parking only." At the moment I think there are at least 4 at the ready.

Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

I love pretty aprons. Our TJ Maxx always carries a selection. I just have no where to put them :(

It's really quite simple. You put the loop over your head and tie the straps in the middle around your waist.

I feel your pain. Fortunately for me, we have a beautiful wall-mounted wrought iron coat rack in the utility room, just off the kitchen, that has "one" big hook that is designated for "apron parking only." At the moment I think there are at least 4 at the ready.
That's a great idea, I might look into that because I have the worlds smallest kitchen!

That's a great idea, I might look into that because I have the worlds smallest kitchen!

My maternal grandmother had a small (I mean small) broom closet in her kitchen that, in addition to her broom and dustpan, she kept her potatoes and onions in. Her apron hung on a hook on the inside of the narrow door and always smelled of onions. It may sound icky, but when I smell onions, not cooked, I kinda remember her and her oniony apron. It's really a neat memory. She's been looooong gone.

My maternal grandmother had a small (I mean small) broom closet in her kitchen that, in addition to her broom and dustpan, she kept her potatoes and onions in. Her apron hung on a hook on the inside of the narrow door and always smelled of onions. It may sound icky, but when I smell onions, not cooked, I kinda remember her and her oniony apron. It's really a neat memory. She's been looooong gone.
That's a good memory! I'd love to have my grandparents back... you just don't realize what you are missing.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
Katie, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently.

83,500 Vintage Sewing Patterns are Now Available for You to See
Recreate a look that dates back to the 1950s, '40s, '30s, or even the Roaring Twenties.
http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

My maternal grandmother had a small (I mean small) broom closet in her kitchen that, in addition to her broom and dustpan, she kept her potatoes and onions in. Her apron hung on a hook on the inside of the narrow door and always smelled of onions...
Our family home had one of those broom closets...and my Mom kept her apron in there, too! No onion smell, though, since we kept those in the basement.

Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July [emoji38] So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though ;) I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
View attachment 27280

If you don't tell anyone, neither will I. They look just fine. No explanation needed. ;)

This is a great idea for a thread!

I haven't bought anything new (or used for that matter); however, unpacking boxes that have been in storage over the last couple of years as we tried and failed to sell our old place has made it feel like Christmas in July!

I found my tortilla press, ice cream maker, vegetable spiral tool, a set of pyrex bowls and baking pans that a friend gave us and we hadn't opened yet, and some of my catering dishes and supplies. There are still a few boxes left so I am excited to see what I (obviously haven't) been missing! ;)

That is the one thing I wished they had put in these apartments. I finally gave in and bought one of those racks that hold the broom and dust mop up off the floor. Just lift it for release.

I never knew any of my grandparents. They were all gone by the time I arrived.

Merlot, I made a little rack with pegs, and screwed it to the basement door. I hang my antique aprons, our vacation fedoras, and some of Mom's necklaces from the pegs, along with a little worry people purse from Mexico. Takes up no space.

Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.:ermm:

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
I love aprons! My favorite, go-to apron is one that belonged to my mother back in the day; it's just a half apron, which I prefer to the full-smock style. (I don't like the feeling of the strap around my neck.) This is my everyday apron. Nothing stains it. Everything comes out; it's like magic! I have a couple others that I made myself. I didn't use a pattern, aside from looking at my mother's old apron and cutting to a similar size and shape. I've made several for friends; aprons are a really simple sewing project. The one I use when I'm baking is a full-smock style, since there's a lot of flour flying about. It's handmade, too.

I only have one really nice, store-bought apron. That's the one I wear when we have company. My husband bought it for me for xmas one year.

As for storing them, I have a drawer in my kitchen just for aprons.

I wish I could wear an apron but they make me so dang hot! Like Dawg, when I'm cooking for just us, I wear cool ratty house clothes that are just as washable as aprons so no harm done. I have a couple of really cute ones on display on magnet hooks on the side of the fridge.

Merlot, I made a little rack with pegs, and screwed it to the basement door. I hang my antique aprons, our vacation fedoras, and some of Mom's necklaces from the pegs, along with a little worry people purse from Mexico. Takes up no space.

I'll get my fiancé on it :LOL: he can do anything, reminds me of my dad. How I love a man that can actually do stuff!

That is the one thing I wished they had put in these apartments. I finally gave in and bought one of those racks that hold the broom and dust mop up off the floor. Just lift it for release.

I never knew any of my grandparents. They were all gone by the time I arrived.
Addie, I hate that you never knew your grandparents, my dad's father passed when my mom was pregnant with me so I never got to know him but I think my dad is the absolute best thing in the entire world so I hate I missed out on knowing one that raised him.

There are many of us who never had a chance to meet their grandparents. All of mine predeceased me, too. However, many of us were very blessed to have had at least one elderly person in our life that acted grandfatherly or grandmotherly towards us. When I was growing up, my great aunt lived with us from when I was 7 until right after high school graduation. She was my substitute grandma, and I loved her just as dearly as if she were grandma - after all, she was my grandma's sister. There were other "grandparents", but non loved so dearly as Nana.

Back OT, I am so jonesing for something new for the kitchen, but I can't justify anything I might want or need. Need being the only issue. The only item I could really use is a sous chef. Himself is better with his wood shop files than my Microplane. :LOL:

There are many of us who never had a chance to meet their grandparents. All of mine predeceased me, too. However, many of us were very blessed to have had at least one elderly person in our life that acted grandfatherly or grandmotherly towards us. When I was growing up, my great aunt lived with us from when I was 7 until right after high school graduation. She was my substitute grandma, and I loved her just as dearly as if she were grandma - after all, she was my grandma's sister. There were other "grandparents", but non loved so dearly as Nana.

Back OT, I am so jonesing for something new for the kitchen, but I can't justify anything I might want or need. Need being the only issue. The only item I could really use is a sous chef. Himself is better with his wood shop files than my Microplane. :LOL:
Often times in my work I really relate to someone. Right now I have a senior who I love so much, I go to visit her every other day while I'm at work. She lives in the independent living building. She didn't realize I was off 4 weeks for my surgery (it happened suddenly) she saw me today and said I was mad at you for not coming but I haven't stopped praying for you! :)

Come to think of it, I don't think that hottie Trixie on the left wears anything under her apron. :blush:

;):LOL::ROFLMAO:
HA!!
I love my aprons, but I've said this many times before.
And I'm pretty sure I made mention of the newest ones that DH got me.
my new apron.jpg

004.jpg
I have a "Command" hook in the walk-in pantry where I park my apron.

Back
Top Bottom