Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful kitchen, kgirl! And I love your apron collection. GG - love that apron of yours, too. Very Mediterranean. :)

tenspeed - cute link! I saw several there that would make a perfect gift for my son-in-law. :D

I don't wear an apron, but should. ;) I just keep forgetting about it buying one until I read posts like these. haha

Well fortunately, my cooking skills have improved over the years. I have learned not to stir so hard, plunk food down, etc. If I am going to bang a spoon on the edge of the pot, I do it more gentle like. And I now and have been keeping a spoon rest right next to the stove. Saves on cleanup. Pots on all foods cooking on top of the stove also helps. Glub, glub in the pot can spatter food everywhere. Hate cleaning up a mess of my own making.

You don't have to splash food all over the place to make a mess. I do a lot of sautéing and pan-frying and that alone causes splatters. I have a splatter screen but I like to see the food cooking, so I don't use it much. It's easy enough to wipe down the stove. My clothes, not so much :ROFLMAO:

Beautiful kitchen, kgirl! And I love your apron collection. GG - love that apron of yours, too. Very Mediterranean. :)

tenspeed - cute link! I saw several there that would make a perfect gift for my son-in-law. :D

I don't wear an apron, but should. ;) I just keep forgetting about it buying one until I read posts like these. haha

Thanks Cheryl!

002.JPG

I FINALLY got a new Bundt pan, I'm so excited!

I saw this recipe for a Coconut Pound Cake.

003.JPG
006.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

ACK!
WAY too sweet.
Chewy.
HORRID!!
It's going in the trash!

Although, I LOVE my new pan!

That's looks like my new bundt pan, K-Girl. Is it a Wilton, too?

Might I suggest you put it to use making a loaf of Sally Lunn bread? Perfect for toasting, perfect for sandwiches...I'm planning on make another loaf soon. I found a recipe online that is close to the version I use from "The Williamsburg Cookbook". This is the link: Sally Lunn Bread Recipe

There are a few differences between the "Add a Pinch" recipe and the "Williamsburg Cookbook" version. If you want to duplicate the recipe I made, these are the necessary changes:

Ingredients
OMIT the "1/4 cup water"
USE TWO packets of active yeast (or an equivalent measure of your favorite bulk yeast)

Instructions
Step 4 tells you to add ALL the remaining flour along with the eggs and beat for two minutes.
The Williamsburg version had you add 2/3 cup of flour and eggs and beat for two minutes, THEN add the remaining amount of flour and mix until well blended.

After the first rise in the bowl, Williamsburg says to beat the batter down with a spatula or mixer on low speed, then turn into bowl and let rise until increased in bulk by 1/3 to 1/2. I goofed, let it double the second time, and it still came out great!

Also, I turned the oven temperature down to 325F since the bundt pan is kinda dark. The crust was a perfect golden brown.

Whatever you make, have fun with your new pan!

That's looks like my new bundt pan, K-Girl. Is it a Wilton, too?

Might I suggest you put it to use making a loaf of Sally Lunn bread? Perfect for toasting, perfect for sandwiches...I'm planning on make another loaf soon. I found a recipe online that is close to the version I use from "The Williamsburg Cookbook". This is the link: Sally Lunn Bread Recipe

There are a few differences between the "Add a Pinch" recipe and the "Williamsburg Cookbook" version. If you want to duplicate the recipe I made, these are the necessary changes:

Ingredients
OMIT the "1/4 cup water"
USE TWO packets of active yeast (or an equivalent measure of your favorite bulk yeast)

Instructions
Step 4 tells you to add ALL the remaining flour along with the eggs and beat for two minutes.
The Williamsburg version had you add 2/3 cup of flour and eggs and beat for two minutes, THEN add the remaining amount of flour and mix until well blended.

After the first rise in the bowl, Williamsburg says to beat the batter down with a spatula or mixer on low speed, then turn into bowl and let rise until increased in bulk by 1/3 to 1/2. I goofed, let it double the second time, and it still came out great!

Also, I turned the oven temperature down to 325F since the bundt pan is kinda dark. The crust was a perfect golden brown.

Whatever you make, have fun with your new pan!

CG, my pan is a Nordicware, I love it!
Question in regards to this recipe for Sally Lunn Bread:
vegetable shortening, do they mean like Crisco? Or Vegetable oil?
It looks more like cake then bread ;)
My next project fo this new pan will be a Rum Cake,
by DH's request.

When shopping in my daughters fave thrift shop, we found a heavy ceramic bundt pan for $4... The cake she baked was great.. I'm searching for a smaller one for my 'dessert for two' baking...

Ross

CG, my pan is a Nordicware, I love it!
Question in regards to this recipe for Sally Lunn Bread:
vegetable shortening, do they mean like Crisco? Or Vegetable oil?
It looks more like cake then bread ;)
My next project fo this new pan will be a Rum Cake,
by DH's request.
Nordic Ware is good stuff. [emoji106] I used lard. [emoji6] I think some of the recipes online called for oil, but since it says "shortening" I would use lard, Crisco, or something else like that.
It isn't as sweet as cake, and it has a sturdy texture. Not like cake at all - more like Panera's Classic White Bread...except better. [emoji6]

Last edited:
Their bread is worth a visit. We love their baguettes.
For me, it's more like their bread used to be worth a visit. A year or two ago I noticed that the loaves were getting a bit smaller, a bit more dense, and not quite as nice in texture as I was used to. I finally asked one of the clerks if they were having problems with getting the bread to rise. Well, she goes on to tell me that they no longer made the dough in the store. They had been doing that when they opened our location, with the baking crew going in around 3:00 AM to get the ball (of dough :mrgreen: ) rolling. She told me that they had recently started getting their bread pre-made and par-baked from a central facility. They also had a new baker on staff and that person was having problems with timing and getting the dough into the oven at just the right time. So, basically, they started making bread the same way most grocery stores do. Heh. I had been hitting Panera up at least twice a week, but that's when I decided to start making bread at home. Now I stop only when I'm in the mood for something specific that I don't make.

Yes, Panera's baguettes are good, but not all that much than the Price Chopper bakery in the same shopping center...and if I'm going to Price Chopper, I'll just buy their in-store baked bread. Some of it is even mixed from scratch there!

Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July [emoji38] So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though ;) I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
0716171310_HDR.jpg

Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July [emoji38] So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though ;) I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
View attachment 27280

I have this: Deathstar Cookie Jar

Problem is...aside from the camera (it still has not shown up)...I have things started but not finished. Most complete room is the bedroom and it still needs paint. I need to hire a couple of kids to help with pulling up the carpet in the kitchen and dining room. New items in boxes, new patio doors in the garage. So many projects and Dad is slowing down, doing it all my self. The outside looks good, my trees and perennials are doing well.

After years of buying and then getting rid of several different styles and brands of cookie presses, I finally bought a used WearEver Super Shooter. They sell for crazy prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a great deal. I think the one I got is dated 1974. My mother had one that we used every xmas to make dozens upon dozens of cookies, and every model I've tried to buy in my adult life could not compare, so I hunted and hunted until I could find one like hers that was affordable. They need to start manufacturing these again, because the newer cookie presses are terrible.

When that box showed up on my doorstep, I was like a 7-year-old on xmas morning.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.:ermm:

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.

After years of buying and then getting rid of several different styles and brands of cookie presses, I finally bought a used WearEver Super Shooter. They sell for crazy prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a great deal. I think the one I got is dated 1974. My mother had one that we used every xmas to make dozens upon dozens of cookies, and every model I've tried to buy in my adult life could not compare, so I hunted and hunted until I could find one like hers that was affordable. They need to start manufacturing these again, because the newer cookie presses are terrible.

When that box showed up on my doorstep, I was like a 7-year-old on xmas morning.

I love packages! It about killed me when a patient of mine had a unwrapped gift from Christmas and it was the beginning of summer. I was like... um don't you want to open that?! She said oh no it's fine, I'll leave it there. I never got to see what was in it. Lord I'm nosy :ROFLMAO:

Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.:ermm:

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
I love pretty aprons. Our TJ Maxx always carries a selection. I just have no where to put them :(

Back
Top Bottom