Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's otherwise perfect why not take it to an electrician to have it re-wired? Obviously, use a properly qualified electrician (one who's registered with the organisation which oversees qualified electrical engineers so you've some protection against the dangerous villains).

I come from a family of qualified electricians. In this country, their hourly wage is far above what a hand mixer would cost.

MsM, as a new fan of my Anova Sous Vide, I'm wondering about trying Sous Vide with your pot. It has the function to hold a constant temperature but there is theoretically going to be a temperature gradient in the water bath because there isn't anything circulating the water.

I have seen pictures of sous vide cooked steaks from the Instant Pot and they look pretty good. I will need to do a little research before I try it.

Attachments

• 20180705_160715.jpg
    20180705_160715.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Well it's not very exciting, but sometimes the little things need to be appreciated too. I got THIS SCRAPER the other day. I mostly expected it to be some cheap, flimsy plastic thing. I was pleasantly surprised. Good and rigid, has some heft to it so that if feels like a tool, not a toy. At 8" long, it's far more effective than the metal one I've been using for a few years. $13 was low enough for me to give it a try.

51vMKv0KfsL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice bench scrapper, Rick. I have the metal kind, but with a nice wide plastic grip along one of the long sides. Works for me since I work my dough on a wooden board. That one would be nice to use on a bare counter top.

Daughter and SIL brought me an electric patio grill on the 4th...
Well Happy Birthday U.S.A. - and YOU get the gift. Nice! Enjoy grilling while you can - or just bundle up come snow season.

I scored this set of vintage Corningware bakeware at a yard sale last weekend, for $10 for the entire set! Perfect condition. :ohmy: I didn't need it but couldn't pass it up, so I gave it to my daughter.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I scored this set of vintage Corningware bakeware at a yard sale last weekend, for $10 for the entire set! Perfect condition. :ohmy: I didn't need it but couldn't pass it up, so I gave it to my daughter.

Very pretty Cheryl! I don't think I've ever seen that pattern. I had the Blue Cornflower back in the day.

I love that pattern - it's called "Wildflowers". Kay, I also have a couple of the Cornflower casserole dishes, and several of the Spice of Life. Vintage Corning ware sells for a pretty penny on Ebay - lots more than $10 for 3! :)

Nice "get", Cheryl! I think my Mom had a couple pieces in that pattern. If we still have them, they're at Loverly's home. I have a small Blue Cornflower frypan with lid and an 8-inch baking dish in Spice of Life that were Mom's. Pretty much any that I bought on my own were French White. How boring! :LOL:

Thanks, Princess and CG! Yeah...I *almost* felt guilty about such a deal, but I know they wanted to sell everything as quickly as possible so I obliged them. ;) I used to have a little Cornflower teapot, but I don't know whatever happened to that. I also had a plain white cutting 'board', until my brother used it one day to mix spackle and accidently broke it. :bash: :LOL:

CG, the white ones are pretty too, and even more so with colorful food in them! :)

Last edited:
That is good business. Take care of a customer, and they will tell everyone they know that you took care of them. As a commercial photographer, I am a "business owner," and I make most of my money from repeat customers, and get most of my new business from word of mouth advertising from my current customers.

CD
Hear, hear!

Nice "get", Cheryl! I think my Mom had a couple pieces in that pattern. If we still have them, they're at Loverly's home. I have a small Blue Cornflower frypan with lid and an 8-inch baking dish in Spice of Life that were Mom's. Pretty much any that I bought on my own were French White. How boring! :LOL:

Well, from the point of view of a girl, yes. As a man who cooks (and owns a poodle), the last thing I want is cookware with flowers on it. :ermm: :LOL:

CD

Thanks, Cheryl, but I really just stumble on them most of the time. However, I will have to say that the three Goodwill stores that I frequent are more like shopping at a very, very nice consignment store without the "consign" part.

What I see on the shelves and racks are always first rate. I can't imagine what they turn away.

When I bought the crock-pot crock, I also bought a John Deere-licensed dinner plate for our youngest grandson who eats, sleeps, drinks, plays all things John Deere.
I love what we call "Charity Shops" over here.

Where I live there is a Cancer Research shop which has fantastic clothes (two winters ago I picked up a beautiful cream woollen coat, never worn, complete with the original retailer's price tag (£250!!!), which cost me £25 (approx. $30).

Another local charity shop is a Mecca for kitchen equipment - I recently picked up a giant-sized slow cooker (like a Crock Pot) for £2. Works perfectly and ideal for batch cooking for the freezer.

The Oxfam charity has cookery book shop in Glossop - heaven! Most of my (300!!!) cookery books originate from there and I have to be very firm with myself!

I've been baking cookies a lot lately - DH likes to have one or two with his an afternoon coffee. I have three sheet pans and only two silicone baking mats, so, in order to make it a little more efficient ;) I decided to get another one. I found this cute set of three that includes a toaster oven size mat for just a few dollars more than a single Silpat.
0709181734a.jpg

I've been baking cookies a lot lately - DH likes to have one or two with his an afternoon coffee. I have three sheet pans and only two silicone baking mats, so, in order to make it a little more efficient ;) I decided to get another one. I found this cute set of three that includes a toaster oven size mat for just a few dollars more than a single Silpat.
View attachment 30612
Nice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom