Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve been following this thread since I joined and most of the other little things I picked up lately were just tidbits of everyday kitchen things.

A few weeks ago I found a nice skillet and lid, although not new but can hold its own still today and maybe better than a new one. I was very happy to find it for the name brand and especially the size. Was looking for a number #10 for more than a while, it was a unexpected find as it is a deep 3” chicken fryer size 10

Thanks cooking Goddess for allowing old school things to be included in your thread and be proud to use in the kitchen.

If it would be of interest here I thought about a restoration thread on old iron.
I’ve seen questions posted on how or what to do as well as other questions.

These pictures are as found and not what they look like now.

tZF6iN1.jpg

9MRR5hC.jpg

Last edited:
That's a wonderful find, Steven. Thank you for sharing your pic. I'd love to have a lid for my old Griswold.

Sorry, PF. You must have low resistance. I can look and look and still not buy. Either I have a high resistance to shopping, or a very high level of cheapness. :LOL:

So true, but every so often you do have to treat yourself. It is great when you other half does it for you. But there is a special feeling you get when you treat yourself.

My first husband was the chef in our home. About every third month he would get a bug into him and want to bake. So he would head over to Chelsea, a three minute ride from our home. There was and still is a very large restaurant supply store there. He would come home with some new fangled piece of cooking equipment. It was the one time I was allowed in the kitchen when he was doing the cooking or baking. He would teach me what the piece of equipment was for and how to use it.

He left his school when he was 14. Then at the tender age of 16 he went to his first cooking school in England. When he was 17, WWII came to England and he joined the army. Needless to say they put him in the kitchen to feed the troops on his home ground. Then when he was 18 he was sent to India. India was still under English control. He loved Indian food and learned all he could while there. He often made dishes from there and the kids to this day still love it. Not me. I thought it had a very strong odor and refused to even try it. But he was thrilled that the kids loved it as much as he did.

After the war, he attended two more cooking schools. He loved cooking and wanted to learn all he could. His final school was the Cordon Bleu. He told us that it was the hardest school he ever attended. But he past with flying colors. I hung his diploma from there in the kitchen. Any of our friends that came to visit always sat in the kitchen to have coffee or a beer. If they failed to see it or ask questions, I made it a point to mention it to them.

So I did learn a few lessons from him. I can make a perfect eclair or cream puff. Thanks to him.

it is also therapeutic

Right now I am working on keeping my balance on one foot. Have not made much progress. So I had Pirate bring me all the ingredients to make a dough for pizza and sat at the table to do the mixing and kneading. The bowl was too high for me to reach in so I dumped all the ingredients right on the spotless clean table.

You are so right about the kneading being therapeutic. While doing it tears of self pity and anger were flowing into the dough. And a lot of evil thoughts were removed from my mind. A lot of anger also went into that dough.:wacko: As a result I think I made the best dough I have ever made. It is soft and very supple. Right now it is sitting in the freezer wrapped really tight in plastic and in a ZipLock bag. Pirate is excited about making that pizza.

Therapeutic? You can bet your bippy. It worked for me and can work for anyone who is feeling down and alone. Give it a try! You won't be sorry.

...If it would be of interest here I thought about a restoration thread on old iron.
I’ve seen questions posted on how or what to do as well as other questions...

We've discussed restoring seasoning and reasoning on occasion in the past. It was never a huge topic.

That said, There's no reason not to start one now. We might learn something.

SO and I were at a flea market a couple of Sundays ago and I came across a guy who was selling some Griswolds. We were looking at some tiny skillets, maybe 6" in diameter, appropriate for an egg or two. They were priced at $135 and up each. We passed.

Andy, I had one of those 6 inch cast iron pans. It was perfect for a quick poached egg. While the other kids wanted just cereal for breakfast, my daughter always wanted a poached egg on toast for her breakfast.

I found this gem at a yard sale and paid a whole dollar for it. It needed some care on the outside. But the inside was well seasoned. I worked on getting all the baked on grease on the outside and gave the inside a quick wash with a clean rag. Never had an egg stick. I would love to have that pan today. But not at the price you quoted. Sounds like he was selling the name.

Andy thanks for the heads up on a topic that’s been covered in the past, no sense beating a dead horse :)

I think the flea market guy was a bit delusional thinking he had Gris-gold. Size #8 is the most common it seems. And can still be found at a fair price, the larger over 8 and prices go to what a buyer will pay. Condition and rarity play a major factor. Sizes under 8 can be found from $15-35 if you’re not in a hurry and let the piece find you.

Cheryl, if type of lid doesn’t matter to you a good place to find one are the thrift stores and goodwill, it doesn’t have to be cast iron many skillets and Dutch Ovens were offered with glass lids and those can be found way cheap.

Andy thanks for the heads up on a topic that’s been covered in the past, no sense beating a dead horse :)...

Steven, I think you misunderstood me. I think you should start a thread dedicated to the care and use of cast iron cookware. It'll be good to have it all in one place.

Andy drop me a PM or answer here of the best place to start that type of thread I don’t want to take this thread off track of cool, fun and interesting things we all here enjoy playing with in the kitchen.

Thanks for your interest, I’ve read many of your posts. Well since this isn’t my thread let’s get back to all neat things we enjoy to experiment with that have the love of good food attached to it.:chef::yum:

Steve,

While on our most recent (just got back yesterday) road trip,
I insisted that DH take me to this specialty market
that I have been wanting to go to that carries
a large majority of the "local" ingredients that
I LOVE from Hawaii.
Not pictured are all of the frozen food items
that I purchased... Zippy's Chili, Kamaboko,
S&S Saimin, Guava Juice concentrate, Portuguese
Sausage... I think that was it :LOL:
I had to buy a cheap-o Styrofoam cooler to get
it all home :)

071.jpg
I loved these rice bowls and shoyu dishes,
just had to have them... like I don't
have enough bowls already

072.jpg
I'd been looking for this cream pitcher
for years!
AND a Champagne Stopper to replace
the on that someone nipped from my kitchen

073.jpg
A Christmas gift for my Mother
An Owl Tea Pot

074.jpg
I'd been looking for a better spatula
for my grill

075.jpg
for julienne veggies

077.jpg
a nice non-stick Wok/Fry pan

076.jpg
other food items that a snagged

Nice haul, K-Girl!

We did a wee bit of shopping at a kitchen goodie store in Lenox, MA. My SIL and I found Different Drummer's Kitchen Store back in 2002. I like to look around whenever we're in the area...

IMG_20181004_223624613.jpg

That must have been fun shopping Kgirl. How does that thing for julienne vegis work?

Taxy, I haven't used it yet, so I'll let you know, but it seems as though like a cheese grater you'd simply drag the veg over the razor sharp blades... but I'll fill you in...
AND I had a blast! I really could have spent all day there, but I promised DH that I wouldn't.
I was in there for 45 minutes while DH sat outside with his Iphone for entertainment, and then when I came out he exclaimed: DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH YOU SPENT?
To my response: YUP, thank you very much, you can call that my early Christmas gift
:LOL:

Taxy, I haven't used it yet, so I'll let you know, but it seems as though like a cheese grater you'd simply drag the veg over the razor sharp blades... but I'll fill you in...
AND I had a blast! I really could have spent all day there, but I promised DH that I wouldn't.
I was in there for 45 minutes while DH sat outside with his Iphone for entertainment, and then when I came out he exclaimed: DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH YOU SPENT?
To my response: YUP, thank you very much, you can call that my early Christmas gift
:LOL:

With me and my wife it was more like me asking, "Where are we going to put that stuff??!!!"

I was all "form follows function," and she was all "style over substance" when it came to buying stuff for the house. "Me: "You already have three of those." Her: "Not like this one." (We need a face-palm smiley)

CD

This candy is for the kitchen, or living room, or while riding in the car... Anywhere, actually. I have no idea what kind of chocolate Chocolate Springs Cafe uses, but it is excellent. We each picked out six items from the truffle cases, and also a bag of slab chocolate with mix-ins: cashews for me and dried fruit and nuts for Himself. The flat truffles are tiny works of art!

IMG_20181005_001834866.jpgIMG_20181005_001927161.jpg

That must have been fun shopping Kgirl. How does that thing for julienne vegis work?
You slide your vegetable along and the wiggly blades cut it into "julienne" ie thin strips, taking care not to slice your fingers too.

I have a extra blade like that for my mandolin (which is a gadget for slicing veg, etc into thin slices)

You slide your vegetable along and the wiggly blades cut it into "julienne" ie thin strips, taking care not to slice your fingers too.

I have a extra blade like that for my mandolin (which is a gadget for slicing veg, etc into thin slices)
I think I need to see the thing out of its package to understand how it works.

It looks nothing like the julienne blade for my mandolin. Well, maybe the blade I'm thinking of is actually for cutting French fry strips.

I think I need to see the thing out of its package to understand how it works.

It looks nothing like the julienne blade for my mandolin. Well, maybe the blade I'm thinking of is actually for cutting French fry strips.
It doesn't look like the julienne blade on my mandolin, either, but I think it works the same way.

Back
Top Bottom