Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use mine more for dry ingredients, like making fresh bread crumbs. Thanks for the heads up, though, tenspeed.

After wanting to get a new tea strainer insert for a glass teapot, a replacement for its original glass insert, I took advantage of a 20% off sale at Harney Tea and got a new mug with its own insert. Bonus, the strainer fits the old teapot!
IMG_20190420_153417369_HDR.jpg

I use mine more for dry ingredients, like making fresh bread crumbs. Thanks for the heads up, though, tenspeed.

After wanting to get a new tea strainer insert for a glass teapot, a replacement for its original glass insert, I took advantage of a 20% off sale at Harney Tea and got a new mug with its own insert. Bonus, the strainer fits the old teapot!
View attachment 34482

Score! :punk:

I used to be a coffee drinker with sugar and half and half. Then one day I had no half and half. So I made myself a huge cup of British based tea with only a little sugar. I have never gone back to the coffee. Pirate drinks his coffee black with just a little sugar. I simply can't handle black coffee. No matter how you may doctor it up.

I can't help think of all the money I have I have saved for the past couple of years on not purchasing half and half.

So, I got drunk and bought this..lol..well, not really, but my wife likes to tease me that I did..it was a spontaneous purchase fueled by frustration and a bit of white wine..I have gone through a few cheese graters as of late as they tend to wear out from the Parmesan cheese we grate. We eat a lot of pasta..anyhoo, while making dinner I broke another cheese grater and said I want to spend a bit more money and buy something that may last long, so this one came up..A GEFU..Made in Germany, looked good, good reviews..send to cart..box came it was about 2 feet high.."Oh, my Gosh!! What did I buy?" turns out it is only about 12 inches high, works great so far..still haven't found a cupboard where I can store it..lol..

Attachments

• 58379240_994385794253008_5349517707177885696_n (2).jpg
    58379240_994385794253008_5349517707177885696_n (2).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Another New Pot

I ordered this, and used it for the first time today...love it. At 3.5 qt, it's ideal for us.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/77E6BWT5GQ12

It will certainly last my lifetime.:rolleyes:;)
Great pot of soup.

Ooh!!!
I just ordered the Red one :heart:

IMG_4102.jpg

I had to wait a little bit, since we were gone for a while...
NOW! What to make in it first?
That was DH's question to me as I pulled it from it's box …
"That looks really nice. What are you going to make?
AND what happens when you get it all messed up?"
:LOL:
He knows me too well … If my pots and pans look yucky,
I'm compelled to clean them, thoroughly, before I can
cook in them again :ROFLMAO:
My Mother always FREAKS OUT when ever I buy a new
kitchen toy … "What do you need that for?" She doesn't cook … :rolleyes:

View attachment 34574

I had to wait a little bit, since we were gone for a while...
NOW! What to make in it first?
That was DH's question to me as I pulled it from it's box …
"That looks really nice. What are you going to make?
AND what happens when you get it all messed up?"
:LOL:
He knows me too well … If my pots and pans look yucky,
I'm compelled to clean them, thoroughly, before I can
cook in them again :ROFLMAO:
My Mother always FREAKS OUT when ever I buy a new
kitchen toy … "What do you need that for?" She doesn't cook … :rolleyes:

That is the size I wanted. Instead I ended up with that huge one and I can't even lift the lid from it. Lucky you. Even Pirate says it is too heavy for him to lift. So unless you have a 10 foot he-man in your home, this is definitely the size to get. Enjoy and make a delicious Hawaiian dish.

Happy cooking and happy eating!

...I replaced one of my big saute/frypans with a new beauty...

Not sure if I should be calling this a beauty...or a beast. You see, for the time I've had a glass-topped stove (about a dozen years), most of the pans I've used have had some sort of coating on the bottom. Either it's been an enamel paint coating or, in the case of my current cookware, more non-stick. THIS new pan? It's not only bare stainless steel, but it has a pattern in the surface. Unlike any other pan I own (including a smooth-bottomed SS saute pan, and a good number of Wagner and Lodge cast iron skillets), this All-Clad leaves metal marks on the glass. Not scratches, more like skid marks, no matter how little I might move the pan while it's on the stove.

I've scrubbed (and scrubbed) to get them off using Barkeeper's Friend, but it takes two or three fresh applications to completely remove them. This last time I scrubbed with Barkeeper's once, then wiped down with Weiman's cook top spray a couple of times to make it "all gone". This annoys me so much that I'm not using my pan as often as I want! :(

OK, I'm not sure I'm looking for suggestions or just venting. :LOL: But if anyone has a suggestion as to altering the bottom of the pan (a bit of fine steel wool or sandpaper to the edges of the cut-in design?) or an easier way to remove those marks on the glass? I'm all ears. Thanks.

Not sure if I should be calling this a beauty...or a beast. You see, for the time I've had a glass-topped stove (about a dozen years), most of the pans I've used have had some sort of coating on the bottom. Either it's been an enamel paint coating or, in the case of my current cookware, more non-stick. THIS new pan? It's not only bare stainless steel, but it has a pattern in the surface. Unlike any other pan I own (including a smooth-bottomed SS saute pan, and a good number of Wagner and Lodge cast iron skillets), this All-Clad leaves metal marks on the glass. Not scratches, more like skid marks, no matter how little I might move the pan while it's on the stove.

I've scrubbed (and scrubbed) to get them off using Barkeeper's Friend, but it takes two or three fresh applications to completely remove them. This last time I scrubbed with Barkeeper's once, then wiped down with Weiman's cook top spray a couple of times to make it "all gone". This annoys me so much that I'm not using my pan as often as I want! :(

OK, I'm not sure I'm looking for suggestions or just venting. :LOL: But if anyone has a suggestion as to altering the bottom of the pan (a bit of fine steel wool or sandpaper to the edges of the cut-in design?) or an easier way to remove those marks on the glass? I'm all ears. Thanks.

Sandpaper has it own faults. Pirate burnt the bottom of a SS pan the same size as yours. Only sandpaper would or could remove the burnt on food. Yet it left no scratch marks. Used on another pan, scratch marks everywhere the sandpaper touched. Go figure!

Try some silicon carbide sandpaper - the wet sand black stuff. The finer grades, starting at 320 grit, won't leave deep scratches, and removes that burned on grease, sanding inder running water; you just move to the next finer grade, to get those fine scratches out. 600 grit will leave a satin finish.

Last edited:
...Pirate burnt the bottom of a SS pan the same size as yours. Only sandpaper would or could remove the burnt on food...
I don't have a problem with burnt food on the pan bottom. My problem is that the bottom of the pan is leaving metal marks on my glass top stove.

Try some silicon carbide sandpaper - the wet sand black stuff. The finer grades, starting at 320 grit, won't leave deep scratches, and removes that burned on grease, sanding inder running water; you just move to the next finer grade, to get those fine scratches out. 600 grit will leave a satin finish.
That might work, pepper. I need to check with Himself to see if he has any of that kind of sandpaper. If not, I see a pilgrimage to Lowe's soon. I've now relegated the All-Clad pan to its box for now. The last time I used it it left a small scratch on the glass! :glare:

To give you an idea of of the pan bottom, here are a couple photos. I think most of my problems come from the edge of the pan bottom. That's the second photo; I hope you can make it out.
IMG_20190506_193141826_HDR.jpgIMG_20190506_193249414_HDR.jpg

That might work, pepper. I need to check with Himself to see if he has any of that kind of sandpaper. If not, I see a pilgrimage to Lowe's soon. I've now relegated the All-Clad pan to its box for now. The last time I used it it left a small scratch on the glass! :glare:

To give you an idea of of the pan bottom, here are a couple photos. I think most of my problems come from the edge of the pan bottom. That's the second photo; I hope you can make it out.
View attachment 34731View attachment 34733

You're talking about sanding the underside of the pan so it won't scratch the stove, right?

Exactly, Andy. Trying to not ruin my pan while saving my stove top from damage.

Is your cooktop glass or ceramic? Mine is ceramic. It looks like glass, but is very hard to damage. When I have blemishes from boil-overs and such, I use my car polisher and Meguair's #7 car polish on it. Sounds weird, but it works.

There are polishes made specifically for ceramic cooktops, but they look and feel just like the car polish.

CD

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is your cooktop glass or ceramic? Mine is ceramic. It looks like glass, but is very hard to damage. When I have blemishes from boil-overs and such, I use my car polisher and Meguair's #7 car polish on it. Sounds weird, but it works.

There are polishes made specifically for ceramic cooktops, but they look and feel just like the car polish.

CD
I'm not looking to polish my cooktop cd (it's probably whatever the cheaper one is - I'm too tired to dig through the owner's manuals to find out exactly which right now), I'm looking to make the bottom surface of the pan smooth enough so that it doesn't scratch the surface. Himself said that pepperhead has the right idea with using silicon carbide sandpaper on the frypan bottom. Now all I have to do is remember to pick some up when I'm near the local hardware or automotive store, or take my butt across the street to Lowe's when I do an Aldi run. Remembering is so hard! :wacko: :LOL:

I'm not looking to polish my cooktop cd (it's probably whatever the cheaper one is - I'm too tired to dig through the owner's manuals to find out exactly which right now), I'm looking to make the bottom surface of the pan smooth enough so that it doesn't scratch the surface. Himself said that pepperhead has the right idea with using silicon carbide sandpaper on the frypan bottom. Now all I have to do is remember to pick some up when I'm near the local hardware or automotive store, or take my butt across the street to Lowe's when I do an Aldi run. Remembering is so hard! :wacko: :LOL:

Do you use the "Our Groceries" app for your shopping lists? If you do, add the sand paper to the grocery list, so you see it while you are at Aldi.

Nope, don't use any grocery list app. When it comes to shopping, I'm pretty old-school: circle things in the newspaper ad, adding in other items I need to buy; back-of-the-envelope list for other stops/items along my route; etc. Actually, taxy, it's more a case of wanting to go home after I shop at Aldi. :LOL: I know they have small stores, but by the time I drive down there (about 17ish miles), shop, bag, and get back in the car, I just don't want to bother wandering all around Lowe's. And even if I knew exactly where that sandpaper was, I'd still wander around Lowe's. :LOL: Love that store!

Back
Top Bottom