Kitchen Canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess we can't be of any help to you, then. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Apparently it wasn't clear from my "Seriously, though..." that the first comment was a joke. I mean, yes, I got conflicting opinions, but I definitely expected that. If I thought everyone would say the same thing, it wouldn't have been much help to ask the question, right?

Apparently it wasn't clear from my "Seriously, though..." that the first comment was a joke. I mean, yes, I got conflicting opinions, but I definitely expected that. If I thought everyone would say the same thing, it wouldn't have been much help to ask the question, right?
You would be surprised at how many people have showed up here over the years asking questions and expecting to get a simple, single answer.

You would be surprised at how many people have showed up here over the years asking questions and expecting to get a simple, single answer.

I wish I could be surprised by such things. But then, I see the rest of the internet. :ohmy:

May I never be the person who tries to find absolute truth via strangers on the interwebz. ;)

I've never had canisters of any kind in any of my kitchens. Just not the way I roll. Several of my kitchens were what could be categorized at "one butt" kitchens. In other words, small. There was barely room for basic essentials let alone canisters.

During my period as a scrimping and saving single mother, my canisters (such as they were) were large metal coffee cans covered with Contact paper. Never had anything go bad in those homemade containers.

Over the years, I've accumulated a variety of ultra-large Tupperware vessels and really, really big canning jars. These have held me in good stead for many years. I've been cooking for 60 years so I've had ample opportunities to accrue storage goodies of all shape and size. As a result, my pantry is quite eclectic.

Even though it is only the two of us, I still buy flour in 25-pound bags because I make all of our bread products and a bag that size doesn't last long. I probably use 4 or more bags a year. Never had any spoil, get bugs or go bad in any way.

My current kitchen is wonderful but still not really set up right to use canisters to take up counter space. Besides that, there is a huge pantry that more than accommodates all our food needs.

Whatever you choose, enjoy them. If you don't purchase the ones that evoke memories of your grandmother, pick some that you can make memories with with your own grandchildren...when you have some.

CubsGal, have you looked for canisters on Etsy? And what price range were you looking at?

When I was in the market to buy canisters, let me tell you, I looked at every single canister offered for sale on Craig's List, Etsy, and eBay for months. I also checked Amazon, but that wasn't a good experience (story for another time).

Anyway, I let the one beautiful set of three get away from me on Etsy, but then got a set of 4 from eBay. I got these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jar-Caniste...601364?hash=item3d411fb254:g:biIAAOSwuq9ZZn9I

(no, I didn't pay that much for them, but I did spend some serious money on them all) and then I got a matching set of 3 more the same size as the smallest blue one. So now I have 7 all together.

I think eventually I'll sell these seven as a set when I move and the next time, I won't be in such a hurry to match canisters when I buy some more.

These do have the plastic seal around the covers and I don't have the problem of the covers popping up like some people have said. I also keep my brown sugar in one of these canisters and it's never gone hard. The only thing I don't like about them is that the largest jar only holds 4lbs of flour, so until I use some, I end up with flour still in the bag after the canister is filled. Of course, I expect flour to be reduced to a 4lb bag one day like they did with sugar, so there's that.

I was like you - I wanted something decorative but with seals. That let out all the older canisters I saw. These were my second choice (they're called Spice of Life) and they come in a variety of sizes plus you can buy new rubber seals for them from the hardware store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-Vi...Vegetables-Bale-Wire-Seal-France/232412601056

I just decided I didn't want to lift a metal clasp every time I wanted something out of a canister.

Anyway, keep looking and let us know what you end up buying!

Last edited:
CubsGal, have you looked for canisters on Etsy? And what price range were you looking at?

When I was in the market to buy canisters, let me tell you, I looked at every single canister offered for sale on Craig's List, Etsy, and eBay for months. I also checked Amazon, but that wasn't a good experience (story for another time).

These do have the plastic seal around the covers and I don't have the problem of the covers popping up like some people have said. I also keep my brown sugar in one of these canisters and it's never gone hard. The only thing I don't like about them is that the largest jar only holds 4lbs of flour, so until I use some, I end up with flour still in the bag after the canister is filled. Of course, I expect flour to be reduced to a 4lb bag one day like they did with sugar, so there's that.

I was like you - I wanted something decorative but with seals. That let out all the older canisters I saw.

I just decided I didn't want to lift a metal clasp every time I wanted something out of a canister.

Anyway, keep looking and let us know what you end up buying!

I have spent WAY too much time searching on Etsy and Ebay for canisters. The only ones I've seen that I wanted are the ones that looked like my grandmothers and didn't seal.

And one of the main reasons for that is the size. I will not buy canisters that won't fit an entire bag of flour. It's all or nothing. I am leaning towards a plain glass jar set. I figure if I can't get the decorative ones I like, then I'll just go with plain ones that will never go out of style. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the idea of flipping a clasp every time I want to open a canister; but I'm thinking that's going to be my option in the end.

I have spent WAY too much time searching on Etsy and Ebay for canisters. The only ones I've seen that I wanted are the ones that looked like my grandmothers and didn't seal.

And one of the main reasons for that is the size. I will not buy canisters that won't fit an entire bag of flour. It's all or nothing. I am leaning towards a plain glass jar set. I figure if I can't get the decorative ones I like, then I'll just go with plain ones that will never go out of style. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the idea of flipping a clasp every time I want to open a canister; but I'm thinking that's going to be my option in the end.

That person wants $53.00 for shipping on a $48.00 item. Ridiculous!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the idea of flipping a clasp every time I want to open a canister; but I'm thinking that's going to be my option in the end.

Mine don't have a clasp. They have a rubber seal around the lid that creates an airtight closure.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-prevent-grain-weevils

and many other articles on line are quite helpful and explain in lay man´s terms how to handle.

It does suggest that one freeze all grains for at least 48 hours ( including flour, rice, pasta, etcetra .. ) before using ..

They are not harmful to humans or animals ..

Cannisters: I store my rices, sea salt, Himalayan rose salt, Brown sugar, tempura flour, whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, and dry pastas in " heavy Mason type glass jars which are actually vintage glass " ..

I have a storage pantry which is quite cold year round and thus this is where I keep the jars .. I have never had any problems in my pantry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom