"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

just something to consider, craigsy, is the mobility function of the cart.

if you mainly want it steady in one place, but it has casters, ypu'll need to chock them firmly so that the cart is stable, maybe against a wall.

my wife has a cart with a microwave on top in her kitchen that every time you press a button on the nuker, the cart and nuker moves so it's like trying to poke a movng target.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Is yours made from hardwood or particle board? That is the style I've been looking at, but about twice as wide with a 3/4" thick granite top. Everyone I'm looking at requires assembly.
Particle board back, drawer bottom and cabinet bottom. All else is solid. The side panels are'nt especially thick, but are edged with 1" boards. There is only one non adjustable shelf in the cabinet, giving two 12" high spaces.

Here is a link. Scroll down for specifications.

Mainstays Kitchen Island Wooden Storage Cart - Walmart.com

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Have you looked at restaurant surplus stores or on Kijiji for the same? Or considered repurposing a small side/library table (yard sales, thrift stores, craigslist, Kijiji), adding the casters, and picking up a piece of granite that is a cut off? I heightened the table I bought (it is solid oak), opted not to put coasters on it at this time, and picked up a piece of marble at an auction (18" x 30"). The stilts are being made, to conceal the joint, they will be wrapped with bands of stainless (and, this way, if I want to repurpose it as a side table, I can). The plan is to replace the 3" of wood that are currently supporting it with with oak "stilts" to bring the table up high enough so I can keep the rolly-bins under it. The table was $20, the marble $20 plus a bunch of other pieces of marble that were in the lot at the auction, and the rolly-bins were on sale for under $10 each. The table is 20" x 48". I have to go downstairs and get the other set of wheels for the one rolly-bin. I am in the process of deciding what to keep in the drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baking_station 001.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	13844   Click image for larger version

Name:	baking_station 002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	13845  

Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Dad made mine for $50 out of a pine frame and a lovely piece of thick hardwood for the top. He put castors on one end and rubber stoppers on the other so I don't have to lock wheels and to move it I just lift the rubber stopper end and roll it around. I love that I can chop and prepare in this in my small kitchen, I store things in it, I'm going to screw on a towel rail and a magnetic knife block and utility tray. I wheel the block to the cooker or around the kitchen as required. I love it. I would find a marble top annoying as I wouldn't chop on it. I give mine a daily hot soapy scrub and I weekly deep clean and oil with olive oil and it stays safe. I don't cut raw meat, fish it chicken on it directly tho.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnosis changes lives
dad made mine for $50 out of a pine frame and a lovely piece of thick hardwood for the top. He put castors on one end and rubber stoppers on the other so i don't have to lock wheels and to move it i just lift the rubber stopper end and roll it around. I love that i can chop and prepare in this in my small kitchen, i store things in it, i'm going to screw on a towel rail and a magnetic knife block and utility tray. I wheel the block to the cooker or around the kitchen as required. I love it. I would find a marble top annoying as i wouldn't chop on it. I give mine a daily hot soapy scrub and i weekly deep clean and oil with olive oil and it stays safe. I don't cut raw meat, fish it chicken on it directly tho.

Name:	image-272867758.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	13848

Name:	image-272867758.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	13848
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2169671563.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	13849  
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis Changes Lives View Post
Dad made mine for $50 out of a pine frame and a lovely piece of thick hardwood for the top. He put castors on one end and rubber stoppers on the other so I don't have to lock wheels and to move it I just lift the rubber stopper end and roll it around. I love that I can chop and prepare in this in my small kitchen, I store things in it, I'm going to screw on a towel rail and a magnetic knife block and utility tray. I wheel the block to the cooker or around the kitchen as required. I love it. I would find a marble top annoying as I wouldn't chop on it. I give mine a daily hot soapy scrub and I weekly deep clean and oil with olive oil and it stays safe. I don't cut raw meat, fish it chicken on it directly tho.
I have a chopping board that fits over my sink, so do most of my veggie prep there; meat/fish/poultry I do on a board that I put on top of the portable dishwasher. I also have a spot where I can park the marble (on top of the sideboard/buffet) if I want to use that table for a buffet or something. For now, however, because I'm still settling in, the marble is sitting on the table. It is for pastry--I debated having it "cut into" the Ash butcherblock counter that I had made, and decided not to have that done because if I sell the house at some point, I might want to take the marble with me and didn't think a gapping hole would appeal to a prospective buyer!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I have a small kitchen cart that I use for my mixer, an N50.
I have seen simular carts at the Sam's club, though I think they were longer. Do not remember the price, but though, at the time, that it was not bad.

A separate question to Gadzooks, what kind of mixer is it, what does N50 stands for?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Sous Chef

It is a Hobart N50, the replacement for the old Hobart Kitchen Aid G Model. When Hobart sold their Kitchen Aid line, they kept the G Model, and with a very few modifications, rechristened it the N50. 5 qt, 3 speed planetary transmission. I could probably mix stucco all day in it. I do not know how or why "N50" was chosen. It seems to be a very good mixer. I have no complaints about it.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
Master Chef

Thanks, looks really tough, that is why I asked.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Thanks folks, but I was hoping someone had ideas about the cart(s) I described in my OP.

Tags
kitchen