Kitchen Gadget Guessing Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth

Cook
My fiancé's mother threw a "get to know my daughter in law to be" tea party for me yesterday. (It was kinda like a bridal shower, but only for her friends and was additional to the lovely and fabulous cosmopolitan bridal shower that my bridesmaids threw for me!) I had a wonderful time and she really did an amazing job. If you'd like, you can see some pictures of the table setting and food she served here:
http://tinypic.com/4tkb55
http://tinypic.com/4tkb9z
http://tinypic.com/4tkbci
http://tinypic.com/4tkbhc
http://tinypic.com/4tkboi
http://tinypic.com/4tkbuw
http://tinypic.com/4tkc1x

My future mother in law send out two recipes card with the shower invitations and had all of her friends bring their two favorite recipes which she gathered in a lovely cookbook for me. I was such a great idea and I was really floored by the gesture and all the incredible recipes I received! She also gave me a small, really old and tattered notebook that was a cookbook her mother wrote when she was young for a school project. There is no date on it, but we know it must be at least 60 years old! I can't wait to flip through it and see all the interesting recipes it holds.

Anyway, where I'm getting at with all this is that she also had a few shower games at this tea party get-together. One of them I'd like to share with all of you. She bought a whole bunch of kitchen gadgets and passed them around and we all had to guess what they were, the one with the most right won. I didn't win and got 5 wrong myself but it was such a blast (especially the hilarious answer my clueless but loveable fiancé was making up!) that I figured I should share the fun with you. The best part... I got to keep all the gadgets! :w00t2:

Here are the items. I didn't think to put a ruler next to them for scale when I took the pictures but they all fit on a regular sheet of paper (except the 2nd to last one). Just consider the lack of scale as an added challenge.

See how many you can guess. (And no fair peeking ahead to other people's answers before posting! :-p ):

1. (Notes: The curved end is slightly serrated)
4tk8j6

4tk8yx

4tk8zq

4. (Notes: If you look closely you'll see that the straight knife end has two blades)
4tk93b

4tk946

4tk95t

*** It won't let me add too many pictures in one post, so items 7-20 will follow below. ***

Last edited:
:mad: None of my links will work! It seem the censor filters are a bit too over zealous and won't let my sight through. :angry:

All the links should be at throop.wit wat.net but get rid of the space in the middle.

If any mods can fix the links (turn off the bad word filters for this post or something like that) so that the pictures will show in the post, I would really really appreciate it.

LOL, they are censoring t w a t. Is there anyway you can change the name? I have most of those. Except #2 I think it's like a avacado slicer or something.

I realized what they were censoring, I just didn't want to spell it out. :blush:

My objection is not to what they were blocking but that the censors are so thorough that they get part of a word... If tried to write salt water without the space it would come out like sal****er! This is bit too much if you ask me... :wacko:

Anyway, quite impressive that own most of of them! :clap: You must have a huge kitchen... I'm still trying to figure out where to put them all!

Oh, and no, sadly :( there isn't anyway that I can change the domain name. If someone can show me another place where I can post them (and not have to register, sign up or pay for anything) I would appreciate it and would be able to change the urls so that it would work.

Last edited:
You could put them on photobucket. Well I've been with my hubby almost 30 years, you pick up stuff! #1 is something I use all the time!:mrgreen:

I went to photobucket and almost immediately turned away because they wanted you to sign up and give out your email, etc. I already get so much spam that I'm VERY wary about registering for free sites anymore. But then I saw a link to TinyPic.com and that was perfect! Exactly what I was looking for! I'll go and post all the pics there and edit the above to fix the urls.

Thanks so much for letting me know about that site!

7-14

7. (Note: The purple part is a flexible silicone material)
4tk974

4tk9a8

4tk9b5

4tk9bo

4tk9c3

12. (Notes: Sorry this picture is cropped but I wanted to be sure to get the detail on the end. The cropped end is just a handle.)
4tk9d4

4tkao3

4tkaol

What a cool future MIL you have!!!

OK here are my guesses for your game.

1. Grapefruit segmenter (no idea if this is a real word LOL)
2. Avocado Slicer
3. Vegetable peeler (I must be missing something on this one)
4. Shrimp devainer possibly? or maybe so sort of herb knife. No I think I will stick with shrimp devainer.
5. Some sort of pitter
6. wonton crimper

OK I don't feel very confident about most of these. I can't wait to find out the real answers.

7. Ice Cream Scoop?
8. honey dipper
9. juicer (for oranges or grapefruits)
10. meatball maker
11. I am clueless on this one. My first guess was some sort of grabber, like for toast or something, but I know this is not right.
12. lettuce knife
13. mandolin
14. zester

15a and b. Tongs
16. No idea, but it looks interesting
17. Bottle opener
18. something to do with eggs?
19. cake tester?
20. cookie cutter.

1) citrus peeler/segmenter

2) ?

3) a thingy that juliennes veggies(can't think of the name)

4) ?

5) cherry pitter

6) ?

7)Ice cream scoop(my mom has one that is orange in the center of the scoop)

8) Honey dipper

9) citrus juicer

10) meat baller

11) strawberry huller

13) mandolin

14) zester

15-19) ?

20) cookie or biscuit cutter

Ruth said:
Ah, but what KIND of tongs? :mrgreen:

I want to say they are used to pick up ice for filling glasses.

For 16, the only thing I can come up with is tongs for serving fruit from a fruit tray. I say fruit because of the pineapple design on the end.

I have a guess for 4 also, is it maybe some sort of oyster shucker?

Ruth said:
Ah, but what KIND of tongs? :mrgreen:
I am stumped. I don't think it is for ice since the edges have serrations, but I can't think of anything else. Not even sure what serrations would do on tongs.

1.citrus peeler
3.vegetable decorating tool
5.cherry/olive pitter
6.ravioli maker
8.honey dipper
9.citrus juicer
10.meatball maker
11.strawberry huller
13.mandolin
14.oxo zester
15.tongs
16.asparagus tongs
18.egg poacher
20.fancy pancake form

Here's my version:

1. Citrus peeler
  2. avocado slicer
  3. vegetable peeler that scores the veggie
  4. Citrus sectioning tool
  5. cherry pitter
  6. Ravioli press
  7. Ice cream scoop
  8. Honey dipper
  9. citrus juicer
  10. meatball maker
  11. strawberry hulling tool
  12. shrimp deveining tool
  13. Spaetzle maker
  14. zester
  15. I don't know what kind of tongs
  16. Asparagus tongs
  17. Bottle opener
  18. Egg poaching tray
  19. ?
  20. individual Egg Poaching shaper.

Ok, here's my answers. I know I probably got some wrong.

#1 Orange peeler
#2 Heck if I know (and I’m a cook!). Maybe an onion slicer?
#3 Y-peeler. Normally used for peeling apples, pears, etc. I notice this one has a serrated blade and a smooth blade. Maybe one side peels, and the other side juliennes, like julienned zucchini and yellow squash skins?
#4 Shrimp Deveiner.
#5 Cherry/Olive pitter
#6 Ravioli crimper
#7 Measuring spoon of some kind, maybe for spices in a small glass bottle?
#8 Can’t think of what it’s called, but you use it to get honey out of a jar.
#9 Apple corer?
#10 Meatball shaper?
#11 Coffee filter separator.
#12 Another shrimp deveiner.
#13 Mandolin
#14 Zester.

Edited to add:
#15a and b - miniature tongs of some kind. They have teeth. Maybe to get pickles out of a jar?
#16 Tongs for asparagus?
#17 Took me a minute to figure this one out. It’s upside-down, but it’s a bottle opener, for beer, etc.
#18 That’s either a spoon rest or an egg poacher. I’ve seen both products with the same basic shape.
#19 Something to tamp or crimp pastry for a pie shell?
#20 This is a mold to cook eggs, in a heart-shape. The end with the wooden knob is the handle. You heat your pan, place the mold in the pan, brush some butter into it, and add your egg, whole or scrambled. When it’s done, lift up on the handle, then use a spatula to remove the egg to either a biscuit, small croissant, or directly to a plate.

Last edited:
This was fun.......

1 shrimp de-veiner
2 ?
3 harp style veggie peeler
4 another shrimp tool
5 olive/cherry pitter
6 ravioli tool
7 ice cream scoop
8 honey dipper
9 ?
10 ?