"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Wood seems to have worked well for a long time at butcher shops.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Wood seems to have worked well for a long time at butcher shops.
Yet you will never find wood in any restaurant.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I've been in a few New York State restaurant kitchens (admittedly some 20 years ago) that were so equipped.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I believe (but could be mistaken) that these days it is against health code for restaurants to use wood boards because they can not go in the dishwasher.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Plastic cutting boards harbor bacteria in the cuts that develop with use, where it's very difficult to completely get rid of the bacteria: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

Wooden cutting boards actually kill the bacteria by essentially drying them out - the dry interior of the wood absorbs any moisture on the surface and the bacteria can't survive without moisture.

The scientific conclusion:
I am now more confused - see the below link which says the
exact opposit - plastic boards are non porus and will not
harbor bacteria. I use plastic and hard rubber boards exclusively.

Cutting Boards - wood or plastic?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
exact opposit -
That is exactly why I said that for every study that says wood is better than plastic there is another that says plastic is better than wood.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Everymom

Mike, just use and maintain whatever you have in the proper fashion and all will be well.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
exact opposit - plastic boards are non porus and will not
harbor bacteria. I use plastic and hard rubber boards exclusively.

Cutting Boards - wood or plastic?
I don't know if you read the link I sent, but here is a significant paragraph:
Quote:
Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. Our safety concern was that bacteria such as Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella, which might contaminate a work surface when raw meat was being prepared, ought not remain on the surface to contaminate other foods that might be eaten without further cooking. We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.
The problem is that once a plastic cutting board becomes scarred from use, bacteria get into the scars, away from the surface, and so cannot be disinfected.

From your link:
Quote:
Plastic cutting boards are dishwasher safe. Having said that, most home dishwashers only reach temperatures of between 120-140F. Water must be much hotter than that—about 190F for several seconds to make sure items are properly sanitized.
So putting a plastic cutting board in the dishwasher *does not* sanitize it. In fact, 40*-140* F is the "danger zone," where bacteria multiply rapidly. I have a few plastic boards that have ended up in my kitchen over the years, but I only use them for cheese, bread, fruits and veggies.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I guess one other thing I don't understand, wouldn't a

plastic cutting board dry and then not provide a friendly environment for bacteria. Where I live the wood in my house swells and contracts depending on the humidity. I would expect the humidity in the air to have the same effect of a wooden cutting board. Just try to open a window in an old house when it is hot and raining and you will see what I am talking about.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Neither is a perfect option, but both are excellent choices is used and maintained properly.
Thanks GB, ever the diplomat, just as I was wondering whether jenniferlee was just winding us up.

As for microwaves being unhealthy, as far as I understand, lots of families now use them to sterilise baby's bottles. If used properly, I can't see why they should be unhealthy.

Tags
cooking tools, kitchen gadget