"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to jenniferlee
Unhappy Kitchen gadgets don't belong in any kitchen

For your information,
as far as I am concerned, Microwaves, non-stick cookware, plastic spatulas & cutting boards do not belong in a healthy kitchen. In fact, they don't belong in any kitchen, especially if you say that your kitchen is healthy kitchen -part of healthy living. These products were produced to make your life convenient. They are unhealthy, which to me.

Regards,
Jennifer Lee

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I disagree. Every kitchen needs to be functional for whoever is cooking, and if the cook in the house also has two jobs to look after then all those kitchen gadgets make there life easier. No matter what gadget you are using or how much plastic its much healthier to cook in your own gadget friendly kitchen then grab some takeout. Besides everytime I get a new gadget I have a new toy to play with! Non stick cookware is not dangerous either unless teflon burns or you are using metal. And plastic burn proof spatulas are my best friend! As for plastic cutting boards, its actually a proven fact that an oak (for example) cutting board or any sort of wood for that matter holds more bacteria and they are banned in restaurant kitchens across canada thanks to the health board. So you can have plastic and be perfectly healthy!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I only use a plastic cutting board for meat. Then I just

put it in the dishwasher on the extra hot or sanitize cycle. Nice and clean. And my new favorite gadget is the silicone basting brush. Very very easy to clean, no problem with cleaning where the bristles are attached either, can even put it in the dishwasher. While I don't use my microwave for cooking it comes in real handy when I am making a pudding or custard. I put a small amount of milk in the pan on the stove with the sugar and other ingredients, then I put the majority of the milk in the microwave to heat. Makes the whole custard making faster and less likely to lump or scorch.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Cook

Something or other is bound to get us all. Too much coffee, too much sex, too much chocolate, too many cigars, too much booze. So we cut it all out and get hit by a bus as we cross the street. The plastics industry (except maybe in that large Asian country) works diligently to make safe products for us to use. Life is too short to worry about a millimicrogram of some multi poly di benzo molecule. Personally I want to go like grandpa, quietly in his sleeep and not yelling and screaming like the other three people in the car he was driving. It's a beautiful day today get outside and plant something.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlee View Post
For your information,
as far as I am concerned, Microwaves, non-stick cookware, plastic spatulas & cutting boards do not belong in a healthy kitchen. In fact, they don't belong in any kitchen, especially if you say that your kitchen is healthy kitchen -part of healthy living. These products were produced to make your life convenient. They are unhealthy, which to me.

Regards,
Jennifer Lee
Do you have any evidence to back up these beliefs? Microwaving fish and veggies has actually been proven to be more healthful because the steaming maintains vitamin and mineral content better than other cooking methods. Non-stick cookware is find as long as it's used properly and I don't see any problem with plastic spatulas.

I do agree that wood cutting boards are safer than plastic - the gouges that a knife makes in the plastic make it difficult to clean properly, and studies have shown that wood actually essentially self-disinfects. The dry interior of the wood absorbs moisture from the surface that kills any nasties, since they need moisture to survive.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I have certainly done my research on these issues and am completely comfortable with using high quality, heat resistant, plastic products in my kitchen. And following standard guidelines when using a microwave oven in good condition causes me no concern. I do appreciate and share your concerns regarding healthful eating.

I feel what is of more importance is what foods we are putting in our bodies. There is a direct link between our health and the foods we choose to eat.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlee View Post
For your information,

Regards,
Jennifer Lee
I can't see what is wrong with plastic cutting boards - they are
easy to clean and disinfect and don't dull the knives badly.

I use a microwave to cook a lot of green vegetables like
green beans, spinach and even pre-cook carrots and potatoes and
turnips in it to reduce overall cooking time.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
I can't see what is wrong with plastic cutting boards - they are easy to clean and disinfect and don't dull the knives badly.

I use a microwave to cook a lot of green vegetables like
green beans, spinach and even pre-cook carrots and potatoes and
turnips in it to reduce overall cooking time.
Plastic cutting boards harbor bacteria in the cuts that develop with use, where it's very difficult to completely get rid of the bacteria: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

Wooden cutting boards actually kill the bacteria by essentially drying them out - the dry interior of the wood absorbs any moisture on the surface and the bacteria can't survive without moisture.

The scientific conclusion:
Quote:
We know of no similar research that has been done anywhere, so we regard it as the best epidemiological evidence available to date that wooden cutting boards are not a hazard to human health, but plastic cutting boards may be.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I have my doubts about using plastic boards when cutting hot foods.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Plastic cutting boards harbor bacteria in the cuts that develop with use, where it's very difficult to completely get rid of the bacteria: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

Wooden cutting boards actually kill the bacteria by essentially drying them out - the dry interior of the wood absorbs any moisture on the surface and the bacteria can't survive without moisture.

The scientific conclusion:
For as many studies that say that wood is better than plastic when it comes to cutting boards there are just as many that say the opposite.

The consensus from most people is that both are great materials to use and each has their sets of positives and negatives. Neither is a perfect option, but both are excellent choices is used and maintained properly.

Closed Thread

Tags
cooking tools, kitchen gadget