"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Master Chef

Kitchen Mats

I asked around here about these and got much info, and still managed to buy one set that was (a) not the color pictured in the catalog) and (be had a fabric-like surface. Returned them. (I think the brand was Gel-matts or something like then). Then I decided to go for cute and got the ones from W-S that were provencal in print. Had them for a year or so, but the (same thing I feared from the former, the fabric-like top layer separated from the foam interior after a couple of cleanings. So when we had the kitchen walls re-done, and I broke my hip, I just went with I think they're called wellness matts, and bought them as close to the color of my 100 year old floors as possible.

They are not pretty, but I'm here to tell you, if you have one leg longer than the other and like to cook, this is the answer. The result of my surgery is that one leg is 1/2 inch longer than the other (yes, a tall gal to begin with and my friends are teasing me about being yet taller), and this mat really, really helps. My husband loves them as well. Not pretty, but who gives a poop if I can stand upright without listing to the side when I'm doing a long cooking thing. Pay the bucks and take the hit for the good stuff.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You need a step box! I made one out of 4-12 inch long 2 x 4's. Nailed together to make a 6 x 6 inch 12 inch box to rest one foot on while standing, alternating feet if the job is long. I use mine for when I'm standing and charting at a wall kiosk at work. It helps with the strain of standing.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You need a step box! I made one out of 4-12 inch long 2 x 4's. Nailed together to make a 6 x 6 inch 12 inch box to rest one foot on while standing, alternating feet if the job is long. I use mine for when I'm standing and charting at a wall kiosk at work. It helps with the strain of standing.
I just open my lower cabinet door and rest my foot on the ledge/shelf inside. Works for me and I don't have to move anything or find a place to put something.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That would work at home, if you have cupboards under your work space. Mine has drawers and it's too high. The step box is for work when I'm standing in one spot too long.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Master Chef

Oh, I have a rubbermaid (I think) little step that I used to use to rest one leg when sciatica or lower back pain hit. But this left me standing on one leg. It worked. But the half-inch leg length difference is a totally different problem and these mats don't require me to move the step around or stand on one foot while resting the other. I'm trying to learn to stand up straight rather than listing to one side, and not limp and these mats really help a lot.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

At work I have a shelf just at the right height to prop up a leg. I hadn't realized it, but often when standing in one place to do a task, I will prop up a leg, it helps keep my back from getting sore.

I've been referred to as Captain Morgan the cake decorator......

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen