Kitchen scales advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plitz

Assistant Cook
Hello first post here,glad to be here !!
I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a digital kitchen scale.The scale I have in mind is the OXO good grips,I have read many good reviews and am confident in this product choice.
The part I'm having trouble is with the model,I have a choice between a 11-pound capacity scale for $50 or a 5 -pound capacity for $30. I mainly want one of thees for weighing flour when making bread and for being able to evenly split my dough halves.I'm sure that I find some other uses along the way but this is my main reason for purchasing one now.
I would like to buy the #5 scale and save a few dollars but don't want to be disappointed in the end ? And spend the other $20 on a cook book or something. I don't think that I'd ever measure over #5,but I had read a review where some said "the #11 is nice for when you use a heavy bowl" This threw me off a bit as I never owned one and was under the imprecision I could set a glass bowl on there and then just tare out the weight of the bowl?And everything would be fine if I never went over #5's of ingredients?
So my question is #11 VS #5,and will I be fine with a #5 as long as my ingredients never surpass #5's? Thx :chef:

I suggest you get the 5# scale. I bake bread a lot (weekly, and I've never had an occasion for that or any other cooking to need more than 5# on a scale. Anything weighing greater than that already has the weight on the tag or package (chickens, turkeys, roasts, etc.)

Unless you're opening a commercial bakery, 5# is fine.

Welcome to the site. You will do just fine with the 5 lb one. Like you said, when you use a bowl you tare anyway so it does not matter how much the bowl weighs.

I have the 5# one. I wish I had the bigger one. Usually it is fine, when it isn't, well.. it isn't.

is #5 the total capacity including the tare ?
Meaning... If I put a 4 lb bowl on it and then hit tare, would I only be able to put #1 of ingredients in it?

I have a 5 kg model (11 lbs) - it displays to the nearest 5 grams - that is, it goes from 230 g to 235 g - I can't "measure" 232 g. which hasn't been an issue in the last hundred years or so for my purposes.

keep in mind, the tare weight of the bowl counts in the "total" - if you're using a 2 lbs glass bowl and want to weigh in 4 lbs of flour, a 5 lb model will go out of range.

folks who are really picky and want to weigh in 3.6 grams of yeast, or seasonings, etc., often have a smaller scale with higher accuracy.

I'd recommend the 5 kg model.

Hmm dcSaute and I gave different advice on the Tare. I am basing my info on a different brand so unless dcSaute knows for sure then you might want to find the owners manual online for the one you are looking at.

My scale is the 11-pound size and it's just perfect. I make all our bread products here and also use the scale for almost all of my other everyday cooking. I especially like using it to divide large portions of meats I get on sale. It's just the two of us here, so I do a lot of portioning. Plus, most of my larger bowls are heavy earthenware ones and they weigh quite a bit on their own. My scale, too, includes the weight of the bowl when I calculate weights using the tare feature.

Mine came with a plastic tray/bucket for use with dry measures. If anyone needs more than 5#, can you say, "measure twice?"

It's not as if these are the middle ages and you're slapping down a 6# roast or a whole goose in front of each guest! :ROFLMAO:

Both of my kitchen scales have been Salter. I just bought this one after its predecessor of 16 years gave up the ghost. I love it and I was amazed how "helpless" I became the few days I was without a scale.

The newer model of my old scale is easier to read and easier to clean and, for you, it's the 11-pound model and is in the middle of your price range. Just food for thought. After all, this IS a food/cooking site.:LOL:

Absolutely. I forgot about that. How could I? I'm right in the middle of canning/freezing season. Must've had a brain hiccup.:rolleyes:

I can't manage with just a fiddly little thing. Sometimes I make jams and preserves with even more that 11 pounds of fruit when I get it on sale in season. Guess the little ones are fine for people that only make small quantities but if I'm going to go to the trouble of preserving something I make a large batch that will last for months!

I'm of the opinion that an 11-pound capacity refers to how much weight you put on the scale platform. The scale doesn't know if it's a bowl or several different ingredients. If you zero out the display, the weight is still there.

There are several other companies that make quality scales, including Salter and Polder. I would check into them before making a decision.

Look here as a start:

Salter Digital Kitchen Scales - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review

I was mistaken. I just tested mine and like everyone else has said, it is the total weight. Mine goes to 11 (I couldn't resist).

I have this one and I love it.

I was mistaken. I just tested mine and like everyone else has said, it is the total weight. Mine goes to 11 (I couldn't resist).

I have this one and I love it.

Neat scale, GB. I love my Salter scale. The one that crapped out was wonderful, which is why I purchased another one, albeit its newer model. Love this one, too. I use my kitchen scale all the time. Don't know what I did without one before.

Back
Top Bottom