Kitchen timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I was going to purchase a new lux minute minder kitchen timer for when i put stuff in the oven. I started reading in reviews on how the old ones were better. I header over to ebay and i picked up a robertshaw minute minder for just about the same price of a new one but the one i picked up is about 40+ years old.

A picture of the timer i picked up.
capturebyd.jpg

What type of kitchen timers do members user here at DC?

OMG! I broke about 6 timers like that when I lived at home. I just buy my timers at the dollar store if I need them. I usually use the timer on my microwave though.

I use my microwave timer. It is much more accurate than the type you have above (not that I ever need to be THAT accurate). I use it because it is there so there is no need for an additional item which takes up space and has to be taken out when needed. My microwave is always out and easily accessible thus so is the timer.

Digital timers on the stove and the microwave. Digital timer on my Polder meat thermometer.

I don't know where you heard the old ones are better. Guaranteed, the digital ones are more accurate.

I have a 3 timer Sonoma Williams that I think stinks. Hard to use, eats batteries.
Also have 2 timers from the same era as yours. THose are handy because you can
carry them around the house.
If I am timing and in the kitchen I use my microwave timer too.

i never replacedmy wind-up timer and i want to. the ones i see sold are really junk.

I agree, very cool. When I was a teenager, my mom used this timer on me whenever I picked up the telephone to call my girlfriend.

I've had a Polder Thermo-Timer for many years. Shortly after I bought it, Alton Brown debuted on the Food Network. I was pleased with myself when I saw that it was also apparently his timer of choice. Works great. Thermal probe is attached to a long cord with detachable plug, and the alarm can be set to a temperature for perfect meats in the oven. My only gripes with it are: it sets only hour and minute, no seconds; and thermal probe is only safe to about 400-degrees.

Another dollar store timer user here. I take it with me if I leave the kitchen. Plus my oven timer is harder to hear and only beeps a few times. I have ADD and if I am super focused on something 2 or three beeps might not get through to me.

I'm have been looking for a count up timer and only a count up one not any thing else... and can't find one..
I want it for timing deep frying

I've got a Time Check by Component Design Northwest, Inc - Portland OR

three timers in one, can set individually to count up, count down - sideways mebbe, dunno.

the countdown is neat because after it alarms it continues to count negative secs - so when walk back in the kitchen and realize that was not a UFO ringing the doorbell, you know how far you've gone.....

I also have timers (both count up and count down) on my iPhone which is always on me so if I am in a different room I can use that.

i have a very basic digital one from BBB....it is small, easy to use and read, wasn't expensive, and has a nice loud/annoying beep....the part i like best is the fact that it's magnetic....so most of the time it stays on my stove hood, but i can move it to the fridge or anywhere else i need....of course, i guess i could just put the thing in my pocket if im moving all over the house

counting the time after the alarm sounds is a nice feature....i dont have and dont need it now, but i could see myself appreciating it if i ever did have it

At home I just set the timer on my range. Digital, minutes and hours. More accurate than that I use my watch. At work I use those obnoxious pyramid-shaped commercial jobbies.

Back
Top Bottom