Kitchen Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I have a Maverick timer and, while I love the functionality, I hate it eats batteries. And it doesn't use those cheap ones either.

What timer do you use? Why do you like it? What don't you like?

I like the 3 lines for countdown AND I can have a count up as well.

I like it remembers the times on each line. Wish it was a little quick to set, but that's not huge.

I like the display is easy to see (until the batteries start to get low).

I like that it has a stand and a magnet. Our kitchen cabinets are metal and this sticks right to em. It also has a screw hanger.

Did I mention I hate that it eats batteries?

Hmm - well mine takes batteries as well. In the positive column I never have any trouble hearing it ding when the foods done.....

foods done.jpg

;)

When we bought our second microwave a timer was included on the control panel. Due to circumstances beyond our control, after we wold that one every other microwave we've had includes a timer. Whereas I can't time three things at once, all of them have been extremely easy to use and worked very well.

Our microwave has a timer feature as well, but I can't cart it to the living room to keep an eye on the time. :)

I have the same kind of wind up timer I had since probably the 60's. No batteries, just a nice loud ringgggg!

Janet! That was hilarious!

Our stove has a timer as part of the clock function so I use it the most. I also have an old dial (twist) type timer, that doesn't require any batteries, that I use when steeping tea.
Sometimes I use the stopwatch function on my cell phone too.

I use the timer on the stove, which makes a lound buzz and doesn't stop until I turn it off.
I use the microwave as a timer.
I use my cell phone as timer.

I have a Maverick timer and, while I love the functionality, I hate it eats batteries. And it doesn't use those cheap ones either.

What timer do you use? Why do you like it? What don't you like?

I like the 3 lines for countdown AND I can have a count up as well.

I like it remembers the times on each line. Wish it was a little quick to set, but that's not huge.

I like the display is easy to see (until the batteries start to get low).

I like that it has a stand and a magnet. Our kitchen cabinets are metal and this sticks right to em. It also has a screw hanger.

Did I mention I hate that it eats batteries?
For a countdown I'm happy with our FMP 4-in-1.
For count-up I use a self-written dBase program which gives an audible alarm when the target time is reached but continues to count so that I can tell how much I have exceeded the target time.
The FMP uses a 9V battery but has a port for an AC adapter. I suspect the biggest drain is imposed when the audible alarm is operating, but the penetrating sound of the alarm is enough to encourage prompt quieting of the alarm.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - sorry about the smoke detector.... :blush:

Are you a mobile phone user? There are some awesome timer apps. This one is free...

I live in a quite old house (1854), and the kitchen some days feels like it is a mile from the living room and my computer station. Husband is a TV addict. So there is noise at the front of the house. SO the various timers mentioned don't do me a heck of a lot of good. They just are not loud enough for me to hear them over the TV/computer. So when I really need it, I carry the timer with me. But I will say I love the Polander one with the probe for things like roasted meat.

Andy M. said:
Timer on stove
Timer on microwave
Timer on probe thermometer
Wristwatch
Clock

Same here, as well as timers on iPad and iPhone. I've used cheapie clip on kitchen timers for tasks at work, they use watch batteries, but I've had some last for years on one battery. Some also have a magnet on the clippy thing.

I have also used Janet's method on occasion...

Last edited:
In their day, the old mechanical Robertshaws were quite nice. Now, since they've been cheapened (in quality but not price) and the manufacture outsourced overseas, they leave much to be desired

I do, on occasion, use my phone as a timer, though that is usually while at the boat. It is bigger and heavier than the Maverick and doesn't stick to the cabinets very well. :)

Please don't be sorry! I got a big laugh from that post!

You know you just encourage her. :ROFLMAO:

I have this little West Bend. I've had it for years (five ... six?) and have only had to put one replacement battery in it. I can set three separate timers on it and it displays the clock time as well. It follows me back and forth from the office to the kitchen (where it sticks onto the fridge with a magnet) =P

41BGA4E9A8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've also used my cellphone alarm when I'm out and about in the yard. =P

Last edited:
I use this one...cost me about $3. No batteries and I can carry it in my pocket.

Attachments

• ladybug timer.jpg
    ladybug timer.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 173
Back
Top Bottom