"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Katie, I have been to a few formal sit down dinners with several servants. Two diners to each servant. Think Downton Abby. When one plate is removed, so is the piece of eating utensil with it. The following should be of some help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Prop...qaaWZW_ElqM%3A
Never seen the program, Addie, but I know how it works. I was raised with instruction in etiquette and attended my share of ultra-formal meals while I lived in Washington, DC. Think embassies, etc.

My comment was just to point out how silly the Victorians were. I often commented that, in their view, more, more and more was always "better." Their furnishings were almost comical as well. Beautiful, but waaaaaay overdone.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #122
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sharp knives and a good quality sharpening steel.
One of the more successful gifts I have gotten for my Father-in-Law (who is a devout foodie, I'd even say gourmand as in his time foodies didn't exist), was an Arkansas stone.

Man is impossible to buy for, has most of the things he needs. Have to find that elusive gift that he needs, but doesn't know he needs.

If you don't have one a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novaculite stone is perhaps one of the best you can find. Japanese have some good rocks for sharpening steel.

I have a couple, having lived out near the Ozarks for a while, they were cheap and plentiful, one in the drawer, one with the camping stuff, one in the toolbox.

TBS

Old 09-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #123
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
My comment was just to point out how silly the Victorians were. I often commented that, in their view, more, more and more was always "better." Their furnishings were almost comical as well. Beautiful, but waaaaaay overdone.
The Vickys just got plain ridiculous after a while. It was about very fine class distinctions though. Brits are pretty good at that (don't mean to insult any British reading this, I don't think Yanks can complain about manners from the high ground ever again given this presidential campaign).

There is a worse alternative, one of my medieval studies professors in school used to have his more serious students over for *medevil* meals where we were all expected to bring a belt knife, eat off a trencher and bread plate, and not use any other silverware at all! I had a couple suitable hunting knives, but I'd always slightly piss him off by breaking the mood and using my swiss army knife, hey, he served crab. The hook on there is excellent for getting out that elusive claw meat.

Do think that having a melon fork and a fish fork, etc... is a little overblown; mainly done to create imaginary distinctions, oh, Mr. Doubghtmire, are we using the melon fork for fish today? How very Linconshire, but this is London society.....

I am rather confident that anyone who has taken my patented youtube erehweslefox FORK USE COURSE, can, after several seminars identify a fork, use any fork you find, or even in the advanced class fork-like tools (a spork certificate is offered), to eat most foods. ***please note, some processing of food is required before techniques are used, particularly any live food might not take kindly to being stuck with a fork****

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #124
Head Chef

Don't know if they are still in operation but for a while we had an evening supper being run on Ile Ste Helene. Very rustic. All sat at long benches, ate from trenchers, not sure what the utensil was, either a knife or a fork, but it was only one. The food was replicated of the times. Great fun and great entertainment. Wasn't cheap thou!

I know they have/had one in Florida and along the coast as well, so I'm sure there are many other places. Have to experience it at least once!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #125
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use sporks for most meals...
Old 09-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #126
Head Chef

So do my grndkids Fiona!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

When DH and I went to Ireland, we attended a medieval banquet in this 15th-century castle. That was great fun. Had my first taste of mead there.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Bunra...dievalBanquet/
Old 09-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #128
Assistant Cook

My wok... and all my other kitchen utensils!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #129
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice O. View Post
My wok\
Wok is good isn't it? It took me a while to warm up to mine (pun intended) carbon steel, and I normally cook on cast iron. Or the pots we got as wedding gifts, which are expensive so I rarely use them. I think they are made of aluminium, unobtanium or such.

I have a steel wok, and I find I have to get it up to a much hotter temperature than my cast iron pans. Once I get it hot, though, it is a reliable performer for many tasks.

Think we all have one recipe that nearly never works out but when it does it is awesome? I have a fish recipe that worked out twice, thai. When it worked it was awesome, it does involve a fairly hot wok, and adding milk and lemon juice and if you kind of screw up a little it will scald or curdle the milk. Thinking strongly about a tbsp of corn starch, but that is kind of my solution to everything.

TBS
Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #130
Master Chef

I couldn't work in my kitchen without a wok.........I use it for everything......

Tags
kitchen