"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
Master Chef

not exist......`i'm dealing with a computer made in the middle east and the keys are configured differently.....i guess so am `i.......ha!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
can `i ask which brand you use, Addie........cause `i'm looking for a good one and the cost is not a factor......`i have arthritis and need a reliable utensil........thanks for replying......```````:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My pleasure. It is an Oxo.

https://www.oxo.com/products/prepari...ndoline-slicer

The handle tilts down so that if you are holding it in your hand, You can create any angle your choose. Or you can use it over a bowl. The pusher has curved sides to grab the slicer and upward curved ends to protect your fingers. And it is inexpensive.
I have the Oxo too and it's great - I use it a lot. I also never use it without wearing THESE. I find that the pusher that comes with the mandoline is pretty useless. Wearing a safety glove on my slicing hand lets me slice right down to the last bit, and ensures that I don't end up with any extra protein mixed in with the veggies that I'm slicing.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have the Oxo too and it's great - I use it a lot. I also never use it without wearing THESE. I find that the pusher that comes with the mandoline is pretty useless. Wearing a safety glove on my slicing hand lets me slice right down to the last bit, and ensures that I don't end up with any extra protein mixed in with the veggies that I'm slicing.
Thanks y'all......and boy have some of my recipes had `'protein`' added to them........
Old 09-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
my sudoku knife comes to mind........

Never seen one of those. Does it have a grid on it with some numbers?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

These:
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm with Andy. Hands are critical. But, beyond those, um, handy tools, the three things I reach for most often are my granny fork, which now has a visible slant to the tines since I've had it and been using it for well over 40 years. My pigtail turner, which comes in a small and large size. The smaller of the two stays in the kitchen and is pressed into service nearly daily. And, finally, any of my silicone scrapers, especially the ones who stand up to high temps.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #27
Master Chef

speaking of the pigtail turner.......as `i'm on the short side of things, that baby and having arthritis has become a token grabber for stuff out of my reach in my pantry.......and anything else that has fallen behind the fridge or laundry room......do you think that it would qualify as a medical gadget? `it really does grab onto anything! ``````````:)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
These:
hands......what would we do without them.......no hugging and no cooking....oh no............you're so right, Andy!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
speaking of the pigtail turner.......as `i'm on the short side of things, that baby and having arthritis has become a token grabber for stuff out of my reach in my pantry.......and anything else that has fallen behind the fridge or laundry room......do you think that it would qualify as a medical gadget? `it really does grab onto anything! ``````````:)
I'm not short, but my pigtail turner has assisted in some of the same chores you mention. But, the task it excels at to the max is to prevent me from suffering the dreaded "breading finger/thumb" when I bread anything. Love, love, love it for that job. I've never made fried green tomatoes any better than with the pigtail turner.

Arthritis has caused me to get very creative in the kitchen and I've discovered lots of unconventional ways to get things done when I have really painful times.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm with Andy. Hands are critical. But, beyond those, um, handy tools, the three things I reach for most often are my granny fork, which now has a visible slant to the tines since I've had it and been using it for well over 40 years. My pigtail turner, which comes in a small and large size. The smaller of the two stays in the kitchen and is pressed into service nearly daily. And, finally, any of my silicone scrapers, especially the ones who stand up to high temps.
Pigtail turner - I have never heard of that and had to look it up. Interesting. I use tongs for that purpose.

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/s...ual_343195.JPG

Tags
kitchen