"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

My most used utensils are my Henckels Santoku chef's knife, my large wooden cutting board that lives on the counter, my bamboo spatula (you can tell it gets the most use since it's darker than the rest of the bamboo tools), and my silicon spatulas.

My Microplane zester and citrus juicer get a fair workout, too.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Pigtail turner - I have never heard of that and had to look it up. Interesting. I use tongs for that purpose.

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/s...ual_343195.JPG
Since I bought the pigtail turner, I rarely use tongs. The pressure of squeezing tongs really hurts some days, plus it compresses the food, especially items that have been breaded.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #33
Master Chef

my worst arthritis is between the thumb and index fingers........so you're right any squeezing activities are the worst...........luckily it's not rheumatoid arthritis.....and `i have people to help me open jars........`i used to play a lot tennis but not any more,,,,,,,,```````````:(
Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #34
Master Chef

To many things. Knives, pigtails, silicone spats, metal spats for the cast iron, micro plan grater. And on and on.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Paint scraper. Yes....I use this mostly when cooking in cast iron or roasting in the oven. It is great for dislodging food from the bottom without losing that nice crispy coating that has formed on the bottom. Ideal for homefries, roast chicken, breaded items on baking sheets, cookies, etc...pick one up. I'm sure you will use it more than you think..
I want one! But I can only find plastic handled and that will be a work of art very quickly around here as no one pays attention to heat since silicone became popular.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Kitchen utensils-what could you not live without?

Too many things here too, MsM. My microplanes and a bamboo spatula with holes in it, I reach for again and again.

I have a wonderful heavy-duty metal spatula I love, it looks like Rock's paint scraper. You can probably find paint scrapers at your local Sherwin Williams or in the hardware section at Walmart. I got mine at a huge kitchen store in MI many eons ago.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #37
Head Chef

Wine is not the utensil...

but the OPENER is!

Why didn't I think of that!

'course we could practice taking the cork off with a sword stroke...
Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #38
Master Chef

It would have to be my long handled grilling utensils for the outdoor "kitchen".
Old 09-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #39
Head Chef

Oh wow... now I have a new gadget to find for my kitchen...

those pigtail turners look fantastic! Never seen them before.

My latest gadget I just got at the kitchen store is an ultra thin tongs in silicone plastic stuff. Good for ultra thin stuff you want to turn. The version I got was about $6.00 although the staff tried to convince me to get the $45 version made with ultra high-end fashionable shiny steel. Truth to tell, I didn't even like the way it 'pinched'. It had no spring or tension to it. Think the cheaper was the better deal and am very happy with it.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Too many things here too, MsM. My microplanes and a bamboo spatula with holes in it, I reach for again and again.

I have a wonderful heavy-duty metal spatula I love, it looks like Rock's paint scraper. You can probably find paint scrapers at your local Sherwin Williams or in the hardware section at Walmart. I got mine at a huge kitchen store in MI many eons ago.
I can only find ones with plastic handles on Amazon, Lowes etc. I would want a wooden handle that won't melt.

Tags
kitchen