Kitchen utensils-what could you not live without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without a doubt, the single most indispensable tool on the planet! I carry mine in a holster on my belt.

Oh that is awesome, if I got one I'd carry it in an over the back holster I'd worry with the belt holster it would interfere with my ability to draw either my melon baler or the microplane grater at need.

If Peter Piper had a pickle picker how many pecks of pickles could Peter Piper pick?

And did he have a holster? ;)

If Peter Piper had a pickle picker how many pecks of pickles could Peter Piper pick?

And did he have a holster? ;)

Peter Piper possibly could pick pecks and pecks of pickles and then pick pecks of pickled peppers too, could Peter Piper pick but only with a pickle picker.

Mine was my grandma's and is in silver so I keep it wrapped in plastic, out only for special occasions :(.

Now just where are these pecks of pickles and pickled peppers Peter Piper picked with his pickle picker? ;)

I don't have a pickle picker. :(

Guess it's time to go shopping. :LOL:

Gotta keep up with the Joneses. :mrgreen:

The populace thought they could pick up a pickle picker for a pretty penny and pass it off as a prickly pear pruner to the hoi polloi and poletariats.

OK, I guess that's really lame, sounded good when I started off thou...:ermm:

Mine was my grandma's and is in silver so I keep it wrapped in plastic, out only for special occasions :(.

I, too, have a silver one. It's been in my family since I was a little girl and I'm not too far from 70. It was only used at special meals, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. That's how it gets used now. All the grandchildren think it's the coolest thing.

oh oh.... guess what - CWS has delivered us a dilemma... so choices, choices, choices....

my ramblings:-
The shaft length of the original picture suggests pickle picker, as does the fact of the picture of the pickle and jar included with it. duh...
The wire grippers on the end are what were/are used for sugar cubes, but usually situated on a much shorter shaft as sugar bowls were not deep.

My pickle picker is actually not very long in the shaft, but has two prongs at the end for "spearing" the pickle, then a plunger for pushing the pickle off.

It was used at the table to facilitate getting the pickle from the serving dish to the dinner plate with one hand so as not to have to push the pickle off the fork with a finger (horrors) or a knife (gauche). It was not used as a kitchen tool to fish pickles out of the jar.

My sugar tongs are just that... tongs. :LOL: and no, my coffee's not ready yet...

While I don't actually have a pickle picker, I have a flexible claw gripper in my tool box that's about 18"-24" long. The I have another that has a magnet on the end, for magnetic pickles.

What kitchen utensils/devices could you not live without???
Sharp knives and a good quality sharpening steel.

Magimix Grande Famille food processor

My 40 year old Le Creuset pans

A good quality chopping board cut from the length of the wood, not across the grain. Mine was a birthday present in the early 1980s , very expensive but has never warped or splintered or swollen. Not sure what the wood is. I would expect to be able leave it to my grandchildren and their children if I had any.

While I don't actually have a pickle picker, I have a flexible claw gripper in my tool box that's about 18"-24" long. The I have another that has a magnet on the end, for magnetic pickles.

Thank goodness you have two! Would not want 10W30 or Gunk on my pickle!

LOL - expat - no one said one has to have one! Just that some do and others reminisce about times that did!

99.999% of the time I use my fingers too! :LOL:

yup, my 'started' silverware set had pie forks similar to that, thou from a much later time. Think I still have them wrapped up somewhere.

I think you can still get the beef forks but I've only ever seen the "sardine" fork once.

Just came across this for some specialized utensils. We’re Fascinated By These Really Weird Forks | SAVEUR

Interesting piece Andy. I spent many decades in the antiques business, specializing in silver, glass and china. It was almost comical what resulted from Victorian beliefs. If one set a formal table with flatware and any of the diners was unfamiliar with how the elite dines. The "working from the outside of one's plate to the inside" would be a minor help and hugely mind-boggling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom