"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just to be clear here.

Backsplash means the whole wall from the counter top to the bottoms of the cabinets. NOT just a 4" vertical piece running along the back counter top.
In my particular kitchen, since the sink doesn't face a window (I wish), there's a section of wall facing me that runs between the cabinet to the left of the sink and the one to the right of the sink, and the "backsplash" carries up the wall some 3 feet to the cabinet top level. I have art in acrylic boxes hung here. And behind the range, the area of wall that reaches up to the vent and overhead cabinet is included in what I consider "backsplash." Sorry if I'm replying to a nonquestion, Andy.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Everyone's kitchen setup is different so it's good to hear options. I was just wondering which option the OP was asking about.

My backsplash runs from the counter to the cabinets. It covers the entire wall behind the stove. We chose neutral colors because that's what we prefer but others may like brighter colors. It really doesn't matter because in a few years it will all look out dated. Then a few years after that, it will be all the rage again.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #23
Master Chef

I have to tell you guys and gals, I kinda just gave up. We have a general contractor we trust. My husband had his heart set on a sunny yellow (I did get him tone it down a bit, but it is still bright). When I mentioned that I like some of the glass tiles I've seen, the GC came by with some tile. I was still uncertain, but went ahead. The GC had much better vision than I do, this was glass tiles interspersed with stone tiles. The glass tiles picked up the tones from the corian counters, and the stone picked up the dining room (an old house, remember, and the dining room has a stone wall).

The combination turned out much, much better than I thought. I wasn't sure about my husband's choice of yellow, but as the days shorten, I'm glad for the sunny look. And the tile (the paint was his choice, the tile mine) looks just gorgeous when you look at it from the hall and dining room (the house is an old shotgun-style, you can see the entire ground floor when you open the front door). It's turned out well.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have to tell you guys and gals, I kinda just gave up. We have a general contractor we trust. My husband had his heart set on a sunny yellow (I did get him tone it down a bit, but it is still bright). When I mentioned that I like some of the glass tiles I've seen, the GC came by with some tile. I was still uncertain, but went ahead. The GC had much better vision than I do, this was glass tiles interspersed with stone tiles. The glass tiles picked up the tones from the corian counters, and the stone picked up the dining room (an old house, remember, and the dining room has a stone wall).

The combination turned out much, much better than I thought. I wasn't sure about my husband's choice of yellow, but as the days shorten, I'm glad for the sunny look. And the tile (the paint was his choice, the tile mine) looks just gorgeous when you look at it from the hall and dining room (the house is an old shotgun-style, you can see the entire ground floor when you open the front door). It's turned out well.

Sometimes when a GC has a client that has difficulty making choices he has to be an interior designer as well. So glad it turned out so well for you. Enjoy your kitchen. And cook up some goodies for DH.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #25
Master Chef

Oh, by the way, no one was trying to sell me on glass tile. I just saw it in a lot of TV and magazines, and in stores, and liked the look. And it doesn't look out of place in my kitchen. Puh-leeze remember, I'm living in a really old house, not trying for a "retro" look. I seriously was afraid of what they'd find when they tore that ugly wallpaper down. Any time you have anything done in an old house, you seriously have to double in your mind the estimate and hope for the best. In this case, the guy who did most of the work did most of the wall work in our house (a lot, in the decade we've lived here) and we were all thrilled to find no substantive damage to the walls themselves. yay, yay, and hip, hip hooray!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #26
Master Chef

So true, Addie, and really true in my case. I have a hard time picturing everything together sometimes. Our GC took my ideas and my husband's and put them together, and it works for us. We spent a month having a few friends over at a time to see the new room. I'm sure some thought it was hideous, I mean, really, no one's taste is the same, but overall everyone enthused about the difference. All I know is that I no longer get up in the morning and walk into the kitchen and roll my eyes. I do know that the woman who had this house before us really didn't like being here, didn't like entertaining, and was just covering up stuff to re-sell it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Buying an old house is a challenge. I love the glass tiles. My son tiled in back of my stove and the wall over th sink. He put diamond shaped glass tiles in the center of some of the 4x4 white tiles. They really stand out and look so pretty.

The most important thing is, "are you happy with it? Do you want to walk into your kitchen?" Ignore the naysayers. They secretly are jealous because they can't remodel.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I understand Claire, I too have a hard time putting things all together. That is one of the things that has kept me from renovating my kitchen so far, that and budget. I have ideas, but don't trust myself to implement them. I know what I like, and then wonder if it'll look "dated" too soon. I really do love the look of glass tile.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Head Chef

How about glass subway tiles? I have one inch square glass tiles and they are easy to keep clean. Just Windex them occasionally.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #30
Head Chef

OOps! Just realized that this thread is kind of old and Claire has her kitchen done. sounds like you made some good choices both in the contractor and your choices.

Tags
kitchen